Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2021, 06:45 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,041,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
Let's check back on this post in a month or two, shall we?

And your second-to-last sentence is false, btw. I love how we've been told over and over that 'the science evolves' when it comes to the changing guidance on mask-wearing and other practices, but when it evolves in a direction you (the 'get the vaccine or else' folks) don't like, you're unable to accept it.

Here is just one example from May 2021. One of the most notable physicians to take up ivermectin’s cause is Yale School of Medicine Professor and renowned cancer researcher Dr. Alessandro Santin. The head of a large laboratory at Yale and author of over 250 science publications, Dr. Santin is renowned in his field for pioneering a treatment used worldwide for the most aggressive form of uterine cancer. “The bottom line is that ivermectin works."

As a reminder, the National Institutes of Health’s most recent recommendation was last updated on Feb. 11, when the NIH stated “there was insufficient evidence to recommend for or against ivermectin in Covid-19.”

One last note, I don't have a horse in the ivermectin race. I already had Covid. But it is becoming clear that the vaccine-insistent DO have a horse in the race. This inability to look at emerging information is, perhaps, due to the very human condition that we all want our choices to be the 'right' choices. For some reason, having another option to vaccination is threatening to that need to be right, when we should be able to say anything that lessens Covid is the 'right' choice.
We ALL have a horse in this race.

Another poster just posted what the manufacturer of Ivermectin says about using it against Covid....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post

The manufacturer, (of Ivermectin), Merck, has not pursued approval of Ivermectin for Covid-19.

On their website they say:

Company scientists continue to carefully examine the findings of all available and emerging studies of ivermectin for the treatment of COVID-19 for evidence of efficacy and safety. It is important to note that, to-date, our analysis has identified:

No scientific basis for a potential therapeutic effect against COVID-19 from pre-clinical studies;

No meaningful evidence for clinical activity or clinical efficacy in patients with COVID-19 disease, and;

A concerning lack of safety data in the majority of studies.

We do not believe that the data available support the safety and efficacy of ivermectin beyond the doses and populations indicated in the regulatory agency-approved prescribing information.

Merck does not make a Covid-19 vaccine, so i don't know how they would benefit by suppressing Ivermectin.

FDA can't approve a drug if no one has applied for approval.

Last edited by World Citizen; 08-01-2021 at 06:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2021, 06:47 PM

5,066 posts, read 2,273,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
When double-blind RCT studies are done and completed and the data verified, then we'll see what the outcome is, and if Ivermectin is effective and in what ways.
There have been around 50 studies done to date. I think 26 of them have been RCTs, but am not entirely sure on that one. A lot of people want to discredit some of these studies.

As Paul Sax (Clinical Director of the Division of Infectious Diseases at Brigham and Women’s Hospital and Professor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School) said of the ivermectin studies in one of his medical blogs:

"But we have to guard against two important biases here. First, that because we were burned by hydroxychloroquine means that all other repurposed antiparasitic drugs will fail too.

Second, that studies done in low- and middle-income countries must be discounted because, well, they weren’t done in the right places.

That’s not just bias, it’s also snobbery."

Old 08-01-2021, 06:58 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,570,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
My guess is that they didn't want to test people to see if they had antibodies so they just threw everyone in. Also the antibody test isn't particularly accurate with as much at 20% having false negative or positive.
The other thing is that you don't want to make the vaccination process more complicated. Look at how many people didn't even show up for their second dose of mRNA. Adding a test would require yet another appointment and even fewer people would show up for it all.

Old 08-01-2021, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
So did it work?
The poster tinytrump was given ivermectin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I said OK to being a guinea pig got the Ivermectin- prednisone and zpac cost me $22 and my zoom copays with Dr. My numbers were 85/86 on my oxymeter for 3 days. After meds that afternoon I had a weird moment and now I read 96/97 no fever and still taking the rest of the steroids. Feel 90% better. Not sure who orig came up with it, but hope it helps everyone- should be free for any can’t afford it. Kiss that Dr for me. I’m 68 just had surgery April n was still recovering with 1/2 vaxed. Had I been feeling better would have vaxed earlier.

Old 08-01-2021, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
Let's check back on this post in a month or two, shall we?

And your second-to-last sentence is false, btw. I love how we've been told over and over that 'the science evolves' when it comes to the changing guidance on mask-wearing and other practices, but when it evolves in a direction you (the 'get the vaccine or else' folks) don't like, you're unable to accept it.

Here is just one example from May 2021. One of the most notable physicians to take up ivermectin’s cause is Yale School of Medicine Professor and renowned cancer researcher Dr. Alessandro Santin. The head of a large laboratory at Yale and author of over 250 science publications, Dr. Santin is renowned in his field for pioneering a treatment used worldwide for the most aggressive form of uterine cancer. “The bottom line is that ivermectin works."

As a reminder, the National Institutes of Health’s most recent recommendation was last updated on Feb. 11, when the NIH stated “there was insufficient evidence to recommend for or against ivermectin in Covid-19.”

One last note, I don't have a horse in the ivermectin race. I already had Covid. But it is becoming clear that the vaccine-insistent DO have a horse in the race. This inability to look at emerging information is, perhaps, due to the very human condition that we all want our choices to be the 'right' choices. For some reason, having another option to vaccination is threatening to that need to be right, when we should be able to say anything that lessens Covid is the 'right' choice.
Nope.

There are still no randomized, placebo-controlled trials for Ivermectin as a treatment for COVID-19.

Old 08-01-2021, 07:03 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,728,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Nope.

There are still no randomized, placebo-controlled trials for Ivermectin as a treatment for COVID-19.
Why hasn’t the NIH funded one?

Old 08-01-2021, 07:04 PM

4,957 posts, read 2,233,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
We can also take the vaccine like tens of millions of others, without any serious side effects rather than hoping Ivermectin will cure the disease once you have it.
My Mom and Dad disagree with your statement on the vaccine. Well, Mom would disagree if she wasn't dead. Dad would probably intensely disagree on her behalf.

Ivermectin was the cure for 6 of us that contracted COVID, so I don't give a damn about your parroted establishment studies.

I KNOW what worked for us and what did NOT work for my parents.

Old 08-01-2021, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Ivermectin is very safe drug.

The vaccine’s safety hasn’t been proven. Neither has it’s efficacy.
Um, this is just blatantly false. All authorized vaccines have randomized, placebo-controlled trial data. It isn't long-term, but still better than nothing. You don't even have that with Ivermectin, you only have a few small-sample, unblind case studies. Which, incidentally, are also not long term. You have other studies of safety data, but you have no way of knowing if the dosage that would be effective is the same as the dosage that has been shown safe for other uses.

Old 08-01-2021, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Why hasn’t the NIH funded one?
Because medical research is chronically underfunded.

https://www.tfah.org/wp-content/uplo...lthFunding.pdf

Old 08-01-2021, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Nope.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34181716/

Quote:
Clin Infect Dis. 2021 Jun 28;ciab591. doi: 10.1093/cid/ciab591. Online ahead of print.
Ivermectin for the treatment of COVID-19: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials
Then how did this meta-analysis just come out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
We ALL have a horse in this race.

Another poster just posted what the manufacturer of Ivermectin says about using it against Covid....
They haven't pursued approval because it's off-label. They're not the only game in town anymore, and there's no money to be made from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies