Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2021, 06:52 PM

3,278 posts, read 2,333,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by axelthefox View Post
No. It seems most of us just have what is called common sense snd not let others change a definition that is impossible to change. A man is a man and a woman is a woman, nothing can change it. nothing. To ask someone to do so is as ridiculous as saying a dog is a mouse.laughable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2021, 06:55 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,295,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Probably not as many as identify, but more than a lot of people realize. Since it's not visible it would require testing to know, something I doubt happens very often, so we probably won't really know. I've read there is speculation that toxins in the environment may play a part, so it makes sense that there would be an increase in the number of cases of this being an actual physical issue and not just mental health.
how amazing that folks who experience such a disconcerting and abnormal personal life, and the therapists and doctors who treat them wouldn't say "let's get a test and find out".

Or that didn't do this MRI to find out "wow, your brainwaves are much more like the opposite sex!"

IOW, without a # based on research, it becomes meaningless as to how many people are "truly" transgender. And those who don't are and should be simply labeled "mentally ill".

I wonder when the simplest survey of all will be done, so that "transgenders" know what they face:

1. If you are heterosexual, are you attracted to former men/women that are now women/men?
2. If you are gay, are you attracted to former men/women that are now women/men?

Let's get real. We all know the answer, unless you're a hopeful transgender. There's not 0.1% of hetero people that would be attracted and form long intimate partnerships with transpeople that ID'd as the other gender.

And there's not 10% of the 5% of the truly gay population that is interested either. A gay man is attracted to a fellow gay man. He's not attracted to a man that goes through some sex change to become a woman.

Old 08-10-2021, 07:03 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,905,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
Well of course the opposite is true.

People aren't being forced to live the gender they feel like they aren't. They are encouraged and supported, including young children. That support extends to the point that if one voices the fact that transitioning doesn't change your Gender/Sex (same thing) people would like that to become a "hate crime" and that has occurred in other Countries. And until the hate crime comes into effect, the punishment is "cancelation".

As to the old man, I suspect his small protest is as much a local political issue as it is around his feelings on gender dysphoria. His was a targeted protest against this particular councillor who I understand (based on a comment in this thread) was dressing as a man when elected.
Except threads like this are a testament to the fact it's not encouraged or supported. There are actually still people who think being transgender is a mental illness. It's not 1980 anymore, and some people don't realize that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
No. It seems most of us just have what is called common sense
This is a great point, and part of the problem. Remember the definition of common sense

"Common sense is nothing more than the collection of prejudices and biases you're taught before you turn 18"

Old 08-10-2021, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
People were forced to go against what came naturally (forced to use their right hand when they were left handed), just like today people are forced to live as the same gender as their biological sex, when in fact their gender differs from their sex.

I'm a straight male (sex and gender), but given transgender people aren't harming anyone by being themselves, I struggle to see why people like the old man in the original post get so upset.
I think we understand a lot better about handedness and right/left brain attributes than we did whenever you're trying to equate.

What "people like you" fail to grasp is:

1. 95% of us don't say "straight _____ (sex and gender)" - we are what we were born, and don't give a **** beyond that.

2. the same % of us do not care what someone wants to do walking down the street or living their private lives. It is when they want to force the rest of us to "legislate acceptance" and "normalize abnormality" that the problems occur.

Old 08-10-2021, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
I think we understand a lot better about handedness and right/left brain attributes than we did whenever you're trying to equate.

What "people like you" fail to grasp is:

1. 95% of us don't say "straight _____ (sex and gender)" - we are what we were born, and don't give a **** beyond that.

2. the same % of us do not care what someone wants to do walking down the street or living their private lives. It is when they want to force the rest of us to "legislate acceptance" and "normalize abnormality" that the problems occur.
I agree with most of what you said, but this thread is about the remaining 5%, given it's about a shop owner who decided to hang an anti-transgender sign.

I agree we shouldn't 'normalize abnormality'. We're talking about transgender people, that's not abnormal anymore. It's an issue when people don't accept that, just like it would be an issue if a parent refused to accept their child is left handed.

Old 08-10-2021, 07:17 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,505,448 times
Quote:
Except threads like this are a testament to the fact it's not encouraged or supported. There are actually still people who think being transgender is a mental illness. It's not 1980 anymore, and some people don't realize that.
It is encouraged and supported to such an extent that the DSM redefined it from a mental illness, under mounting pressure. Forget 1980, it was 2013 when Psychiatrists were still allowed to be honest.

Old 08-10-2021, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
It is encouraged and supported to such an extent that the DSM redefined it from a mental illness, under mounting pressure. Forget 1980, it was 2013 when Psychiatrists were still allowed to be honest.
And in the past people were admitted to insane asylums for things like 'laziness' or, 'religious enthusiasm'. Thankfully we correct these kind of mistakes over time.

Image Source

Old 08-10-2021, 07:49 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,505,448 times
Quote:
And in the past people were admitted to insane asylums for things like 'laziness' or, 'religious enthusiasm'. Thankfully we correct these kind of mistakes over time.

Image Source
Of course. Those Drs way back in 2013 just didn't understand...

That image gets used a lot in these types of discussions. It fails to make the point the poster thinks they are making, but it is good for a laugh. "Seduction and Disappointment" is my personal favourite.

Old 08-10-2021, 07:56 PM

Quote:
I agree with most of what you said, but this thread is about the remaining 5%, given it's about a shop owner who decided to hang an anti-transgender sign.

I agree we shouldn't 'normalize abnormality'. We're talking about transgender people, that's not abnormal anymore. It's an issue when people don't accept that, just like it would be an issue if a parent refused to accept their child is left handed.
transgender is abnormal. Frankly, "gay" is abnormal. This is based on nothing more than %'s. there's a difference between abnormal and "accepted".

Normal: conforming to a type, standard, or regular pattern : characterized by that which is considered usual, typical, or routine

Old 08-10-2021, 08:03 PM

And forcing the 5% to conform to the 0.3% is no better.

The woman went into the shop to pick a fight. She did. He wasn't out on the street yelling at her "Hey, you're really a guy. You were born with a dick - you're not a chick!"

She went into his store, and she arranged cameras, in order to record this for her own use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies