Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2021, 05:35 PM

4,994 posts, read 1,991,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Sweden is No. 29 in the world for total cases, 1,202,829, out of a total population of 11,644,512.

Total deaths due to Covid: 14,620, number 39 in the world.

108,463 cases per million, number 18 in the world.

1,428 cases per million, number 39 in the world.

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...ountry/sweden/

As for no deaths for a month: there is no doubt that their daily deaths have dropped greatly, sometimes but one a day, but it has not been zero deaths for that long:

https://covid19.who.int/region/euro/country/se

However, Sweden is to be applauded for their vigorous vaccinations: so far, 10,700,000 shots have been given. See again their population, above.

All in all, Sweden has done much worse than their Scandinavia neighbors. Denmark, for example, has had a total of 927 deaths (pop: 13 million).

Finland (5.5 million pop) has had 872 deaths, Norway (5.4 million) 205 deaths.

I guess one nice thing about Sweden is this: they have 'cradle to grave' socialized medicine. When I visited Sweden before, I was rather aghast at the high prices and high taxes, but locals I met assured me that it is well offset by the benefits, including free medical care.

Hence, the good people of Sweden did not have to worry about going bankrupt if they became sick.

I wonder about the mania for Sweden on this forum. Is it because Donald J. Trump falsely declared in his first book that his father's family was from Sweden?

It was not true, you know.

https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/con...th-care-system
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2021, 06:11 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
The media declared victory for Israel a few months ago due to their high vax rate. It didn’t work out. Australia has also been shown in a very positive light by the media for their zero covid approach yet they now have police and military patrolling to ensure people don’t leave home without permission. Sweden may have another wave but they have proven to not be the disaster the media had hoped they would be.
Sweden's death rate is almost double Israel's. Lots of countries have a lower death rate than Sweden.

Covid Death rates

Sweden 1.3%, USA 1.7%, Canada 1.8%, India 1.3%, Israel 0.7%, Australia, 2.6%

Check them out for yourself. https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

Old 08-04-2021, 06:25 PM

13,684 posts, read 9,006,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
If you dig deeper you will get a very different story about healthcare in Sweden.
Perhaps you will inform us. That is what this forum is about.

Old 08-04-2021, 06:30 PM

57,264 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
Many thought the only approach to beating Covid was shutting everything down.I'm arguing that no one knows if lockdowns work or not. The world adopted that strategy with zero evidence, and silenced dissenters. Sweden took another route. They did okay.

Even Michael Osterholm is concluding that we need humility, and our efforts at controlling the virus are continually thwarted by the virus. Yet countries are poised to enter another round of lockdowns with the delta variant.
Dr. Osterholm is a great source of information, he is from Sweden and has relatives there. He was critical of Sweden' approach when they prematurely claimed success last year and he predicted the eventual increase in infections. We need to constantly adjust to changes and hopefully we will get back to normal. Sweden performed far worse than the other Nordic countries. Comparing Sweden to the US is a poor comparison for many reasons.

Old 08-04-2021, 06:33 PM

13,442 posts, read 4,287,635 times
People are going to get infected. It's a global airborne pandemic with a questionable vaccine. What do you want for people live in a rubber for life. It's the death rate that is important not the infected.

Old 08-04-2021, 06:42 PM

57,264 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
People are going to get infected. It's a global airborne pandemic with a questionable vaccine. What do you want for people live in a rubber for life. It's the death rate that is important not the infected.
The vaccine is not "questionable", around 97% of the hospitalizations and infections are in the unvaccinated. Not perfect but certainly not questionable.

Vaccinated get infected but usually don't end up in a hospital, not the case for the unvaccinated.

Old 08-04-2021, 07:08 PM

21,873 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Sweden hasn't had a Covid Death since July 6.

Sweden only temporarily shutdown high schools, never shutdown elementary schools. Did little contact tracing, little testing, etc.

The media predicted 100,000+ deaths and end of times.

Sweden has less than 15K deaths and per capita is below the US, UK, France, Spain, Italy, and many others in deaths.

Meanwhile the mainstream propaganda media complained that more Swedes weren't dying.

Sweden's economy has faired better as well during the pandemic despite many of their trade partners having shutdowns that disrupted Sweden's economy.

Perhaps Cuomo, Whitmer, and other governors should have looked at Sweden protecting the elderly in nursing homes rather than ramming Covid patients into them. So weird how more vulnerable populations should be protected and not exposed.

https://www.aier.org/article/sweden-...-covid-deaths/
According to your link:

July 6th 14,633
August 2nd 14,656

Now, I might not be the best at numbers and sometimes I do get a bit confused when I run out of fingers. But even so, I'm pretty sure that the 6 is larger than the 3 even and the 5 is larger than the 3. Putting that together would seem to suggest that 56 is probably larger than 33. Let me know where I went wrong.

Old 08-04-2021, 08:00 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,807,317 times
We're probably in this pandemic for 2.5 more years. Don't come to any conclusions before the half. Sit back and enjoy the half time show (political BS) and root for the home team.

Old 08-04-2021, 08:02 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
Per capita Sweden has had over eight times the deaths of their neighbor Norway.

Old 08-04-2021, 08:05 PM

5,104 posts, read 2,049,434 times
Funny that a French article from last May published by the newspaper Montreal La Presse tried to convince then not everything is great in Sweden. You have to use Google translator to translate it in English.
https://www.lapresse.ca/internationa...-en-europe.php
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies