Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2021, 05:20 AM

18,419 posts, read 15,127,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
It just seems like such a waste of our time, money, lives. Maybe we will learn to leave the Middle East alone, but wait we are tied to Israel for some reason so the situation isn’t as black and white as some would think. After all, Bin Laden hated America for that reason and did something about it.

What will happen is we will see an increase in terrorism training camps there and will see an uptick in bombings and such. The left/media will blame it on Islamophobia and we will all once again be lectured by them on how horrible we apparently are.

Ultimately, it makes us less safe from terrorism, but at least the media will have new material to divide us on.

Oh, Israel, you still there? It’s America, we’re still there for you.
Bin Laden hated us because of the Gulf War, and our troops in Iraq. That was because we rescued Kuwait so we could have cheap oil. It had nothing to do with Israel.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2021, 05:36 AM

19,603 posts, read 20,051,089 times
I remember when this all started after 9/11. One of my friends was deployed to Afghanistan in 2002. This is bleeping crazy.

Old 08-17-2021, 05:58 AM

38,971 posts, read 50,909,546 times
Everything seems pretty peaceful and orderly at the airport today with planes landing and leaving one after another and the crowds thinning out. The Taliban is standing down and not interfering.

Old 08-17-2021, 06:12 AM

3,730 posts, read 1,753,801 times
This is how much this corrupt president cares about his own citizenry.

Quote:
AMERICA LAST: BIDEN PENTAGON SAYS THAT AMERICANS TRAPPED WILL *NOT* GET ‘PRIORITY TREATMENT’ AS AFGHANISTAN FALLS INTO THE HANDS OF TALIBAN

https://www.nowtheendbegins.com/joe-...ity-treatment/

Old 08-17-2021, 06:22 AM

38,971 posts, read 50,909,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
A total waste of money and men jen. Same for Iraq.
You would think even a nation can learn from its mistakes but the US keeps doing the same thing with the same results. I am a Vietnam combat vet who saw many buddies leave in bags and with missing limbs and then watched the scenes of the US leaving on TV in 1975. I know how these vets feel. I almost cried when Bush announced we were going to Iraq and expanding in Afghanistan, because I knew that all the men and women who would suffer there would do so in vain.

Old 08-17-2021, 06:31 AM

56,885 posts, read 25,813,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
I spent 18 years raising my son.

But I didn't kick him out of the car at 60 mph on his way home from graduating high school.

Why spend all that time and money to train and equip them, then boot them to the curb, leaving Americans and military hardware for the Taliban to use?

Obviously the Afghans weren't ready.
Because it was never going to work, we spent 20 years and heard all the praise about the Afghan fighting force and they folded in a few weeks even with our support. The Taliban were fighting for their country the Afghan Army was fighting for us. No one ever thought this would happen so rapidly, I don't know how they could have an organized withdrawal with the US being the only force.

Really difficult to watch this demise after all these years.

Old 08-17-2021, 06:49 AM

41,849 posts, read 17,370,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
I remember when this all started after 9/11. One of my friends was deployed to Afghanistan in 2002. This is bleeping crazy.
And we only went there to look for Bin Laden.

Old 08-17-2021, 06:53 AM

15,024 posts, read 9,994,119 times
I love how it was applauded when Trump signed the agreement to pull troops out of Afghanistan (a decision that I supported) but when push comes to shove blame Biden for sticking to the agreement. If Trump were president and he fulfilled his agreement, the end result would have been the same... Afghan forces incapable and refusing to fight.

If the Afghans are unwilling to fight for their country, why should Americans be doing it for them? Its been almost two decades, lots of our tax dollars, and American lives were sacrificed. Enough is enough.

Both sides, Democrats and Republicans, carry the blame for extending this war over and over again expanding the scope of the mission.

Old 08-17-2021, 06:59 AM

18,401 posts, read 7,003,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Because it was never going to work, we spent 20 years and heard all the praise about the Afghan fighting force and they folded in a few weeks even with our support. The Taliban were fighting for their country the Afghan Army was fighting for us. No one ever thought this would happen so rapidly, I don't know how they could have an organized withdrawal with the US being the only force.

Really difficult to watch this demise after all these years.

None of that justifies leaving the way Biden did it.

Most Americans agree that we should have gotten out.

But that's not the point, as much as Joe, Dems and the Media would like to make it the point of distraction.

Again, sometimes it's not WHAT you do....... it's HOW you do it.

Old 08-17-2021, 06:59 AM

28,951 posts, read 14,281,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
You would think even a nation can learn from its mistakes but the US keeps doing the same thing with the same results. I am a Vietnam combat vet who saw many buddies leave in bags and with missing limbs and then watched the scenes of the US leaving on TV in 1975. I know how these vets feel. I almost cried when Bush announced we were going to Iraq and expanding in Afghanistan, because I knew that all the men and women who would suffer there would do so in vain.
Agreed. And it is a bi-partisan thing for those that seem to want to point fingers at a particular sides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies