Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2021, 09:41 AM

21,932 posts, read 9,498,367 times

Advertisements

If you think it's bad now, wait till they raise interest rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2021, 09:41 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
To bankrupt the country and get the world off the dollar is the goal !!! Then when democrats get in bed with the Chinees Communist Party they will say we had to do it or get our feet bound !!!
I don't see how comments like this are very helpful. Dems have certainly done their part to rack up debt, but historically, Republicans are worse with Fiscal Policy, and have repeatedly taken a balanced budget and turned it back into a deficit. I'm acknowledging BOTH parties are to blame. It is not helpful to cast blame at Dems while supporting any of the elected Republicans since Reagan. If you want to point fingers (it's not really productive), then start with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
The problem is that fewer are paying in and more are taking out. That formula doesn't work for anything unless you are bailing out a leaky boat that is sinking.

I recently heard that to pay off the debt every single person in the US would have to pay $220,000. I don't know if this included the 22 million illegal aliens paying their share but who has $220,000 to hand the IRS?

The problem is DC and it has been for years. If we ran our households like they run the country we would very quickly be living in a van down by the river.

I'll never forget how Hillary Clinton boasted that they cut the aide to Pakistan by 1/3 and saved us over $800 Million Dollars. Why are we giving that kind of money to any foreign country when we have so many homeless and people living on the edge here in the states with thousands more coming in everyday?

It is insane.
Agree with the bolded, but let's make sure we understand who are the ones that are not paying. It's mostly corporations, who complain about high tax rates, but use loopholes to avoid paying them, and billionaires who do the same.

Again, I'll avoid blaming either party, because the reality is that very few politicians have the testicular fortitude to confront the very people who fund them and put them in office. The reason we won't see meaningful tax reform is the same reason we won't see reform in immigration, term limits, and so many other things. Because those people own DC, as you have also correctly stated. As much as we all like to look at 'the other party', it's both of them. Neither party is willing to bite the hand that feeds them. That is a fundamentally broken part of our political system.

Old 08-04-2021, 09:44 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
The problem is that fewer are paying in and more are taking out. That formula doesn't work for anything unless you are bailing out a leaky boat that is sinking.

I recently heard that to pay off the debt every single person in the US would have to pay $220,000. I don't know if this included the 22 million illegal aliens paying their share but who has $220,000 to hand the IRS?

The problem is DC and it has been for years. If we ran our households like they run the country we would very quickly be living in a van down by the river.

I'll never forget how Hillary Clinton boasted that they cut the aide to Pakistan by 1/3 and saved us over $800 Million Dollars. Why are we giving that kind of money to any foreign country when we have so many homeless and people living on the edge here in the states with thousands more coming in everyday?

It is insane.
Isn't a bigger problem the fact that we send trillions of dollars to other countries that never seem to make any improvements with those dollars, so it seems like it may be a money laundering scheme which may explain how our politicians end up being millionaires?

Old 08-04-2021, 09:45 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Serious question.

The debt is so colossal that most people literally aren't capable of understanding just how big a number that is.

The government seems to think that it can just print whatever money it wants to spend, with no real plan to get any of it back.

Everyone (with power/authority) is behaving as though all that money printing won't affect anything. Those who are voicing concerns about the result of that xeroxing are summarily dismissed as conspiracy theorists or crazy or whatever.

If printing money doesn't harm the economy, and they can just print whatever they need, why are we paying anything at all in taxes? Why aren't we keeping our money to use as we see fit?

Think of it as a logic puzzle. Let us know what you figure out.
That approach is rather how Reagan won the Cold War, he made it so the Soviets eventually had to account for all their expenditures.......and we know how that one ended. Oh, I don't mean with the country falling but rather people going to the stores to get food and not finding any.

So, are we learning yet?

Old 08-04-2021, 09:47 AM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
Quote:
Sure, but the argument is that they can do that at will, with no negative repercussions. I'm not saying that *I* believe that, but that's the general argument made when we start talking about inflation. I'm trying to understand it from the point of view of the people arguing for more money printing.

From that point of view, there's no reason for anyone to pay anything in taxes, at all. If the feds need money, they can just print it. If the states or localities need money, they can requisition newly minted cash from the feds as needed.
I don’t know any mainstream economists who think that printing money is a good way to raise government revenue. Maybe in the short term to combat deflation (like in late 2008 and early 2020), but not in normal times.

Old 08-04-2021, 09:54 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,078,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanGuitarist View Post
The petition would get the required signatures and then some. But would the government stop? No, just take out more taxes.
The number of states signing on for a Constitutional convention is getting close. It fluctuates. Some sign on some withdraw. I have lost count, but last time I check all needed was 2 or 3 states.

Old 08-04-2021, 09:59 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,078,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I don't see how comments like this are very helpful. Dems have certainly done their part to rack up debt, but historically, Republicans are worse with Fiscal Policy, and have repeatedly taken a balanced budget and turned it back into a deficit. I'm acknowledging BOTH parties are to blame. It is not helpful to cast blame at Dems while supporting any of the elected Republicans since Reagan. If you want to point fingers (it's not really productive), then start with him.

Agree with the bolded, but let's make sure we understand who are the ones that are not paying. It's mostly corporations, who complain about high tax rates, but use loopholes to avoid paying them, and billionaires who do the same.

Again, I'll avoid blaming either party, because the reality is that very few politicians have the testicular fortitude to confront the very people who fund them and put them in office. The reason we won't see meaningful tax reform is the same reason we won't see reform in immigration, term limits, and so many other things. Because those people own DC, as you have also correctly stated. As much as we all like to look at 'the other party', it's both of them. Neither party is willing to bite the hand that feeds them. That is a fundamentally broken part of our political system.
And that is why I never ever vote for an incumbent.

Don't re elect anybody. The entire congress needs replacing. All at the same time. It will take 2 years for them to figure out the process and then we elect somebody new. The problem is the congress people only know what the lobbyist and the staff want them to know, so new staff is needed also.

Old 08-04-2021, 10:01 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,649,302 times
[quote=Myghost;61600683]
Quote:
I wasn't trying to be helpful, just honest !!!

The party in power is to blame for their policies !!! With talk of trillions more in spending desired by the leftwing party, there is no reason to not point a finger in their direction.
When the taxes paid in are used to harm the people paying them they have a duty to correct that !!!

Quote:
??? If poor people and corporations and wealthy aren't paying taxes where is the money coming from

Quote:
I'll be willing to blame both parties !!! When the other party gets in power I'll blame them !!!

What I won't do is give both parties a pass and throw my hands up and say there is no solution !!!

A tax revolt is within the rights of the people and a solution !!! Withdrawing consent is a solution and perfectly within the law !!!

Last edited by phma; 08-04-2021 at 10:12 AM..

Old 08-04-2021, 10:06 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,094,821 times
Quote:
Serious question.

The debt is so colossal that most people literally aren't capable of understanding just how big a number that is.

The government seems to think that it can just print whatever money it wants to spend, with no real plan to get any of it back.

Everyone (with power/authority) is behaving as though all that money printing won't affect anything. Those who are voicing concerns about the result of that xeroxing are summarily dismissed as conspiracy theorists or crazy or whatever.

If printing money doesn't harm the economy, and they can just print whatever they need, why are we paying anything at all in taxes? Why aren't we keeping our money to use as we see fit?

Think of it as a logic puzzle. Let us know what you figure out.
Serious question.

How old are you, and what level of education have you attained?

Old 08-04-2021, 10:19 AM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
the reality is that very few politicians have the testicular fortitude to confront the very people who fund them and put them in office. The reason we won't see meaningful tax reform is the same reason we won't see reform in immigration, term limits, and so many other things. Because those people own DC, as you have also correctly stated. As much as we all like to look at 'the other party', it's both of them. Neither party is willing to bite the hand that feeds them. That is a fundamentally broken part of our political system.
Correct.

All of the Democrat vs. Republican stuff is just a distraction from that reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies