Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2021, 09:47 PM

21,475 posts, read 10,575,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
We should have had enough masks. Don't blame it on Obama. The pandemic was in the last year of the Trump administration. Much of the resistance was a direct effect of Trump's wishy-washy dealing with the virus.

I made my own masks. It wasn't complicated.
It appears that states and the federal government didn’t think it very easy to spend the money or store huge stockpiles of masks that have a limited shelf life. If only we didn’t allow all these corporations to shift manufacturing to other countries we could have had a source for masks earlier in the pandemic.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/04/...ore-the-virus/
An Associated Press review of more than 20 states found that before the coronavirus outbreak many had at least a modest supply of N95 masks, gowns, gloves and other medical equipment. But those were often well past their expiration dates — left over from the H1N1 influenza outbreak a decade ago.

The shortage of supplies stemmed from a variety of factors — a decline in public health funding, a cost-saving dependence on having inventory on hand only for immediate use and a belief that the federal government could come to the rescue with its Strategic National Stockpile.

———

Ohio, like many states, began storing some supplies after the 2001 terrorist attacks. But its financial commitment has waned after each crisis was averted, said Deborah Arms, president of the Ohio Nurses Association, who led the state health department’s prevention division from the late 1990s to 2008.

“It’s always difficult for public health in these kinds of disasters to be able to advocate for continual funding … for something that might take 10 years to see a result,” she said.

Michigan, which has the third-highest coronavirus death toll among U.S. states, had 53,500 gloves left over from past epidemics, 5,120 N95 masks, 5,000 surgical masks and just 500 face shields among its pre-coronavirus supplies.

Last edited by katygirl68; 08-04-2021 at 09:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2021, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Yes, they do. Stop going to nutsrus.com.

Every damn country that beat this virus utilized masks.
What country beat this virus? As far as I can tell Covid has become endemic on a global scale. The only one I know that seems better off now is Sweden.

Old 08-04-2021, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
Yes we did that stuff....but too late to nip it in the bud.
Which is to be expected with a virus made to be as infectious to humans as a common cold with a 14-day incubation period in a country with a global economy and over a million people per day entering the United States or returning to the United States (per the Department of Homeland Security - https://www.dhs.gov/how-do-i/cross-us-borders).

We were never going to nip that in the bud. It didn’t matter who the president was, it would have never been done.

Old 08-04-2021, 11:31 PM

18,562 posts, read 7,372,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Which is to be expected with a virus made to be as infectious to humans as a common cold with a 14-day incubation period in a country with a global economy and over a million people per day entering the United States or returning to the United States (per the Department of Homeland Security - https://www.dhs.gov/how-do-i/cross-us-borders).

We were never going to nip that in the bud. It didn’t matter who the president was, it would have never been done.
If Trump had tried anything bold, the media would have removed him from office.

Old 08-05-2021, 12:45 AM

3,306 posts, read 1,346,947 times
Quote:
I know Covid is very serious for a lot of people, but this vaccine is not only new but a new type of vaccine so the reluctance in people is understandable.
Then you should also understand why we, as a nation, blame the willfully unvaccinated.

If they are eligible for the vaccine and they choose to decline vaccination due to lingering concerns, then they shoulder the responsibility for not only themselves, but also for consequences to public health, the economy, and policies that ensue.

If they weigh their nebulous concerns about “long-term side-effects” against the demonstrated benefits of vaccination, and decline the vaccine, they need to assume the blame. There are societal consequences to choosing yourself over society. There are consequences to not doing your part to mitigate the risk of straining our healthcare system.

People are free to choose, this is not the question.

But people are not free from consequences. If you choose yourself over social responsibility during a pandemic, don’t expect society to welcome you with open arms.

This isn’t rocket science folks.

Old 08-05-2021, 01:08 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Actually, I thought it was just a case of Trump "blowing smoke" (as usual).

(I am neither a Trump nor a Biden supporter.)
Trumps actions at getting vaccine early has saved many lives. Other things he did saved lives too. For some reason you give him no credit for it.

You may not be a Trump or Biden supporter but your remarks here show you have negative feelings for him without any reason for them.

I blame Biden for the diseases coming over the border. He should be impeached for his illegal actions and ignoring our immigration laws.

Old 08-05-2021, 01:17 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Republicans let stupid take over their party, what did they expect would happen? From GOP governors purposely standing in the way of public health, to GOP state legislatures suppressing their own vote while motivating their opponents to vote, it's a bleak future for the R's for the next few election cycles. And the wounds will be completely self inflicted.

Old 08-05-2021, 01:30 AM

10,068 posts, read 7,239,454 times
The resistance to the vaccine seems to be more a reflection of education and class status than politics.

In my real life, the not-vaxxed people who I've actually talked to generally do not have a good reason why they're not. It's all over the map, but generally they just "haven't gotten around to it." Mainly a sense of apathy I get from them. These are generally the same low information types who I have no idea how they function in society (note I did not say stupid, I said low information) bevause they literally do not consume non-fiction information if they can help it.

There are some against the vaccine for political reasons although the polling shows this is less than half of the holdouts. I actually expect many of the political resistors to eventually get the vaccine after Democrats are no longer in power.

Old 08-05-2021, 02:31 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Quote:
What country beat this virus? As far as I can tell Covid has become endemic on a global scale. The only one I know that seems better off now is Sweden.
The other scandinavian countries had several times less deaths per capita than Sweden. So does South Korea, Japan and Vietnam.

Norway has had less than 10% of the deaths per capita compared to Sweden. 12000 plus Swedes died unnecessarily.

The Swedes failed miserably.

The game isn't quite over yet.

One thing seriously wrong with Sweden's strategy: there were vaccines in development.

Last edited by whogo; 08-05-2021 at 02:55 AM..

Old 08-05-2021, 02:48 AM

13,248 posts, read 7,312,118 times
Covid VR the Republican party it's obvious who is winning. DeSantis is losing against Covid as 1000's are going to die in his states hospitals. He is doing nothing except blame Biden for it, and he just looks so foolish putting politics over life and death. DeSantis term ends in 2023 he likely lose to Charlie Crist Democrat who was the 44th Governor of Florida from 2007 to 2011.

https://floridapolitics.com/archives...ovid-19-surge/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies