Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2021, 05:36 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,248,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
^This.

I am a small time landlord with 2 properties.

One a 2000+ SF 3/2.5 with 2 car garage, on nearly an acre in the middle of a very desirable small city. I plan to retire into this house. This current tenant has been a nightmare, and is out as soon as I can get her out. She is 2.5 months behind on rent, and is trashing my house, yard and even the small fruit tree mini orchard (cutting off multiple large branches for no apparent reason). She decided to host a large rescue dog mission on the property, one has already bitten a neighbor, plus the smell of the property is now also bad. I was renting this house at $1700 per month, but equitable SFH's in the area are 2.5 to 3K a month now, since supply is very low. Rent is definitely going up when she is out, because I have had it with "low rent" renters like her.

The other a 1 bed 1 bath 950 SF home built in the 50's, but on 1/3 acre with fenced in yard downtown.

Rent is $850 a month, the young couple in there have been on time and clearly taken care of the house. They can stay another year if they like, if they decide to move, rent is going up also.
This is what ya get renting a home. No way i would ever deal with it or i would be in jail dale.

Old 08-06-2021, 08:12 PM

26,494 posts, read 15,070,512 times
Biden may be acting illegally (even by admission) as authoritarians do, but at least he didn't send out mean tweets!

Old 08-06-2021, 11:14 PM

929 posts, read 399,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
Yup. That's absolutely correct. Because he can. Even the SCOTUS basically punted on this. So if they won't stop him and the Feds won't, never mind anyone in his own party, then who will?

Nobody.

Like I said. Because he can. LL's are up a creek and there's not a damn thing they can do about it. Their only choices are to suck it up (my money is that this will be extended pretty much forever, as I predicted, making eviction effectively outlawed forever.
So why do we need congress for then if the President can do anything he wants. The battle will be in court again, and the SCOTUS got slapped in the face since they have already decided on this before.

Old 08-07-2021, 09:15 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The Congress approved Cares Act signed by Trump created the first moratorium on evictions of Federally subsidized housing

The CDC has placed and extended eviction moratoriums in September, December, January, March and June and done so regardless of who sat the oval. This has created an enormous back log of pending cases in courts that will take years to clear, in some areas.

I know several private landlords who have cut their losses and paid non paying tenants to move out.

I also know some private landlords who previously chose to rent Section 8 and have been paid in full by HUD and grants to make up the difference.

There is no graceful way to end this.
There is. We can force whoever support this to pay.

Old 09-14-2021, 07:39 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,376,934 times
Default Uh, didn't that already happen with the 2009 credit crunch??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
This is a good opportunity for large companies to start buying up single family homes and just hold on to them for a few years while most people have got out of the landlord business. Then magically laws will become enforceable again and these large companies who are mostly controlled by politically connected people whether on their board of directors or in leadership positions will own a significant stock of housing and then they can charge whatever they want for rent and there will be nothing that the average person can do about it and they will continue to enrich themselves. Don't you love these public/private partnerships?

Also I wouldn't be surprised if there are subsidies for landlords in the future to help diversify neighborhoods.
Didn't hundreds of millions go to Fed. Housing Dept. loaning money to Trumps' "friends" so they could grab thousands of homes a decade ago/?? It already happened!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies