Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2021, 05:49 PM

1,733 posts, read 948,346 times

Advertisements

So true. We're in real trouble, folks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2021, 05:54 PM

23,563 posts, read 12,525,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Do you comprehend your posts, pal? Maybe you should try it sometimes, it'll do you better.
Show me my posts where I have been "solidly", or even lukewarmly, for Biden*, ever .... you know, because you "comprehend" my posts better than I do. Feel free to take it into pm, civilly, to avoid derailing this thread ... if you want.

Old 08-20-2021, 05:59 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,100,379 times
I loved the part of the "talk" when he said he had not heard any criticism from any of our allies.

I thought he would melt on the spot he was standing.

Biden hits the wall and the wall is not spinning.

People around the world are FURIOUS and he hears nothing, nada zip, zilch.

Old 08-20-2021, 06:01 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,100,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Biden himself today said that they would not expand the perimeter beyond the airport in Kabul, but now the Pentagon said that helicopters are picking up Americans outside of the airport. 3 US helicopters picked up 169 Americans outside of the airport and brought them to the airport.

Is the military acting on their own, because they know Biden is inept?

Or is Biden simply out of the loop? (25th Amendment time)
The poor man has been delusional for the past two years.

Old 08-20-2021, 06:02 PM

299 posts, read 224,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
A lot of it gets down to what our mission is and what it's been approved for. Our mission was never to go there and build there country up. We've done that in some instances, but this was not the mission of Afghanistan. As you know, we went there for one purpose and that was post-9/11 snuffing out of terrorists involved in that. We stayed. We put billions into their hands to help them defend themselves, as we do with other nations. But we don't always have troops there "on guard." Trump Admin and Biden Admins agreed that we needed to get out of their finally, or stay forever. At some point, you gotta go. Or, hell, just totally take them over and turn them into America then.

We are in other countries such as Japan and Korea, not to patrol them and keep them as a democracy, but be cause, strategically, it's a good place to be, at the ready, in our defense against the Russia, China, etc.

We provide assistance to so many countries to help them defend themselves but we are a presence there. Think about Taiwan.
How is the Taliban not a danger towards our or our allies defense? To me they have just as much potential as the North Korean government 40 years ago to become a danger. I guess the argument gets lost on me when I see soldiers engaging in war games and going on alert when the Russian government sends fly overs in disputed lands.

Look I get our mission wasn't originally to stay, that was the lie and mistake the American people have needed to come to terms with. But this break it and walk away is just as bad if not even more evil to me. We started a job. Maybe it wasn't right to take it but we made investments and engaged with a people that allowed us to tear their world apart with the promise to build something better. Instead both sides of the aisle try to guilt the other over whether the 'war' was appropriate or not. The 'war' is and has been over. This is a completely different mission and operation but politicians keep using the war comments to drive anti-war/negative feelings about the issues going on there.

Now all those lives lost are for what? And not just Americans. So many Afghani people sacrificed everything with the hope the NATO partners could help establish a stable country. It was never going to be overnight and new strategies were needed years ago. But it could have happened just like with Korea or Japan. Both those countries had dismantled countries and one even had to split regionally to enable democracy. But North Korea was never a true threat to America. Same as Afghanistan the people were split leading to instability and a humanitarian crisis.

It's just excuse after excuse. And in 10-15 years we'll be somewhere else.

Old 08-20-2021, 06:06 PM

15,834 posts, read 6,539,575 times
I'd argue that there is a solid and important role for deception during warfare. Hence, not relating the actual risk of a Taliban takeover is useful for maintaining allied morale and reducing panic during the US withdrawal. Instead, you present the most optimistic scenario of a stubborn and successful Afghan army defense, even if you know that it may be unlikely. At this point, of course, the game is up.

Old 08-20-2021, 06:07 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,093,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
Show me my posts where I have been "solidly", or even lukewarmly, for Biden*, ever .... you know, because you "comprehend" my posts better than I do. Feel free to take it into pm, civilly, to avoid derailing this thread ... if you want.
We can start with this one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
Oh gmab. You didn't care IF the general was wrong or right, you simply felt the need to deride me because I had questioned the "most" comment that the general had made. plain and simple. How dare anyone question what a general says, right?
Is it not hard to undestand which team you play for. Now will you claim you are not one way or the other, but we all see and can read, just not in this thread, but many threads within CD.

Sorry you don't like it....oh well.

Old 08-20-2021, 06:09 PM

34,053 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Biden had a fan(sar)!

https://nypost.com/2021/08/20/bin-la...s-into-crisis/

Old 08-20-2021, 06:10 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times
This is the way it should have been from day one. I don't mind giving people like these aid and weapons to fight for their own country. Just so long as we are not wasting money trying to build a pipe dream and risking the lives of Americans.

Son of late anti-Taliban militia commander promises armed resistance: 'We knew this day might come'

Quote:
The son of a powerful Afghan resistance commander who once fought against the Taliban declared he is "ready to follow" in his father's footsteps and take up arms against the Islamist military organization now in control of his homeland.

Ahmad Massoud, who resides in one of the few remaining regions in Afghanistan not under Taliban control, pleaded for help from the West as he promised to oversee his own resistance mission nearly 20 years after his father, Ahmad Shah Massoud, was killed by assassins from al Qaeda.

"I write from the Panjshir Valley today, ready to follow in my father’s footsteps, with mujahideen fighters who are prepared to once again take on the Taliban," Massoud, leader of the National Resistance Front of Afghanistan, wrote in an op-ed published by the Washington Post on Wednesday. "We have stores of ammunition and arms that we have patiently collected since my father’s time, because we knew this day might come."

Old 08-20-2021, 06:14 PM

3,730 posts, read 1,766,158 times
Default Marjorie Taylor Greene Called Joe Biden ‘A Piece of you know what’ Over Afghanistan

Marjorie...I couldn’t agree with you more!

Quote:

Joe Biden, you are not a president, you are a piece of @#$!,” Greene says, before adding: “Thousands of Americans are stuck over there in Afghanistan and you are letting the Taliban kick your ass, while you are lecturing governors about masks and vaccines. Do your job, bring these Americans home.”

https://www.vice.com/en/article/g5gn...er-afghanistan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies