Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2021, 07:11 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets_go_hawks View Post
This “statistic” is utterly ridiculous.

1) One person earning minimum wage needs 1 bedroom, not 2. So cut the rent in half and assume they’ve got a roommate.
2) A person who is earning the minimum possible should be renting at the cheapest, most minimalistic place possible - not a median or market rate apartment.
Where do you find those cheap places?
Every apartment is a market rate apartment for a given area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2021, 07:16 AM

78,405 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Illegals are a bogeyman in this conversation to distract from the point. No person should struggle to pay for housing, food, clothing, medical care, child care, and education while working a 40 hour week. Anything short of that is an excuse.

There is no real world evidence that raising minimum wage has the severe impact suggested by pure supply/demand curves.
We'll just flood in more illegals and pay them less than minimum wage like they've already been doing.

Oh, and in many states we'll feed, house, educate and give medical care to their kids making lower wages etc. even more attractive.

So yes, by all means continue to prop up a framework where US citizens in the blue collar areas have their wages undercut by illegals and then wonder why progress never comes for them.

Notice I'm not arguing against a higher min. wage. I'm pointing out that they are just a political Maguffin designed to distract as a solution that they will not actually be. (It will help some, it will render others nigh unemployable, see CBO non-partisan analysis)

P.S. Also please note that via substitution, even if no illegals work at your widget factory doesn't mean that their working at the local chicken facility doesn't impact the labor pool at the widget factory.

Last edited by Mathguy; 08-02-2021 at 07:28 AM..

Old 08-02-2021, 07:17 AM

27,142 posts, read 15,313,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICANRICAN View Post
The op and others leave out that florida has no state income tax!!
....and the Sales tax is still 6% just as it was when I moved there in 1979.

Now I am in Texas for 26 years where the sales tax is higher but still no State Income Tax and higher wages.

Old 08-02-2021, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
So in 40 years, the minimum wage has only risen by $4/hr...but rent has more than tripled.

YOU do the math.

Workers are screwed.

Minimum wage in Florida is currently $8 an hour. It won’t be $15 an hour until 2026. God only knows what rent will be in 5 years.
Thank you!

Forty years ago my husband and I rented a lovely three bedroom in Park Slope, Brooklyn for $155.00 per month.
Rents in that area now start around $3000.00 per month!

Yes, that may be an extreme example, but it’s playing out similarly all over the country.

Old 08-02-2021, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
I bought my first house when I was making $12/hr.
How long ago?
Could you buy your house today making $12.00 an hour?

Old 08-02-2021, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
That has nothing to do with what I said.

The fact is that income has not kept pace with housing prices.
Math pop quiz....has it kept pace with housing payments?

My first house (mid 1990's) was a 140k mortgage at 9.25% interest, payment = 1,151
Interest rates near 3.5% in some cases and a payment of 1,151 equates to a mortgage over 250k.

Also, you're measuring the peak of a housing bubble.

Does this help people understand that mapping house price to wages in wildly different interest rate environments and against a backdrop of supply\demand short term bubbles is grossly anti-science?

So you have to ask yourself, have the people pushing this narrative to you taken these considerations into their analysis or are they not sufficiently educated on the topic to do a proper analysis or are they aware but shading the truth to push their agenda dishonestly?

Old 08-02-2021, 07:27 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,917,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
We'll just flood in more illegals and pay them less than minimum wage like they've already been doing.

Oh, and in many states we'll feed, house, educate and give medical care to their kids making lower wages etc. even more attractive.

So yes, by all means continue to prop up a framework where US citizens in the blue collar areas have their wages undercut by illegals and then wonder why progress never comes for them.

Notice I'm not arguing against a higher min. wage. I'm pointing out that they are just a political Maguffin designed to distract as a solution that they will not actually be.

P.S. Also please note that via substitution, even if no illegals work at your widget factory doesn't mean that their working at the local chicken facility doesn't impact the labor pool at the widget factory.
To repeat, illegals are irrelevant to this topic. That a small part of the economy is worked by illegal immigrants has nothing to do with the fact that minimum wage isn't something people can live on. The problem with workers in blue collar areas are that ultra wealthy keep the profits, and play up bogeyman like illegal immigrants as an excuse to not pay a fair wage. I've seen enough of that in real life to know the reality of what I'm saying.

Old 08-02-2021, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
How long ago?
Could you buy your house today making $12.00 an hour?
Assuming a couple, $24 x 40hrs x 4weeks x .8remove taxes = approx. 3k of which about 1/4 could go for mortgage or around 750.

That's a mortgage of around 165k at 3.5% interest for 30 years.

That's very doable in many parts of the country.

One key area where this forum struggles is the complete and utter lack of geographic diversity so many posters have in their life experience. The world is not comprised of east and west coast urban areas and suburbs where a starter home is north of 500k in many places.

If anyone doubts that 165k gets a house today, just pick out any number of towns around the midwest.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...earch/Dixon_IL

Old 08-02-2021, 07:38 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets_go_hawks View Post
This “statistic” is utterly ridiculous.

1) One person earning minimum wage needs 1 bedroom, not 2. So cut the rent in half and assume they’ve got a roommate.
2) A person who is earning the minimum possible should be renting at the cheapest, most minimalistic place possible - not a median or market rate apartment.
If they are just one person, yes. If they have kids, the story gets different. And before anyone says, who told them to have kids if they were working minimum wage, stick it. We don't know what got them to this point. Perhaps they escaped an abusive partner. Perhaps they had their partner die tragically die young.

I wish Disney could do what Universal is working on and open housing for their workers who need apartments. Without it, their pool of workers gets slimmer and slimmer.

Old 08-02-2021, 07:48 AM

6,384 posts, read 2,707,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
"Minimum wage work" has expanded beyond fast food joints.
Yes it has...pretty much any "service" industry job will start you out at minimum wage. You want a better job...get a better education.

Quote:
Nowhere did the article specify that minimum wage workers are single, or without children.
Let me guess you are for a "living wage". So what does that mean? You can't be talking about paying someone based on their demographics. Where a person with a kid and a spouse gets paid more than a single person. After all, didn't women fight for decades to get "equal pay for equal work"?

You then must mean that we need to base the "living wage" on a set demographic. Perhaps we should base the minimum wage on a person who has a spouse and 2 kids and wants to live in a middle-class neighborhood, in a 3 bedroom apartment and 2 cars. That's great for the single guy working his way through college sharing an apartment with 3 other guys. Should we base the minimum wage on a Full-Time or Part-Time job? After all how can a person "live" on Part-Time hours?

Quote:
Do you have a crystal ball? Do you know for certain what the future holds?
So of course because someone may need a 2 bedroom apartment at some point in the future they should get one now...just in case. Here is a thought...get a cheaper apartment now and put money in savings. I know that is some radical thought for some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies