Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2021, 07:57 AM

52,431 posts, read 34,133,019 times

Advertisements

countless poor areas could have benefited greatly from hosting this 0bama Foundation monstrosity.

but no. bammers needs to ruin a perfectly good park..

Quote:
Five years ago, President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama chose the idyllic location, near the couple’s old home in the nearby Hyde Park neighborhood, as the future site of the Obama Presidential Center — a campus that will house a museum, public library branch, children’s center and other gathering spaces for a $700 million price tag. Much of the Jackson Park community has embraced the project after some initial pushback, and construction crews are prepared to start preliminary work as soon as August 15, when the foundation takes possession of a portion of the park from the city.

But it’s not clear that timeline will unfold as planned. Last week, local activists took another step forward in their years-long fight against the project, hoping to stop construction and force a change in location.

This past spring, a small group working under the name Protect Our Parks sued the Obama Foundation, which oversees the fundraising for and building of the center, among other defendants. The group then followed up with a recent motion calling for a halt to construction, which it said could cause “irreparable harm” to the park by tearing up roads, cutting down trees and diverting traffic into Hyde Park. Protect Our Parks — whose members include progressives, park-preservationists, government do-gooders, a libertarian and a member of the NAACP — argues the roads within Jackson Park are integral to the open-space design, which was laid out nearly 140 years ago by the famed Frederick Law Olmsted and hosted the 1893 World’s Columbian Exposition.
something all conservatives can certainly identify with:

Quote:
“It’s been hard opposing Barack Obama,” says Brenda Nelms, a local activist who opposes the Jackson Park location. “It’s caused all kinds of name calling.”
https://www.politico.com/news/magazi...protest-501946

Quote:
Jackson Park is on the National Register of Historic Places and is one of the most important urban parks in the nation

construction of the OPC in the wooded parkland of Jackson Park will require the destruction of hundreds of mature, carbon-sequestering trees, contributing to the existential problem of global climate change. Mitchell believes more than a thousand trees will ultimately be destroyed in and around the park, many of which are more than 100 years old. The alternative plan near Washington Park does not require destruction of any mature trees, according to Balkany. Another environmental concern is that the placement of a 20-story tower so close to the lake will endanger migratory birds that fly north and south close to the western edge of Lake Michigan. The Washington Park site is farther west and is believed to pose less risk to migrating birds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2021, 07:59 AM

3,776 posts, read 1,744,078 times
It's selfish of him to ruin a park like this and I hope activists are successful in halting construction.

Old 08-10-2021, 08:00 AM

21,805 posts, read 9,349,061 times
It's funny to see the local liberals who are fighting this twist themselves in knots to still love on Obama while opposing him at the same time. Saw many letters in the Trib.

Old 08-10-2021, 08:02 AM

25,785 posts, read 16,419,218 times
He never wasted a moment of his time trying to help the lower class African-Americans, of course he wouldn’t put his temple of the messiah anywhere near them.

MLK on the other hand would have spent his entire presidency among the poor and oppressed.

Old 08-10-2021, 08:05 AM

5,069 posts, read 2,158,347 times
Are we surprised by his evil at this point?

Old 08-10-2021, 08:12 AM

24,296 posts, read 17,031,669 times
Who would have thought that Obama is such a jerk? He is taking a public park away from the People to build his dream on it, then he would charge admission to it. The city gave him a 99 year lease of the public land. How do they do that without a vote? The 235 tower sounds ridiculous.

The whole thing smacks of elitism and do as I say not as I do.

He should build his library in the rough neighborhoods of Chicago so his life could be an example to all the would be thugs that are shooting each other. If he really cared about BLM he would do that.

What is particularly odd, ironic or hypocritical is that Obama lives in a seaside mansion on Martha's Vineyard. This monstrosity of a library will be at the edge of Lake Michigan. Didn't Obama shout at us for 8 long years about climate change and rising sea levels? Was that all a big lie or does he have HOPE that the rising waters won't affect him?

And they told us that Trump has a HUUUGE EGO...

Old 08-10-2021, 08:15 AM

45,086 posts, read 26,253,419 times
locate the monument to his audacity (and testament to his sociopathy) in an empty space he bombed out in Syria.

Old 08-10-2021, 09:12 AM

21,031 posts, read 19,507,774 times
"Me, me, me, me, I, I, I, I" -Obama

Old 08-10-2021, 12:33 PM

5,069 posts, read 2,158,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
First of all, Woodlawn is a pretty rough area. Second of all, Obama has been gone for 5 years and yet you obsess over him. Jeez, I wonder why. Third, as if any ANY of you have been to Jackson Park or the section where the library is going?

And fourth, shouldn't you be more worried about your Charleston or January 6th legal fees?
Gone?? He is around more than ever as this story proves. And do you really believe he is not the one pulling the strings on that puppet biden?

Old 08-10-2021, 02:33 PM

52,431 posts, read 34,133,019 times
Quote:
First of all, Woodlawn is a pretty rough area.
so?
Quote:
Second of all, Obama has been gone for 5 years and yet you obsess over him.
one post in 3 years is 'obsessing'? how?
Quote:
Jeez, I wonder why.
probably because you're not the brightest of bulbs? just guessing..

Quote:
Third, as if any ANY of you have been to Jackson Park or the section where the library is going?
why does that matter?
Quote:
And fourth, shouldn't you be more worried about your Charleston or January 6th legal fees?
what on earth are you babbling about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies