Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2021, 02:28 PM

7,817 posts, read 2,896,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Good lord man, I drive a Volkswagen Jetta lol. I've never been in a moving Tesla. I've posted on CD for 7 years now and I've never made a post ever about electric cars...

Did you vote for Joe?

If so, I could care less about what car you drive.

You put the guy in power who wants to mandate that half the vehicles sold by 2030 are electric.

So you're supporting forced child labor.

Now, in today's globalized world I understand many of us are guilty of that to one degree or another, whether through either ignorance or convenience.

My point is: Lose the moral preening, it belies the reality of what we're discussing.

Old 08-09-2021, 02:36 PM

37,955 posts, read 22,131,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
We are at 1.1 Deg C (2 Deg F) and going to 1.5 degrees even with radical sudden changes in consumption but we really need to change our habits rapidly.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/09/c...t-ipcc-un.html
Temperatures have always swung around wildly. But whenever we have a warm swing, suddenly the global warming enthusiasts come out to predict doom. Then when it swing cold, the global climate change enthusiasts come out to predict doom.

Old 08-09-2021, 02:50 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,091,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyRepub View Post
You put the guy in power who wants to mandate that half the vehicles sold by 2030 are electric. So you're supporting forced child labor. Now, in today's globalized world I understand many of us are guilty of that to one degree or another, whether through either ignorance or convenience. My point is: Lose the moral preening, it belies the reality of what we're discussing.
No doubt there will be increased demand for raw materials necessary for the production of electric vehicle batteries, including cobalt, nickel and lithium (materials that are abundant in many conflict-afflicted areas of the world), but there has been increased pressure for companies to responsibly source these materials and provide transparent reporting throughout the supply chain. You can expect an increase in regulations to fight against human rights violations in these mines.

Old 08-09-2021, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
No doubt there will be increased demand for raw materials necessary for the production of electric vehicle batteries, including cobalt, nickel and lithium (materials that are abundant in many conflict-afflicted areas of the world), but there has been increased pressure for companies to responsibly source these materials and provide transparent reporting throughout the supply chain. You can expect an increase in regulations to fight against human rights violations in these mines.

Yeah, because that always has a way of working out as planned - right?

Old 08-09-2021, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyRepub View Post
Yeah, because that always has a way of working out as planned - right?
Also, incidentally:

When asked about the supply chain of Tesla, Musk said that there’s a misperception that Tesla uses a lot of cobalt, a key material in producing lithium-ion cells used in smartphones and electric cars.

“Apple uses, I think, nearly 100% cobalt in their batteries and cell phones and laptops, but Tesla uses zero cobalt in the iron-phosphate packs, and almost none in the nickel-based chemistries,” Musk said. “On on a weighted-average basis, we use 2% cobalt compared to, say, 100% cobalt of Apple. Anyway, so it’s just really not a factor,” he added.

https://theceopublication.com/elon-m...earnings-call/

In conclusion, you make many assumptions about the fate of the children of Congo, simply because the current administration is pushing for electric cars.

Old 08-09-2021, 02:58 PM

37,955 posts, read 22,131,406 times
Quote:
And the cool thing is, the environmentalists pushing for electric cars can scream bloody murder, about the evil Americans looting the world's natural resources, again. It takes many tons of earth of strip-mining to obtain just a few ounces of rare earth metals. Good news is, we can dig up the ocean bottom to find other sourced of rare earth metals.

Imagine what our landfills will look like once millions of used up car batteries will litter them each year.

Old 08-09-2021, 02:58 PM

So much doom and gloom!

Lookie here!

https://www.industryweek.com/supply-...industry-pilot

It only takes a spark.

Old 08-09-2021, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Also, incidentally:

When asked about the supply chain of Tesla, Musk said that there’s a misperception that Tesla uses a lot of cobalt, a key material in producing lithium-ion cells used in smartphones and electric cars.

“Apple uses, I think, nearly 100% cobalt in their batteries and cell phones and laptops, but Tesla uses zero cobalt in the iron-phosphate packs, and almost none in the nickel-based chemistries,” Musk said. “On on a weighted-average basis, we use 2% cobalt compared to, say, 100% cobalt of Apple. Anyway, so it’s just really not a factor,” he added.

https://theceopublication.com/elon-m...earnings-call/

In conclusion, you make many assumptions about the fate of the children of Congo, simply because the current administration is pushing for electric cars.

The Key to Electric Cars Is Batteries. One Chinese Firm Dominates the Industry

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-chi...rs-11572804489

And this doesn't even get into the fact that solar panels rely heavily on Chinese coal - a major carbon polluter.

Behind the Rise of U.S. Solar Power, a Mountain of Chinese Coal

https://www.wsj.com/articles/behind-...al-11627734770

Old 08-09-2021, 03:05 PM

34,984 posts, read 16,956,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
And only the surrender of more of our liberties to Big Brother (a trend which industrializing dictatorships will ignore anyway) can "save" us,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
The arrogance to believe that humans can change the climate of the earth is just hysterical. Oh no, the temperature of the earth rose 2 degrees. I guess that’s never happened before in the history of our planet.

https://youtu.be/7W33HRc1A6c
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post
the war on terror destabilized the world and is responsible for the latest refugee/authoritarian issues

climate change is showing itself in global ocean current change which is not really relatable to local temperature highs and lows..so we have a vocal minority that whines about any effect at all
I was poised to start a thread on this topic but checked first and saw this one. A few questions:
  1. If we take "sky is falling" type action how will we know if the suffering on the poor we are inflicting accomplishes anything?
  2. It's been a cold summer so far where we are. Why?
  3. Why should I trust the speculations of people who have a lot to gain on "climate research"? and
  4. How many roads must a man walk down before you call him a man?

Old 08-09-2021, 03:06 PM

708 posts, read 1,294,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
The arrogance to believe that humans can change the climate of the earth is just hysterical. Oh no, the temperature of the earth rose 2 degrees. I guess that’s never happened before in the history of our planet.

https://youtu.be/7W33HRc1A6c
So you think over 8 BILLION people have no influence on climate? Wow, and I assume you're not a climate scientist, just some guy trying to make a point with no real idea of how things work on our planet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.