Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2021, 03:27 PM

26,646 posts, read 13,577,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteVirtue View Post
Off for another nap, fresh diaper and another scoop of ice cream. Pathetic.
Our President is basically a creepy Elmo puppet.
Quick reply to this message

16,295 posts, read 10,319,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
U.S. just suspended ALL flights, civilian and military, in and out of Kabul due to the tarmac being overrun and civilians blocking the landing strip and climbing onto planes. Per Bloomberg news.

https://youtu.be/dBR2ftub5hI

This is far worse than Saigon.
An orderly evacuation plan would have provided for enough troops to secure the airport and keep it from bring overrun, and thus enable evacuation flights to proceed. Also, some self control on the part of the Afghans would have kept them off the runway and thus enabled the evacuation flights to proceed. Unfortunately, neither condition applied, and this is what results.

45,260 posts, read 26,754,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
90% of America agrees with everything he said. If these people won't fight for themselves they sure as hell should not expect Americans to fight and die for them. I suspect Trump would agree and would say the same thing.
Trump's agreement was based on conditions on the ground - when they were ready to take the reigns.

Old 08-16-2021, 03:28 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,455,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Freedom isn’t free, nor is fighting terrorism.

It’s not about if Afghans can fight for themselves. It’s about fighting terrorism and keeping Afghanistan out of the hands of Russia, China, Pakistan, and Iran.

Now it’s too late. Afghanistan will be the Islamic version of North Korea, propped up nicely by Russia, China, Saudi Arabia, and Pakistan.

We still have troops in Iraq and Kuwait. Why? Because freedom isn’t free.
So you think we should have remained there?

3,306 posts, read 1,333,363 times
Default Biden making the difficult decisions: “I am the President of the United States and the buck stops with me.”

Whether you love President Biden or you hate him because he beat the other guy, you have to respect that speech he gave.

He was powerful. He was decisive. He was a leader.

The war in Afghanistan has no resolution. We all know it. President Biden made the executive decision to exit the war as he promised in the campaign, a war that went on 20 years too long. He vowed to extricate our brave men and women from a 20-year civil conflict and he kept his promise.

He knows his decision will be criticized. He knows the decision was far from perfect. But he is the leader of the United States and he promised to deliver our troops from the Afghan’s civil conflict. He did.

It is so nice to actually hear a leader who will take responsibility for his actions. Love him or hate him, agree with his decision or not, he is our President and today he showed us the kind of leadership that was missing in the last administration.

What a breath of fresh air for America.

Excellent speech Mr. President.

17,266 posts, read 6,632,139 times
I had to turn that lying snake off. He's still capable of reading a speech written by Marxists off the teleprompter, even in his demented state.

23,154 posts, read 26,044,216 times
What he said was OK. It's what he didn't say that the questions would have been about.

6,772 posts, read 2,560,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
I didnt' vote Biden.

But I liked his speech here.

Basically,..screw ya'll, you obviously don't care to fight for your own Country.

If Trump said that, which I think he would,..he'd get reemed. Of course he wouldn't say it so 'nice', which is mostly what the problem is.

But I am ok with this speech. Let's see if it's just hot air.
The difference is that Trump would have evacuated our friends and civilians before the troops.

Old 08-16-2021, 03:29 PM

19,440 posts, read 8,990,715 times
Well, this might be a stupid question, but --

If he was that convinced that we were wrong to be there, then why didn't he pull the troops before being FORCED to do so?

And, yes, imo, he DID pass the buck! (Although, imo, he was probably correct to do so. I mean, he has been in office only about seven months, and most of us know he is not capable of being POTUS. It would be like expecting a 90-year-old grandmother with Alzheimer's to still be able to handle cooking and serving a homemade Thanksgiving dinner for 20. Who I blame more than Biden is every single person who voted for him, and those who are keeping him in office.)

And, btw, did you notice how much like a very old man he looked walking off? If I see an old man walking like that in a park or at the grocery store, I feel sad for him.

Old 08-16-2021, 03:29 PM

5,171 posts, read 4,624,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Exactly. It's been reported that the reason the Afghan Army didn't resist is because the Taliban had been negotiating deals with many tribal leaders behind the scenes. Don't fight us and in return your tribe will get this or that after we take power. So how did our intelligence miss that?
How? Naivety. Apparently over time, Americans from top to bottom have become more and more naive about everything in the world. That exceptionalism is crashing hard. Blame Biden or blame Trump. It doesn't really matter. If you are American, we all lose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies