Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2021, 05:17 AM

33,462 posts, read 17,964,674 times

Advertisements

To tell you the truth I like Trader Joes better than Whole Foods. And I also like Aldi's for certain things. I like the croissant bread at Joes and I also like the potato salad at Aldi's. I didn't find anything great at Whole Foods to make the trip. I shop at 8 different stores in my area. I don't discriminate against Walmart either. It depends what area the store is in to who goes there. The Walmart I go to is all food and brand new .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2021, 05:27 AM

58,414 posts, read 26,740,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
This has probably been covered before, but I just uncovered this factoid that illustrates the growing split between Blue and Red America.

Democrats have been gaining in primarily suburban counties that have Whole Foods Markets, while Republicans have been gaining in primarily rural areas that have Cracker Barrels. The “gap” has been steadily growing since Bill Clinton won in 1992.

1992: Clinton carried 60% of Whole Food counties, but just 20% of Cracker Barrel counties for a gap of 40%.
2000: Bush carried 43% of WF counties; 75% of CB for a gap of 32%.
2008: Obama won 78% of WF counties; 36% of CB for a gap of 42%.
2016: Trump won 22% of WF counties; 74% of CB for a gap of 52%
2020: Biden won 85% of WF counties; 32% of CB for a gap of 53%

https://www.businessinsider.com/high...ection-2020-12

Another way of stating it from the same article; the larger the number of white college graduates in an area, the more likely it’s a Democratic area.
PSSST! Whole Food is a grocery store. Crackle Barrel is a RESTAURANT.

Apple and oranges.

Old 08-04-2021, 07:39 AM

29,751 posts, read 18,615,199 times
It is interesting and concerning to me, Republicans need a candidate to reverse this trend. However, wife and I are the opposite of the trend as we are Republicans and much more apt to go to Whole Foods than Cracker Barrel.

Old 08-04-2021, 07:58 AM

72,797 posts, read 62,084,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
It is interesting and concerning to me, Republicans need a candidate to reverse this trend. However, wife and I are the opposite of the trend as we are Republicans and much more apt to go to Whole Foods than Cracker Barrel.
I'm more or less an Independent these days. I went to Whole Foods yesterday. Cracker Barrel has never been my thing. I've been to it. However, it's not my thing.

I don't think there will be many Republicans out there to reverse it. It might have worked in the Reagan years, or Bush Sr. Not in 2021. Things have changed dramatically.

Old 08-04-2021, 08:27 AM

72,797 posts, read 62,084,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower72 View Post
There's a good reason why Pew et al. rarely differentiate party affiliation by income level.

63% of voters earning under $15,000 vote Democrat.
63% of voters earning over $200,000 vote Republican.

If true, this implies that Democrat strongholds skew to less productive college graduates. They congregate in urban spaces just beyond smelling distance of the condensed low-income minority plantations they claim neo-feudalistic possession over.

I've always wondered how STEM and liberal-arts majors stratify politically.
I think you are wrong, and this is why.

1) Those links you posted said nothing of college graduation rates or the majors taken.
2) There are other factors that the map does not take into consideration.

I will break this down more succinctly. The map says Democrats tend to concentrate on the coasts. It takes into account STATES, not cities and counties.

Other things left out include race, age, and professions. 63% of those making 200k or more might be Republicans. However, how do said persons make their money? This has to be asked because alot of people in the tech industry tend to lean liberal. I suspect the bulk of 200K income individuals tend to be business owners, work in sales, work in oil and gas, real estate, etc. I also consider this. Whites are more likely to make that amount of money than any other group. And a large share of Whites tend to vote Republican.

Black Americans, on the other hand, will vote Democrat REGARDLESS of what they make, how far they got in school, and regardless of profession. The South might be a conservative region, but Democratic votes are the highest in predominantly Black counties (there are more Blacks in the South than any other U.S. region). Blacks tend to make less money than other groups.

Making this about "White liberal arts majors" doesn't give the whole picture.

Old 08-04-2021, 02:09 PM

29,751 posts, read 18,615,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'm more or less an Independent these days. I went to Whole Foods yesterday. Cracker Barrel has never been my thing. I've been to it. However, it's not my thing.

I don't think there will be many Republicans out there to reverse it. It might have worked in the Reagan years, or Bush Sr. Not in 2021. Things have changed dramatically.
I don't think that's true if the Republicans get their right candidate and/or catastrophe strikes during the administration of Weekend at Bernie's cadaver President....time will tell.

Old 08-04-2021, 02:18 PM

4,288 posts, read 2,039,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
This has probably been covered before, but I just uncovered this factoid that illustrates the growing split between Blue and Red America.

Democrats have been gaining in primarily suburban counties that have Whole Foods Markets, while Republicans have been gaining in primarily rural areas that have Cracker Barrels. The “gap” has been steadily growing since Bill Clinton won in 1992.

1992: Clinton carried 60% of Whole Food counties, but just 20% of Cracker Barrel counties for a gap of 40%.
2000: Bush carried 43% of WF counties; 75% of CB for a gap of 32%.
2008: Obama won 78% of WF counties; 36% of CB for a gap of 42%.
2016: Trump won 22% of WF counties; 74% of CB for a gap of 52%
2020: Biden won 85% of WF counties; 32% of CB for a gap of 53%

https://www.businessinsider.com/high...ection-2020-12

Another way of stating it from the same article; the larger the number of white college graduates in an area, the more likely it’s a Democratic area.
I am voting for chicken fried steak over all natural quiche with some hummus as a side in the next elections.

But what about Waffle House?

Old 08-04-2021, 02:32 PM

32,799 posts, read 12,086,386 times
Quote:

Same here re the bolded.

My house is in The Woodlands, TX...which has a Whole Foods...but I don't particularly like that Whole Foods. I prefer the Whole Foods at Louetta and Cutten (which has an indoor (open to the store)/outdoor upstairs lounge) and the one on Post Oak near The Galleria which has an upstairs indoor lounge (open to the store) that has both tables to work on and, in another area, padded lounge chairs, and a free underground garage. I can get coffee, and refills, buy food to eat there at both, use the wi-fi, and shop for items to take with me when I leave.

Old 08-04-2021, 02:37 PM

Quote:
I think you are wrong, and this is why.

1) Those links you posted said nothing of college graduation rates or the majors taken.
2) There are other factors that the map does not take into consideration.

I will break this down more succinctly. The map says Democrats tend to concentrate on the coasts. It takes into account STATES, not cities and counties.

Other things left out include race, age, and professions. 63% of those making 200k or more might be Republicans. However, how do said persons make their money? This has to be asked because alot of people in the tech industry tend to lean liberal. I suspect the bulk of 200K income individuals tend to be business owners, work in sales, work in oil and gas, real estate, etc. I also consider this. Whites are more likely to make that amount of money than any other group. And a large share of Whites tend to vote Republican.

Black Americans, on the other hand, will vote Democrat REGARDLESS of what they make, how far they got in school, and regardless of profession. The South might be a conservative region, but Democratic votes are the highest in predominantly Black counties (there are more Blacks in the South than any other U.S. region). Blacks tend to make less money than other groups.

Making this about "White liberal arts majors" doesn't give the whole picture.

More likely than Asians ?

Are you sure ?

Old 08-04-2021, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
I am voting for chicken fried steak over all natural quiche with some hummus as a side in the next elections.

But what about Waffle House?

There are some places in the Houston metro where a Waffle House and a Whole Foods aren't too far apart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies