Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2021, 01:57 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Welcome to Chicago! Murder Capital of the U.S.!!! As long as this HORRIBLE Mayor is in charge, you might as well buy your headstone in advance.
12 million+ residents of the city who don’t live or spend time in the most dangerous areas, might disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2021, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I can’t believe how many are shot but survived. They must be really tough or really bad shots. They should go to the shooting range more.
Experience matters.

The level 1 trauma hospitals closest to the most dangerous areas are among the best in the country.

Old 08-02-2021, 02:57 PM

5,070 posts, read 2,179,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Well, even if another election were held tomorrow, the idiots would just vote for another like-minded Democrat, and maintain the status quo.
lori has turned the whole city into a warzone, even areas once good are no longer safe!

Old 08-02-2021, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Well, when they catch the shooters...or felons with illegal guns....it's *poof* right back out on the street in Chicago under their bail reforms. (they have 90 people awaiting murder trial out on ankle monitoring right now)

The sad irony is all of the bleeding hearts in the suburbs and nice parts of the city that voted for bail reform but don't have to deal with the carnage in the poor neighborhoods.

Somewhere out there we have little coffee clutches of white Karens in places like Barrington, Gold Coast, Evanston and Lake Forest etc. clucking about how *sniff* progressive they were to push for bail reform. Meanwhile the citizens of places like Austin (chicago neighborhood) aren't doing so well.
The black caucus of the STATE legislature wrote the Pre-trial Fairness Act that intends to eliminate cash bail for NON- VIOLENT crime by 2023. It makes some sense on the surface because pre- trial freedom has historically been based on the ability to raise bail. Two people could be charged with the same crime. One is able to pay bail and is set free while the other rots in jail, sometimes for years.

Shooting is a violent crime and is outside of this legislation.

Too often, those charged with violent crime, including murder, are released with electronic monitoring and commit new crimes. Rinse and repeat. This is a county thing decided by county judges.

Mayor Lightfoot minces no words when it comes to her low opinion of the county and state’s laxness on bail, prosecution, conviction, sentencing and parole. She and CPD are lock step on this.

It really does not matter who is mayor or their political leaning in Chicago when it comes to the number of shootings. Peak year for homicide in Chicago was 1974 when the beloved Richard J Daley was mayor. Another rough patch in the early - mid 90’’s.

The people in the most dangerous communities choose to not cooperate with Police. If not for cameras…….
Once arrested, it’s up to the county to take evidence and charge or not. Once charged the county has to prosecute. The county prosecutor and defended agree to plea deals. Then it’s up to a county judge, unless a trial can’t be avoided.

The Mayor is between the proverbial rock and hard place.

Old 08-02-2021, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert9 View Post
lori has turned the whole city into a warzone, even areas once good are no longer safe!
Really? The whole city?

Was just there this past weekend as I am most weekends. old Town area, this time. Did not perceive anything resembling a war zone. No shortage of people out and about, everywhere.

Granted, I don’t go to the 5/25 districts where most shootings occur. I have no reason to do so. I also have no contact with anyone who affiliates with gangs.

Lolapalooza hosted 400,000 people this weekend in Grant Park, one of the largest multi-day music events in the country. No one shot. No violence.

I am as disgusted as anyone what a relatively small subset of the population did on Michigan Ave, after Geo Floyd. Even more disgusted these animals destroyed hundreds of black- owned ma- pa businesses in black neighborhoods that don’t have the deep pockets of big name businesses. Then a different subset engaged in what is likely the single largest overnight looting event in modern history, last August , triggered by intentional l lies posted on Facebook. Appears most showed for free stuff as opposed to express rage. A part of this was organized crime.

Old 08-02-2021, 05:04 PM

8,064 posts, read 12,779,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I can’t believe how many are shot but survived. They must be really tough or really bad shots. They should go to the shooting range more.
You have to factor in the marksmanship skills of the average gangbanger. Another factor to be considered is the type of ammunition the shooters are using. I wonder if they are buying the "ball" ammo because it's cheaper or are buying higher-end ammo.

Old 08-02-2021, 05:10 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,028,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
You have to factor in the marksmanship skills of the average gangbanger. Another factor to be considered is the type of ammunition the shooters are using. I wonder if they are buying the "ball" ammo because it's cheaper or are buying higher-end ammo.
Sane people defend themselves with hollow points because they kill the intended target. Chicagos dindus spray and pray because they know they won't be prosecuted for killing children with stray bullets.

Old 08-03-2021, 08:15 AM

78,414 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The black caucus of the STATE legislature wrote the Pre-trial Fairness Act that intends to eliminate cash bail for NON- VIOLENT crime by 2023. It makes some sense on the surface because pre- trial freedom has historically been based on the ability to raise bail. Two people could be charged with the same crime. One is able to pay bail and is set free while the other rots in jail, sometimes for years.

Shooting is a violent crime and is outside of this legislation.

Too often, those charged with violent crime, including murder, are released with electronic monitoring and commit new crimes. Rinse and repeat. This is a county thing decided by county judges.

Mayor Lightfoot minces no words when it comes to her low opinion of the county and state’s laxness on bail, prosecution, conviction, sentencing and parole. She and CPD are lock step on this.

It really does not matter who is mayor or their political leaning in Chicago when it comes to the number of shootings. Peak year for homicide in Chicago was 1974 when the beloved Richard J Daley was mayor. Another rough patch in the early - mid 90’’s.

The people in the most dangerous communities choose to not cooperate with Police. If not for cameras…….
Once arrested, it’s up to the county to take evidence and charge or not. Once charged the county has to prosecute. The county prosecutor and defended agree to plea deals. Then it’s up to a county judge, unless a trial can’t be avoided.

The Mayor is between the proverbial rock and hard place.
1. I'm not blaming Lightfoot for all of those things...but they're all coming from the same political party. It's a shell game of blame and rationalization but don't worry, they'll all just blame guns and the rest of the state and Indiana lol.

2. Pointing to past horrible homicides is not productive in addressing WHY after years of progress we are regressing. It'd be like passing some new law against blacks and defending it by saying "well it used to be a lot worse for them during Jim Crow". Let's not sugar coat this bad trend because it's politically uncomfortable.

Old 08-03-2021, 08:19 AM

5,070 posts, read 2,179,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Really? The whole city?

Was just there this past weekend as I am most weekends. old Town area, this time. Did not perceive anything resembling a war zone. No shortage of people out and about, everywhere.

Granted, I don’t go to the 5/25 districts where most shootings occur. I have no reason to do so. I also have no contact with anyone who affiliates with gangs.

Lolapalooza hosted 400,000 people this weekend in Grant Park, one of the largest multi-day music events in the country. No one shot. No violence.

I am as disgusted as anyone what a relatively small subset of the population did on Michigan Ave, after Geo Floyd. Even more disgusted these animals destroyed hundreds of black- owned ma- pa businesses in black neighborhoods that don’t have the deep pockets of big name businesses. Then a different subset engaged in what is likely the single largest overnight looting event in modern history, last August , triggered by intentional l lies posted on Facebook. Appears most showed for free stuff as opposed to express rage. A part of this was organized crime.
Do you live here????? I have for 50 years and I know many people that are leaving what used to be good areas like the Gold Coast and River North and even downtown and Lincoln Park because crime in those once safe areas are getting bad. Hell even businesses are closing and leaving!

Old 08-03-2021, 08:22 AM

78,414 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert9 View Post
That's not true.

I have lived in the city and burbs of Chicago, can't tell you how many friends over the years I've had to explain to about how the city is actually pretty safe if you stay out of the bad neighborhoods.

Get a lot of people saying this stuff and they've got zero actual idea of what they're talking about, just repeating what they heard on the news in catchy sayings like Chiraq etc.

Here's a map of Chicago's shootings. South side and west side well away from the lake and many of those neighborhoods if you do some studying are literally walled and fenced off by rail lines and interstates.

https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/474285404499915652/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies