Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2021, 07:54 PM

73,067 posts, read 62,694,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElAyeStateOhMind View Post
Depends where they grew up and what they were exposed too.

A working white man probably doesn’t relate much to a black man from the projects. Like a working black man probably doesn’t relate too mich to a white dude from a trailer park.

Probably the best way people connect is through passions. Like music, movies, and videogames.

We all have different outlooks. But because we have different experiences.
I'm Black, I was raised in a middle class family, my father is college educated, and he expected the same from me. I too have a Bachelor's degree. I'm very bookish, nerdy, although I have some athletic ability. I can't relate to a Black person who grew up in the projects/ghetto for the most part. I can't relate to the White person who grew up in the trailer park for the most part. I grew up struggling to relate to most people anyway. When you're 14, and would rather watch The Discovery Channel over MTV, you'll struggle.

My outlook on life is different. It's based on where and how I grew up. It's based on the TV shows I grew up watching. It's been about the kind of circumstances I have experienced.

In college, I had roommates who were Black, like me. We were Black Americans, men, but our similarities ended there. They were in a fraternity, they were very loud. They likely grew up in a ghetto environment, or associated with such persons. I'm not very loud, I have a nerdish disposition, I was into things they weren't into, I didn't know how to relate to them. We clashed, and we were the same ethnicity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2021, 08:17 PM

Many people want to be able to see themselves as part of this country. This is especially true if your are of America, born to American parents, and you happen to be different from the rest of the American population. America is supposed to be about ALL Americans regardless of race, not one group vs everyone else.

Old 08-07-2021, 08:22 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,187,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellabella57 View Post
You do not have the freedom to come to my country and demand it change for you while demonizing the very culture and people who built said country. If that’s what you believe, you have an exceedingly rude awakening forthcoming.

You do have a passport, and you are in fact free to leave.

Alternatively, accept this is not “your” country, but one you can still very much so enjoy, be a part of, benefit from, contribute to and feel at peace in.
No idea what you are talking about. I was born here. This is my country. You, on the other hand, are anti-freedom and therefore anti-American. You can leave for a country with little to no freedom since that’s what you prefer.

Old 08-07-2021, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
If that's true, how do you explain interracial couples?
That is something that should be examined. A very good question.

Old 08-07-2021, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Please, the Irish and Italian Americans had there heroes. This has nothing to do with Marxism.

People tend to root for people like them. My wife's a Manny Pacquiao fan as just about every one I know of filipino descent is. She doesn't have a political bone in her body.

I'm a big Larry Bird fan myself. Unless they were playing the Rockets I always rooted for them 80s Celtics teams. Lol
Or better yet, take me, Black baseball fan here. I grew up in the 90s and early 2000s. Ken Griffey Jr was my hero back in the day. In fact, I went to a Braves game when the Mariners came to town. Half of the Black fans were wearing Mariners jerseys. Most of them had #24 Griffey on the back.
Willie Mays and Hank Aaron were my dad's heroes in his youth. When Mexican-born Fernando Valenzuela debuted for the Dodgers, large numbers of Mexican-American baseball fans went to Dodger Stadium to see him pitch.

Old 08-07-2021, 09:23 PM

4,407 posts, read 1,709,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
This is a tactic the divisive left has been employing now for a while. Telling children and adults of color that they need "someone that looks like them" in all various walks of life in order for their...I don't know, soul to not be broken?

But it's strange. For a few reasons:

- If people need someone that looks like them, why do we need diversity?
- If people need someone who looks like them, why do they leave their homelands and go to places with lots of people who don't look like them?

I thought we shouldn't judge people on how they look. I thought we should teach our children to love all people, and to look up to all decent people, no matter what color they are. What gives?
I dunno... why are some white people so worried about becoming ethnic minorities in the US?

Old 08-07-2021, 09:29 PM

16,565 posts, read 10,662,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
I dunno... why are some white people so worried about becoming ethnic minorities in the US?
To hear the leftists tell it, ethnic minorities in the U.S. live lives of constant fear and oppression and degradation and misery. We white folks would rather not experience that for ourselves, thanks.

Old 08-07-2021, 09:58 PM

4,407 posts, read 1,709,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
This is a tactic the divisive left has been employing now for a while. Telling children and adults of color that they need "someone that looks like them" in all various walks of life in order for their...I don't know, soul to not be broken?

But it's strange. For a few reasons:

- If people need someone that looks like them, why do we need diversity?
- If people need someone who looks like them, why do they leave their homelands and go to places with lots of people who don't look like them?

I thought we shouldn't judge people on how they look. I thought we should teach our children to love all people, and to look up to all decent people, no matter what color they are. What gives?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
To hear the leftists tell it, ethnic minorities in the U.S. live lives of constant fear and oppression and degradation and misery. We white folks would rather not experience that for ourselves, thanks.
I think I found your answer!!

Old 08-07-2021, 10:32 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,097,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I think you're missing the point of what this means. Why should Asian, black and Hispanic girls only have access to dolls that are white? Why should those boys only see superhero movies with men/women who are white? It's isolating and sends a message even if it's not consciously processed.

You can want to be represented in all things and still want diversity. There's nothing wrong with that.
No, YOU are missing the point. I see many people who leave nations WHERE EVERYONE LOOKS LIKE THEM. If being around people that look like them is that important, then they have got some nerve moving into a predominately white nation and belly aching about the demographics. Are these people demented, or are they just that dumb that they didn't think western civilization was predominate white?

Moreover, as I stated, if diversity is our strength like you always say it is...then they should be requesting people who don't look like them.

Old 08-07-2021, 10:35 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,097,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
Because I have seen and heard nothing but Hitler-esque, dehumanizing HATE SPEECH from the left regarding white folks.

Why in the heck would I want people who think I'm a subhuman to gain control over the nation my ancestors gave their lives to?

That would be like you telling Jews that they should shut up about Hitler, before he came into power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies