Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2021, 09:21 AM

17,411 posts, read 14,642,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs. Skeffington View Post
they'll just send her over there to conference with the taliban...burka-less. Problem solved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpowering1 View Post
regarding harris:

Lol, mrs. Skeffington. How can we make this happen?

yes!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2021, 09:28 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy ol' Man View Post
This says it all....

British MP delivers powerful, emotional speech in House of Commons ripping Biden's 'shameful' questioning of the courage of Afghan troops

https://www.theblaze.com/news/britis...-afghan-troops
I read a Washington Post article which gave Biden three Pinocchios, for claiming the Afghan Army had 300,000 combat troops, and should easily be able to hold back 75,000 Taliban. The Afghan Army have more like 30,000 troops, and Biden took away their air force, logistics and supply, and abandoned Bagram air base last month. How can they fight when Biden crippled them so badly?

Old 08-19-2021, 09:29 AM

5,956 posts, read 2,878,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I disappeared after the election last November and didn't return to this forum (I was still posting in other forums on c-d) until recently. You'd be surprised how nice a break is when you need it.

I can't watch him. I couldn't watch Trump either, but at least I felt he cared about people and the country.

I hadn't thought of this, but it makes sense. They have to wait until he's having a more lucid day before they can trot him out. We have a president who works part time because he's suffering dementia most of the time. I can't believe anyone voted for this clown. He was out of it in most of 2020.

But they did manage to get out Afghanistan's biggest pop star, Aryana Sayeed. SMH....
The Moderators have me leave at 10 day intervals, LOL

Old 08-19-2021, 09:29 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
In 1963, this was funny. In 2021, it's an interview with the president.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CsdRGbQPr0

Old 08-19-2021, 09:31 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
The Moderators have me leave at 10 day intervals, LOL
Well, Ben, you must be doing something right...lol.

I've behaved myself, so I haven't gotten one of those since 2018.

Old 08-19-2021, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
you must be very young. in 2001, damn near everyone wanted us to be there.

and no, the mess was 'not just waiting to happen,' and it wouldn't have been such a fiasco if handled competently.

unfortunately our smooth-brained moron of a CIC is the furthest thing from competent.

‘Utter BS!’ House Dem NUKES Biden’s Afghanistan Claims
Most people wanted us to go there and punish al Qaeda, and the Taliban for hosting them. But we were not supportive of the nation building, and thinking we can introduce a representative democracy and transform them into peaceful productive and contributing members of the global society.

We should have left after we chased the Taliban into their caves. Made it clear to anyone that if you harbor al Qaeda, and they attacks us, we will crush you. And now we look weak, fleeing for our lives over a rag tag army carrying nothing but small arms.

Old 08-19-2021, 09:39 AM

2,330 posts, read 1,030,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy ol' Man View Post
The Afgans were abandoned by pedo Joe. He cut off all support to them and left them hanging, that is why they deserted, they were lied to and abandoned. Joe needs to be impeached, he is a complete anti-American coward as he has always been.
Yes. But the underlying roots are deeper. You have tribal divisions - most notably w/the Pashtun people who remain stubbornly the heart of the Taliban support. They drive the dynamic in Afghanistan and bully the other ethnic minorities like the Hazara, Kyrgz, Kazakhs, Tajiks, etc. They had 20 years - an entire generation - to modernize, yet the Pashtun people (not all of course but the Taliban supporters) seem content to live in a Dark Ages Islamic society circa 700 AD. So, you know what? Screw it. Let them. Not our problem anymore.

The Afghan Army was largely infiltrated by the Taliban who would just change uniforms in the middle of the night to plant roadside bombs and other IEDs or snipe at US troops.

Now of course the US has an obligation to its own people, other westerners, and any Afghans who we have underlying contracts to honor like the translators, certain special forces operators, etc. The rest can go live in the society they choose to create.

Old 08-19-2021, 09:42 AM

8,146 posts, read 3,676,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I read a Washington Post article which gave Biden three Pinocchios, for claiming the Afghan Army had 300,000 combat troops, and should easily be able to hold back 75,000 Taliban. The Afghan Army have more like 30,000 troops, and Biden took away their air force, logistics and supply, and abandoned Bagram air base last month. How can they fight when Biden crippled them so badly?
No, the Afghan Army had close to 300k troops

Old 08-19-2021, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
I'd be willing to bet most everyone on here who's taking a poke at Biden has at some time or other raged at our Presidents for meddling in Afghanistan. No one wanted to be there. The government never amounted to anything, and now with the fleeing of the Afghan president, everything fell apart like a house of cards.

The mess was just waiting to happen. Today, tomorrow, next December - it would have been the same.
Geez, there's and endless supply of people like you who cannot see the forest for the trees.

We can all say that we might eventually have a car accident "just waiting to happen. Today, tomorrow, or next December." But what Biden did was akin to purposely cutting the break lines, emptying the fuel tank, removing the steering wheel, all the while parking it on a hill Then allowing the car slowly to roll off a cliff, while adamantly assuring everyone that that there's ZERO chance that would never happen.

Old 08-19-2021, 09:45 AM

8,059 posts, read 3,945,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
In 1963, this was funny. In 2021, it's an interview with the president.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CsdRGbQPr0
Can you pick which one is a ventriloquist's dummy and which one is just a dummy...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies