Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2021, 04:54 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I was technically a minority where I grew up (I am pretty much all Caucasian; 95035 is strongly Asian with what’s almost a close parity between Hispanics and caucasians, the latter both around 15% each). For me, I didn’t feel like a minority so much as just a part of a place with tons of different people. For starters, my Ma is an immigrant (from Austria), and while Europe is white, it’s pretty distinct culturally from the US; and while “Asian” seems specific, if you’re there you know that Koreans and Chinese and Japanese and Indians, et. al. aren’t at all a monolith. I think I’ve always been set up to feel more at home in a pretty heterogenous setting with lots of stuff and different people. It didn’t even occur to me that having people in media who did or didn’t look like someone was even a thing.

That’s the long way of saying, I think depends on how you grew up.
Yes, you certainly were to some degree in that your mother is European. There is much difference between someone of recent European descent and the general White American population. I remember a girl in college whose parents were from Lithuania and she didn’t identify as white. She considered herself different from the general white population, which is understandable.

Similarly, I am of African and South Asian heritage (among others) but my parents are both from the Caribbean. That makes me different among both Black and Asian populations. I really didn’t think much about people looking like me as the vast majority of people weren’t like me whether they looked like me or not. My identity is cultural more than anything though. If you ask my “what” I am, I naturally reply by country of descent/cultural background.

However, I think it’s different when your group has been kept from opportunities for generations because of how they look. If your parents or grandparents were spit at, beaten or otherwise abused for years based on their appearance by the majority population, then you are much more to be conscious about who looks like you in a particular environment. Guess that’s where the “safe space” terminology comes from. In fact, this country perpetuated an entire identities based on physical appearance - “white” and “black” based on looks and abused the latter group for ages because they looked different from the former. Abuse is not just physical but psychological. Psychological trauma can take years to resolve and can be passed on. So that’s why those people are more likely to look for representation than most others. That’s not to say that other minority groups have not experienced similar abuses, as a number have, and the result has been similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2021, 05:29 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I was being facetious.

To what end?

Why not simply address the post topic in a rational manner instead of being a dick ?

Old 08-08-2021, 05:43 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Yes but try getting a black woman to want to date a white guy.

Completely different paradigm.

Does it happen? Sure.

But tell me with a straight face that the vast majority of interracial couples you see aren't a black guy/white woman instead of the other way around.

The Left will say that's because white men are racist and don't ask black women out.

I call BS.

I asked out a number of black and mixed race girls when I was younger and single....

Not one took me up on it.
You all usually do better with “black” women of recent African, Caribbean and Latin American backgrounds.

Relations with African-American women have largely been soured although that’s changing.

I’m mixed Black/South Asian and have no racial preference. I do have cultural preferences though. My preference is for Latin American or European whites over American ones.

Old 08-08-2021, 06:35 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,631 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
If I needed somebody who looks like me, I wouldn’t have found Chappelle, Fresh Prince, or Kim’s Convenience so fun, among others.

Ok, so I’m white and maybe I’m jaded that way, but...ehhh, maybe I still don’t understand this?
That.

You still don't understand this.

You're not in the position of looking for comedy entertainment, and finding NO ONE who looks like you.

That you can enjoy, or even prefer the comedy of other cultures is not the point.

When you look through Laugh USA, or the Comedy Channel, you can find plenty of entertainers who look like you, and tell your experience.

That's the point. And if you're not in the position to NOT see that, and NOT identify with that, you haven't experienced what this thread is about.

Old 08-08-2021, 06:42 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,885,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bj538 View Post
People feel most comfortable with people who look like them, act like them, and primarily form social circles with those people. That's basic human nature. People are tribal and always have been.

Black culture, White culture, Hispanic culture, and Asian culture are very different. It goes way beyond skin color. They act differently, have different body types, and have different values. They tend to stick together with their own.

It's not a bad thing, it doesn't mean that the different races can't respect each other, and it doesn't mean that they can't get along with each other. They just prefer their own for close relationships like dating and friendships. That's life.
Genetic diversity is important for survival, but not at the cost of the species itself.

Old 08-08-2021, 07:05 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,227,205 times
An old hiring adage, 'I like you because you are like me"...

Diversity slices and dices and claims, 'I like you because you look like me'...

As if hiring managers were competent and that the person in the position above them can recognize competence.

As with any statement, their is some truth but more latitude to cherry pick and subjectively color the entire wisdom.

Attitude and behavior go a long way in the hiring process, not just credentials. Many people have a somewhat comparable experience listed on their CVs. It is attitude and how it fits in a team. Who wants to hire a person who is sharp but doesn't share information so they look better than everyone else. more to hiring than ticking off a checklist of embellished accomplishments.

Want demographic diversity to meet some statistical, goal then forego the hiring process and just parachute the desired candidate into the workforce.

Old 08-08-2021, 08:09 AM

4,391 posts, read 1,699,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Because I have seen and heard nothing but Hitler-esque, dehumanizing HATE SPEECH from the left regarding white folks.

Why in the heck would I want people who think I'm a subhuman to gain control over the nation my ancestors gave their lives to?

That would be like you telling Jews that they should shut up about Hitler, before he came into power.
Kav.. while I appreciate the rep you gave me, I don’t think the messages we can leave with rep points are for things like this, so I'm just going to post it here, where it belongs…

Quote:
I wouldn't allow you people to run a feces plant, mate. You people have shown nothing but HATE towards whites. You people need serious help. Kav
I think you need serious help, Kav. Perhaps take a break from C-D. Go for a walk. Smell some flowers… Get laid.

Old 08-08-2021, 08:14 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
To what end?

Why not simply address the post topic in a rational manner instead of being a dick ?
I'm sorry didn't realize you were so dense.

I'm glad you ain't whining about not being able to get black ***** anymore.

Old 08-08-2021, 08:29 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,088,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
so it sounds to me like you are answering your own question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
Kav.. while I appreciate the rep you gave me, I don’t think the messages we can leave with rep points are for things like this, so I'm just going to post it here, where it belongs…

I think you need serious help, Kav. Perhaps take a break from C-D. Go for a walk. Smell some flowers… Get laid.
That's the toned down version. If only I could tell you how I really felt about this Hitler-like hate that the left spews towards all people who look like me, you probably would be taken aback.

Old 08-08-2021, 08:33 AM

15,862 posts, read 6,325,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
That's the toned down version. If only I could tell you how I really felt about this Hitler-like hate that the left spews towards all people who look like me, you probably would be taken aback.
When I first clicked on this thread I thought you were confessing Kav.

I'm betting, both being MN-born, we have a very similar heritage (me 75% Swede, 25% German). No one has said anything to me. Who are these people spewing hate at you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies