Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2021, 01:13 AM

25,591 posts, read 56,255,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
How the hell do you think we had bases, outposts, troops, etc. all over Afghanistan? We sure as hell weren’t driving there.

Bagram had a secure airbase where we used choppers to fly people in an out and all over the country.
Steady on, old boy. I get that you're mad. So am I.

At one time, we had 13,000 troops in Afghanistan, which Trump reduced to 2,500 by the time Biden took office.

https://www.factcheck.org/2021/08/ti...m-afghanistan/

How, exactly, with 2,500 troops were we to keep the roads safe enough to drive to Bagram via car/bus, and at the same time airlift via chopper over 100,000 people - most of whom would be be coming from in and around Kabul. Way too many people to transport via chopper, imo.

I agree the entire withdrawal was ass backwards. I've said that numerous times. In fact, I don't think we should have withidrawn at all - because we've just undone 20 years of work. The terrorists are now there and getting stronger. We will need to go back and do it all over again.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2021, 01:30 AM

25,591 posts, read 56,255,266 times
More on the recent retaliatory strike:
Quote:
A U.S. drone strike on Sunday destroyed an explosives-laden vehicle that the Pentagon said posed an imminent threat to Afghanistan’s main airport, as the massive airlift of Afghans fleeing Taliban rule shut down just two days before the scheduled final withdrawal of American forces.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/29/w...vacuation.html
Nine civilians killed. Chances are this vehicle would have exploded in the midst of those still outside the airport, killing far more.

Old 08-30-2021, 02:11 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,891,000 times
Regardless of airport choice, did it seem like the first idea was to withdraw USA troops, to leave civilians and munitions for later?

Old 08-30-2021, 02:23 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,891,000 times
Withdrawal means removing or securing munitions, evacuating civilian employees (& families), removing troops.

Am I wrong in understanding that the USA first removed troops; abandoned munition war stockpiles in the process, then claimed to have evacuated 100,000 people.

Bizarre propaganda in the USA

Old 08-30-2021, 05:02 AM

26,169 posts, read 14,790,914 times
David Rothkopf worked for Bill Clinton, publicly lavished praise on Obama as being the second coming of Jesus, shrieked orange man bad. He is so credible and neutral!

Especially as he ignores all of Biden's lies on Afghanistan. I think it is also good that he ignores that there are Americans and allies who say that they can't make it to the airport, ignoring that makes his argument so much better that people aren't getting stranded.

It was also brilliant to ignore Biden's moves to kick out foreign contractors to cripple the Afghan air force, and that Biden campaigned on being the one to remove us since February 2020, because he can plan it knowing that Trump already had an agreement.

Him distorting the actual US alone 28K air lifted people the past 16 days also helps him deceive the gullible readers as he uses numbers of over 100K. Wonderful deception!

Just brilliant writing from a neutral man who thinks of Obama as a messiah and every Republican as a failure.

Thank you for sharing this propaganda!

Last edited by michiganmoon; 08-30-2021 at 05:17 AM..

Old 08-30-2021, 07:02 AM

20,830 posts, read 16,972,690 times
This catastrophic failure and others is exactly what President Trump predicted.

Old 08-30-2021, 07:31 AM

2,630 posts, read 2,649,320 times
This article is quite hilarious with some of the excuses and rationalizations. Good for a laugh. I could add some talking points at the bottom for him.

Some people say Biden is old.

No, your perception of time is off. In fact, if Biden were an immortal being, such as a vampire, he would actually be considered quite young.

Some people say 13 needless military deaths is a tragedy.

No, my personal prediction, which I didn’t share with anyone, and was completely based on facts, was that 1,013 members of the military would die. By my calculations, Biden has saved 1,000 people with his tactical military genius decisions. Thanks, Joe Biden!!”

Old 08-30-2021, 09:29 AM

1,018 posts, read 433,124 times
Interesting.

What was Biden's 'exit' plan in his ''campaign''?

What was Biden's 'exit' plan since January 20, 2021?

Why did Biden downplay the comparison to Viet Nam 1975?

Why did Biden downplay the Taliban's abilities?

Why did Biden want the optics of a 9/11 date?

Why did Biden...you get the picture...despite what this US Today opinion rationalizing-excuse making piece says.

The folks at USA Today must remember that we have an ''Emoter in Chief'' not a ''Commander in Chief.'' Zhoe Biden's all about portraying emotion in a theatrical manner. This what the emotional hemophiliacs who voted for Biden wanted.

81 million people ''voted'' for Biden? Biden received the highest number of votes in U.S. history?

The longer Zhoe Biden & Madame Harris are in office the more convinced I am that voter fraud took place by the Democratic-Marxist Party. Suddenly the usual 5% of bad ballots was reduced to under 1% or about 7 million votes and the central cities involved were the Democrat-Marxist Party strongholds: Detroit, Philadelphia, and Atlanta? LOL

Last edited by MPK21; 08-30-2021 at 09:41 AM..

Old 08-30-2021, 09:43 AM

5,230 posts, read 6,151,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Steady on, old boy. I get that you're mad. So am I.

At one time, we had 13,000 troops in Afghanistan, which Trump reduced to 2,500 by the time Biden took office.

https://www.factcheck.org/2021/08/ti...m-afghanistan/

How, exactly, with 2,500 troops were we to keep the roads safe enough to drive to Bagram via car/bus, and at the same time airlift via chopper over 100,000 people - most of whom would be be coming from in and around Kabul. Way too many people to transport via chopper, imo.

I agree the entire withdrawal was ass backwards. I've said that numerous times. In fact, I don't think we should have withidrawn at all - because we've just undone 20 years of work. The terrorists are now there and getting stronger. We will need to go back and do it all over again.
Its been 20 years of wasted time, effort, and money. We cannot 'give' democracy and our social norms (women's rights, equal rights for multiple races, government removed from religious control, gay rights, capitalism, democracy, etc) to people who do not want it. I think Bush Cheney going into the Middle East in the particular manner they did was asinine. Even Trump said the same thing when he campaigned. Trump negotiating with the Taliban then decreasing troop levels to nothing was an equally bad move as noted by several Republicans when he announced them. TBH- Biden probably should have increased troops ahead of the withdrawal but that would not have gained traction in Congress from either party.

But the idea we have an orderly withdrawal from any country we occupied for decades is a pipe dream.

Old 08-30-2021, 10:14 AM

7,827 posts, read 2,690,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
This catastrophic failure and others is exactly what President Trump predicted.
Maybe that's because he set of alot of this disaster in motion by making "friends" with the Taliban and assuring them they were not losing the war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies