Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2021, 11:10 AM

7,817 posts, read 2,903,503 times

Advertisements

I have a sincere question: When are more people on the Left going to admit that, whatever their politics, the corporate media they consume is irrevocably damaged? It cannot tell the truth. About anything. Particularly when it comes to one Donald J. Trump.

Quote:
...a review of the notes from that December 27, 2020 meeting, provided by the Biden administration to the House Committee on Oversight and Reform and posted on the latter’s webpage, expose the Times as once again a purveyor of fake news.

While the Times claimed the above exchange occurred during a phone call in which Trump “pressed” Rosen and Donoghue “on voter fraud claims that the department had disproved,” the “just say that the election was corrupt” comment came in an entirely different portion of the discussion, the handwritten notes establish.

Trump didn’t tell his acting attorney general and deputy AG to ignore the department’s conclusion that there was no fraud and to instead announce to Americans that the election was corrupt, leaving it to him and his “congressional allies” to overturn the results of the election. Rather, Trump wanted the DOJ to make that announcement following confirmation that more ballots were cast in Pennsylvania then there were registered voters.
https://thefederalist.com/2021/08/02...ction-corrupt/

Please take note that there are screenshots provided of the Meeting Notes.

So, not only did the NYT lie, they did so provably. Yet again.

The good news? Any Democrat, at any time, can decide they've had enough of their emotions being manipulated, and being played for fools by the media. At any time, you can simply walk away.

I sure did. And I'm quite happy to begin embracing the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2021, 11:28 AM

2,367 posts, read 910,329 times
Irrevocably damaged is right.

I consider myself independent. I've lost trust in NYT and I refuse to read anything from that newspaper again. It doesn't matter if once in a while they publish something that's fair (or is it really..?) Doesn't matter. I'm not coming back.

It's hard to build a good reputation. Once it's lost, even harder to get it back.

Old 08-02-2021, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPibbs View Post
Irrevocably damaged is right.

I consider myself independent. I've lost trust in NYT and I refuse to read anything from that newspaper again. It doesn't matter if once in a while they publish something that's fair (or is it really..?) Doesn't matter. I'm not coming back.

It's hard to build a good reputation. Once it's lost, even harder to get it back.

Well said. I commend you.

Old 08-02-2021, 12:09 PM

57,317 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyRepub View Post
I have a sincere question: When are more people on the Left going to admit that, whatever their politics, the corporate media they consume is irrevocably damaged? It cannot tell the truth. About anything. Particularly when it comes to one Donald J. Trump.

https://thefederalist.com/2021/08/02...ction-corrupt/

Please take note that there are screenshots provided of the Meeting Notes.

So, not only did the NYT lie, they did so provably. Yet again.

The good news? Any Democrat, at any time, can decide they've had enough of their emotions being manipulated, and being played for fools by the media. At any time, you can simply walk away.

I sure did. And I'm quite happy to begin embracing the truth.
Huh? The NYTimes article is based on the press release from the House Oversight Committee Chair, never heard anyone from the GOP side question the accuracy. Jim Jordan and Paul Gosar are on the committee, did they take issue with the press release.

So this Trump quote is out of context? Normal process for a sitting president?

Quote:
[I] don’t expect you to do that, just say that the election was corrupt + leave the rest to me and the R. Congressmen.”
They did not supply copies of the notes but they also had testimony.

So if the Federalist Claim is accurate then the problem lies with the committee not the NYTimes. But even if what the Federalist indicates is true, why is a losing presidential candidate contacting the DOJ on election results in the first place.

Quote:
Washington, D.C. (July 30, 2021)—Today, Rep. Carolyn B. Maloney, the Chairwoman of the Committee on Oversight and Reform, released handwritten notes taken by then-Acting Deputy Attorney General Richard P. Donoghue of a December 27, 2020, phone call with former President Donald J. Trump and former Acting Attorney General Jeffrey Rosen. These notes reveal attempts by former President Trump to directly pressure the two most senior officials at the Department of Justice (DOJ) to overturn the certified results of the 2020 election or risk losing their jobs.

Chairwoman Maloney issued the following statement in light of the new revelations:

“These handwritten notes show that President Trump directly instructed our nation’s top law enforcement agency to take steps to overturn a free and fair election in the final days of his presidency,” Chairwoman Maloney said. “The Committee has begun scheduling interviews with key witnesses to investigate the full extent of the former President’s corruption, and I will exercise every tool at my disposal to ensure all witness testimony is secured without delay.”

The handwritten notes of the December 27, 2020, meeting provide additional evidence that former President Trump pressured top DOJ officials
https://oversight.house.gov/news/pre...o-overturn-the

Last edited by Goodnight; 08-02-2021 at 12:23 PM..

Old 08-02-2021, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post

So if the Federalist Claim is accurate then the problem lies with the committee not the NYTimes.

No, actually I can chew gum and walk at the same time.

If the "Paper of Record" (*snicker*) wants to go ahead and officially report something is true without...eerr....investigating it - well, that doesn't speak too highly of their journalistic standards, now does it?

And it's funny how the "mistakes" only ever go in one direction, isn't it? Never has the NY Times erred on the side of Republicans.

But I'm glad that real journalists over at the Federalist were able to produce the actual receipts so we can objectively judge what is true.

The NY Times could not be relied on to do that, and this is a consistent pattern that eviscerates any credibility they once may have had.

Old 08-02-2021, 12:30 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:

If the "Paper of Record" (*snicker*) wants to go ahead and officially report something is true without...eerr....investigating it - well, that doesn't speak too highly of their journalistic standards, now does it?

And it's funny how the "mistakes" only ever go in one direction, isn't it? Never has the NY Times erred on the side of Republicans.

But I'm glad that real journalists over at the Federalist were able to produce the actual receipts so we can objectively judge what is true.

The NY Times could not be relied on to do that, and this is a consistent pattern that eviscerates any credibility they once may have had.

NONE of which refutes: “These handwritten notes show that President Trump directly instructed our nation’s top law enforcement agency to take steps to overturn a free and fair election in the final days of his presidency,” Chairwoman Maloney said. “The Committee has begun scheduling interviews with key witnesses to investigate the full extent of the former President’s corruption, and I will exercise every tool at my disposal to ensure all witness testimony is secured without delay.”

Old 08-02-2021, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
NONE of which refutes: “These handwritten notes show that President Trump directly instructed our nation’s top law enforcement agency to take steps to overturn a free and fair election in the final days of his presidency,” Chairwoman Maloney said.

Actually literally all of it does. The Federalist article, along with the actual notes of the Meeting Minutes, shows that Trump's quote was completely taken out of context.

You seem so shocked that the NY Times and the Democrats would ever lie to you.

Old 08-02-2021, 02:11 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,220,852 times
Quote:
Huh? The NYTimes article is based on the press release from the House Oversight Committee Chair, never heard anyone from the GOP side question the accuracy. Jim Jordan and Paul Gosar are on the committee, did they take issue with the press release.

So this Trump quote is out of context? Normal process for a sitting president?

They did not supply copies of the notes but they also had testimony.

So if the Federalist Claim is accurate then the problem lies with the committee not the NYTimes. But even if what the Federalist indicates is true, why is a losing presidential candidate contacting the DOJ on election results in the first place.

The truth hurts Trump every time.

Old 08-02-2021, 03:59 PM

57,317 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:

Well it seems you have difficulty in the point I was making and revert into the usual rant about the NY Times which was your point in starting this thread. So you don't have a problem with the committee, it's the NY Times for reporting their press release, got it.

Yes the "real" journalists are over at the Federalist. LOL

Any comments on any of my points, anything.

Old 08-02-2021, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Well it seems you have difficulty in the point I was making and revert into the usual rant about the NY Times which was your point in starting this thread. So you don't have a problem with the committee, it's the NY Times for reporting their press release, got it.

"Reporting" a press release?

That's akin to hitting the "Forward" button on an Email.

But we shouldn't expect journalists to actually speak truth to power and, every once in a while, actually investigate those in charge.

Well, at least not if they're NY Times hacks.

The Paper that gave us the Iraq War and Russia Gate is such an esteemed rag, after all...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies