Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2021, 10:00 AM

7,240 posts, read 4,548,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by World_Travel_2011 View Post
My workplace never adopted work from home. The federal government would not allow it.
Ha, I am a federal employee and I have been home since March 2020.

Personally even though I am not vaccinated -- I am ok with going back. But the head people in my agency are all over 80 and sometimes into 90s.

They really probably cannot come back to work, ever, if the vaccination does not stop it from spreading.

I am guessing there will be considerable pressure put to bear on the Biden Administration to find a treatment as the vaccines are a bust.

However, until that time they are still going to make their big pharma buddies as much as possible by mandating the vaccines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2021, 10:02 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
Making informed decisions means having correct information on which to base those decisions.

That is what is personally so infuriating to me. How can anyone be expected to make good medical decisions for oneself and one's loved ones that are based on good science and reliable facts that are agreed upon by the overwhelming majority of experts when so many doctors and expert don't agree? To name just one simple and easily understood example of this, 29% of the DOCTORS at Cincinnati Children's Hospital with over 700 in-house M.D.'s have not been vaccinated! Btw, the original article that I quoted -- which has since apparently been "scrubbed" stated, (my bold), QUOTE:

"WLWT obtained an internal memo sent Wednesday by Cincinnati Children's Hospital's chief of staff to the medical staff.

"You're all probably aware that national, state, and regional cases are up," the email begins. It goes on to say that the hospital's "estimated institutional vaccination rates" are 52% vaccinated, 48% unvaccinated across all employees and 71% vaccinated, 29% unvaccinated for physicians.
[end quote]

However, although the original link is now missing from my original post AND from Google, I was able to find the following link which does contain what I posted previously: https://ohionewstime.com/the-memo-sh...inated/218585/ I wonder if that will disappear, too?

And, now, GUESS WHAT? Cincinnati Children's Hospital now is REQUIRING all their employees to be vaccinated by October 1 https://www.cincinnatichildrens.org/...ne-requirement

I would guess that they received some serious backlash after that memo was published, but now I wonder how many employees will comply??!!

Old 08-10-2021, 10:21 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,087,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The First View Post
Its a compliance test to see how many lemmings are present.

Ask yourself this; what happened to the flu rate? You remember the flu,... the annual flu that came around every year you and actually killed people. Yeah that one... what happened to it?

That's the question the authorities nor the CDC can answer.

What happened to the annual flu rate???

The covid precautions that we're being told not enough people are have been following were apparently enough to completely wipe out the flu.

Nobody gets the flu anymore because there is no flu.

Haven't you heard?

Old 08-10-2021, 10:23 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,087,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
The reason, epidemiologists think, is that the public health measures taken to keep the coronavirus from spreading—notably mask wearing and social distancing—also stop the flu. Like, duh. Influenza viruses are transmitted in much the same way as SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, and they are less effective at jumping from person to person.

Polly want a cracker?

Old 08-10-2021, 06:32 PM

3,531 posts, read 3,732,527 times
I'm also curious as to how employers aren't violating HIPPA by these supposed health measures they're implementing, and I would include masks in that as well. Requiring testing and mandatory vaccines, especially.

Old 08-11-2021, 06:44 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the "academic" viewpoint:
Quote:
In order to determine how effective temperature checks, required masking, and social distancing really were for you and your cohort of workers, you would have needed to set up a control group of the same number of people doing the same kind of work that you were and have them also not do any work from home.
In the "real world," the virus swept through the office, regardless of the preventative measures taken.

It's amazing that people will try to make an academic argument in the face of real world evidence that they're wrong. Right in the face of it. Is that arrogance? Stupidity? Cognitive dissonance? I don't know what it is, but whatever it is, it's destroying our society.

Old 08-11-2021, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Lack of any critical thinking seems to be the platform of the republican party these days.
Let's break this down.

What does "critical thinking" mean?

According to the Foundation for Critical Thinking, the definition is:
Quote:
Critical thinking is the intellectually disciplined process of actively and skillfully conceptualizing, applying, analyzing, synthesizing, and/or evaluating information gathered from, or generated by, observation, experience, reflection, reasoning, or communication, as a guide to belief and action. In its exemplary form, it is based on universal intellectual values that transcend subject matter divisions: clarity, accuracy, precision, consistency, relevance, sound evidence, good reasons, depth, breadth, and fairness.
Now that we know what critical thinking is, can you explain why you believe that accepting the politically driven narrative is an example of that? You're not "conceptualizing, applying, analyzing, synthesizing and/or evaluating information." You're just parroting what the TV and social media says.

You're not being critical of the information in any way. You just accept that which you like, and dismiss that which you don't like. Is there any way of processing information that's less "critical" than that?

Seriously, I get that you think your opposition is stupid, but you really need to understand that we're not, and when you write things like you wrote above, it only demonstrates that you're just another sheep in the herd. You're not critical of anything you aren't told to be critical of, are you?

Here's a good test. Don't answer here - this is just for you.

When was the last time you heard something you would normally want to agree with, but knew was wrong and challenged the information publicly?

For instance, when Trump said, "Take the guns first, due process later" and Trump supporters were trying to excuse that, I said, "No." I was critical of what he was doing there, even though I supported him generally, and I was very vocal about it. Wrong is wrong. It's not right because of who's doing it.

Do you have a similar story? Have you ever tried swimming against your own political current?

Old 08-11-2021, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free-R View Post
I'm also curious as to how employers aren't violating HIPPA by these supposed health measures they're implementing, and I would include masks in that as well. Requiring testing and mandatory vaccines, especially.
*HIPAA

Doesn't apply to the employer/employee relationship. Perhaps it should, but it doesn't.

Old 08-11-2021, 07:40 AM

628 posts, read 286,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post

You're not "conceptualizing, applying, analyzing, synthesizing and/or evaluating information." You're just parroting what the TV and social media says.

You're not being critical of the information in any way. You just accept that which you like, and dismiss that which you don't like. Is there any way of processing information that's less "critical" than that?

Seriously, I get that you think your opposition is stupid, but you really need to understand that we're not, and when you write things like you wrote above, it only demonstrates that you're just another sheep in the herd. You're not critical of anything you aren't told to be critical of, are you?

Do you have a similar story? Have you ever tried swimming against your own political current?
Please - both sides do this, not just those on the left. How many right wing/conservative Republicans are out there (and on here) parroting what they've just heard Tucker Carlson say on FOX 'news'? Many, many of them. How many advance wild conspiracy theories they've heard on social medial or from the Marjorie Taylor Greenes of the world? Oh, so many of them.

And yes - I do have a similar story. I have always despised all things Trump and have never made a secret of that. Still, I did not agree with his ban from social media.

Old 08-11-2021, 09:23 AM

573 posts, read 260,388 times
Quote:
The reason, epidemiologists think, is that the public health measures taken to keep the coronavirus from spreading—notably mask wearing and social distancing—also stop the flu. Like, duh. Influenza viruses are transmitted in much the same way as SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, and they are less effective at jumping from person to person.
My data refutes your bull****!

The flu has a much greater chance of transmission, has a much higher death rate AND has 'a verifiable History' of bringing death.

Try again...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies