Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which country has more freedom?
Hungary 33 43.42%
The United States 43 56.58%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2021, 11:55 AM

72,978 posts, read 62,563,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Unfortunately, I don't speak Hungarian, my cousin that I'm close to doesn't speak English. There's a gal here that's translated for me since I've been here so I could speak to my dad's brother who also doesn't speak English.

For my cousin, one of my old neighbors was in a Facebook chat with us where he told us how bad it is there with no freedom of speech.

He has a brother that I don't speak to. He doesn't really speak to him either.

He has 3 kids, I believe 2 of them left for Germany. His friends too. I had to mail his Ancestry DNA test to his friend there because customs in Hungary stopped it for 6 months before sending it back. He said they'd not only want my receipt to prove I paid $59 for it but also our FB chat and any emails dealing with it. He said just to wait until it got back to me. He didn't even want to sign that he refused the package from me. I was worried they'd open it and find the $20 or so cash I hid in it to mail the test back.
Wow. This is something many people don't think about. I can only imagine how difficult it would be not to be able to talk to family members, particularly as a result of language barriers.

The Facebook chat you mentioned, that is more telling than the crap Tucker Carlson is talking about. I haven't done any DNA test yet (I need to, as I want to find out what ethnic groups in Africa my ancestors came from). In fact, I will do that. What you mentioned about customs holding a DNA test for that long, that just screams paranoia on the part of the government. Wanting your Facebook chat, more paranoia by the government. It's like the government is willing to divide families in order to get their point across.

There are some individuals on this thread who claim that Hungary is more free than the USA. Your own experience trying to get a DNA test mailed says otherwise. The Hungarian government wanting the details of your Facebook chat, that says alot as well. Said persons need to ask themselves this question. Are they willing to go through those same restrictions as Hungary? How many would be willing to deal with their privacy being violated, freedom of speech eroded, the threat of being arrested/detained for simply criticizing a political party?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2021, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedRedneck View Post
For normal sane people yes absolutely. So is Poland.
I'm guessing this is sarcasm. Sarcasm doesn't translate well on the computer scream, particularly if there are no emojis.

Old 08-09-2021, 11:58 AM

900 posts, read 375,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedRedneck View Post
For normal sane people yes absolutely. So is Poland.
In what ways is this real? do you know anything about Hungary? of Hungarian laws?... By the way, have you ever had a passport in your life?

Old 08-09-2021, 12:14 PM

For those who claim "Hungary is more free than America", here is the reality. The USA has freedom of speech and it's guaranteed in the Constitution. The USA has freedom of weapons ownership, 2nd Amendment. In America, you can criticize the President all you want. You'll get a tongue lashing from those who disagree with you. However, you're free to call President Biden an idiot. You're free to criticize your local mayor. In America, you have the freedom to fly the Confederate flag, the flag of traitors. Fly the flag of a traitor in Hungary and you'll get imprisoned. Criticize Fidesz or Viktor Orban, you might get detained. And Hungary is a hard country to get a gun. I have a 9 mm sitting in my bedroom right now. I was able to get my gun in 45 minutes. The fact that all of you can talk trash about any political party, that's living proof America is far more free than Hungary.

Anyone who thinks Hungary is more free than America, this needs to be answered. Do you truly believe it is more free than America? Or does Hungary represent what you wish America was, a country ran by a far-right wing government that will enforce racial/ethnic homogeneity?

Old 08-09-2021, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YanMarcs View Post
In what ways is this real? do you know anything about Hungary? of Hungarian laws?... By the way, have you ever had a passport in your life?
Good questions. I can't imagine how Hungary would be more free than the USA. I don't want the kind of government Hungary has at the moment. And no one has given me a rational reason.

Old 08-09-2021, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Democrats showing contempt for the Constitution does.
Well, we have something called the ballot. You can vote people out of office. You have the freedom to criticize politicians here in America. It certainly beats living in Hungary at this time.

Old 08-09-2021, 05:09 PM

Besides the illegal immigration issue, why should the USA aspire to emulate Hungary's way of governing?

Old 08-09-2021, 06:24 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,770,254 times
Tucker is just pushing some anti-immigration narrative. His show is just an opinion piece and nothing more.

Hungary is not "free." so to speak. Their press is monitored, and people keep leaving. Not so many job opportunities outside of Budapest. Most of the rest of the small nation is rural or semi-rural.

I've been to Hungary several times, but not in the era of Viktor Orbán - it was somewhat earlier. I found the people to be generally friendly and all but it's not a place I would want to live. It's nice for a visit for a few days or traveling to neighboring countries as a tourist.

There is no "free press" there, nor anywhere in Europe - really...I figured someone like Tucker would at least know that. Orbán is rather intolerant especially against open criticism against him. He does not tolerate that either. About the only thing I agree with his policy is limiting immigration, nothing else really. I think he's too reactionary.

Well, I think it is kinda weird how Tucker equates Hungary as having lots of "freedom" when all they are really doing is severely limiting immigration in comparison to most of their Central European neighbors.

Old 08-09-2021, 06:45 PM

7,142 posts, read 4,736,438 times
American expats have great things to say about living there. I just checked out their feedback and none mentioned feeling oppressed or that they lacked freedoms.

Old 08-09-2021, 06:49 PM

30,348 posts, read 19,134,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
Have any of you even been to Hungary?
I have, it was fantastic, I would consider moving there if wife would agree. BTW, wife loved Hungary as well but too far from kids and grandkids. Hungary might be the best place on the planet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies