Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2021, 01:24 PM

25,732 posts, read 18,797,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
Yes, it's just you. That's not how vaccines work.
Okay, how do they work then?

Tell me that a smallpox vaccine does not protect the person being vaccinated with nearly a hundred percent probability from getting smallpox. Sorry, I'm not going to let you redefine what a vaccine is supposed to do. I know what it is supposed to do. I learned what it was supposed to do in grade school. Evidently you folks did not.

Somehow you folks have gotten it into your brain that a vaccine magically protects everyone else besides the person getting it. Well, in this case, it looks as if the vaccine isn't protecting much of anyone with any degree of effectiveness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2021, 01:26 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,658,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Okay, how do they work then?

Tell me that a smallpox vaccine does not protect the person being vaccinated with nearly a hundred percent probability. Sorry, I'm not going to let you redefine what a vaccine is supposed to do. I know what it is supposed to do. I learned what it was supposed to do in grade school. Evidently you folks did not.
We should all be so lucky as to get more vaccines with the efficacy of smallpox or any of the ones against other viruses that do not change/mutate to any measurable degree. Most of our vaccines today are not 100%.

Old 08-08-2021, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I think that's only true of some things. You don't get a flu or pneumonia vaccine with the understanding that you'll never get either - just that it will be a milder case, if I recall correctly.
And that is exactly why I've never bothered getting a flu shot. That and the fact that I've lived through the flu many times over the years. I've never lived through a case of smallpox, because I WOULDN'T live. THAT is why I have the smallpox vaccine. So I don't get smallpox (knowing that if I did, I'd be dead).

Old 08-08-2021, 01:34 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,412,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
Link?

"You're not going to get Covid if you have these vaccinations."

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/22/polit...uly/index.html

Old 08-08-2021, 01:36 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
And that is exactly why I've never bothered getting a flu shot. That and the fact that I've lived through the flu many times over the years. I've never lived through a case of smallpox, because I WOULDN'T live. THAT is why I have the smallpox vaccine. So I don't get smallpox (knowing that if I did, I'd be dead).
Ditto. Then I did recall correctly. Thanks!

Old 08-08-2021, 01:45 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
Yeah, I do believe the vaccine is not longer going to factor-in very much in
how "authoritative" America governments are with regards to covid and their Peasants.

Old 08-08-2021, 01:46 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,658,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
"You're not going to get Covid if you have these vaccinations."

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/22/polit...uly/index.html
I think we've all been pretty open and clear that Biden totally effed that up. No excuse.

Getting back to the OP's question which has to do with "they" and "at one time" I took the meaning as the messaging that has been going on about the vaccine since last December when it rolled out. I can't recall anyone saying that the vaccine prevents COVID. No doubt that it does in some percentage.

Old 08-08-2021, 01:46 PM

So a couple of comments here prompted me to go look at some of the statistics on vaccines for various diseases.

The last vaccine I got (other than a tetanus shot a few years ago after an injury) was for Yellow Fever. That was for the last real traveling I did in 2000 (to South America). That vaccine is 99% effective in preventing Yellow Fever.

Smallpox, Tetanus, and Polio vaccines are also around 99% effective. Same for measles. I didn't look at Rubella, and a few others.

THAT is what I consider a vaccine. And they are, by definition, vaccines.

On the other hand, if you are given a shot that is, say 50% effective at preventing a given disease, do we really want to call that a "vaccine." Maybe it is technically, but in my opinion, that is not a vaccine in the classic sense of the word. It's more like a half-assed treatment of some sort. And depending on the severity of the disease, I am probably not going to be interested in taking such a "vaccine." NOW... having said that, if it were Ebola or something (having a 100% mortality rate), maybe I would consider it. Because 50% is better than no percent. But if it is something that I am going to survive with 99.86% probability, I'm not going to waste my time or risk side effects. Sorry.

Old 08-08-2021, 01:51 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,455,334 times
The point is that a vaccine teaches your own body how to fight a disease. It gives the immune system a head start, because it doesn't have to learn about the disease and figure out how to fight the thing, that has already been done.

This is fundamental to how a vaccine works.

If a virus attacks you it is going to get into your cells, your own antibodies will attack any virus they come across, including the ones which are popping out of your own cells by the millions. This immune system activity suppresses the spread. Soon the infected cells die and you are probably safe for that go-around.

So then, your own immune system quickly ramps up millions of antibodies and overwhelms the disease (if everything is going right). Without a vaccine the human body starts off way behind the curve and it takes a lot longer to reach the volume where it can overwhelm the disease, sometimes too late ... sometimes after much serious damage has been done.

We saw the COVID cases fall off precipitously last winter and spring as the vaccines hit the streets, we know they help. We also see that 98 or 99 percent of the ICU cases of COVID are from the unvaccinated. With the unvaccinated being only about 30% of our population this disparity is huge.

30% unvaccinated: 98+ % of ICU cases
70% vaccinated: -/= 2% of ICU cases.

The method works.

We wiped out Smallpox (a horrifying scourge) from the face of the earth with vaccines, we wiped out Polio from our own country with vaccines, and only two countries impeded by their own backward religious fundamentalist anti-vaxxers have prevented those final countries from wiping out that disease too.

We must not let our backward religious fundamentalist anti-vaxxers do to us what the religious fundamentalist anti-vaxxers have done to Pakistan and Afghanistan. We really just shouldn't let those whackos with their poisonous lies and fantasies cripple our efforts to protect the children and most vulnerable of this country.

Old 08-08-2021, 01:54 PM

15,834 posts, read 6,539,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layden85 View Post
I thought I had heard that early in but not finding the reports on it.
No. At the time of their emergency approval, they were said to be ~95% effective. That means 5% will still get it, given the main variants circulating during the testing period.

At the time of your vaccination, it probably still is that efficacious. Unfortunately they have since discovered that your antibody count slowly declines over time; the effectiveness decreases by a few percent per month. However, your body is still protected by the B and T memory cells.

Last edited by rjshae; 08-08-2021 at 02:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies