Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2021, 01:59 PM

29,849 posts, read 11,406,378 times

Advertisements

We are at 15% vaccinated in the world. More sure that have acquired natural immunity. But not nearly enough to stop the next variant from occurring. At this rare we will be jabbing and masking and hiding from it for who knows 5 or 10 years more as some say? Enough is enough I say.

So should the UN with some money from different countries pay people in poorer countries to host giant super spreader events? $50 or $100 a person. We infect billions in a very short time and with a little luck slow the virus down enough where we can get ahead of the mutations. Yes people will die. But they probably will at some point from the virus anyways. And even more of some more deadly variant occurs that is say 30% fatal like some past viruses. That is something we want to avoid at all costs.

So should the world let it rip? I am thinking Africa, India, South America and anywhere else that is 3rd world with lower vaccination rates.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 08-10-2021 at 03:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2021, 02:04 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,365,918 times
This is so racist.

Old 08-10-2021, 02:26 PM

15,614 posts, read 6,337,165 times
Well, if you want to create endless surges with people getting sick again from new variants, this would be the way to do it. Spread it faster, allow it to adapt to us better, and create new variants that can bypass the prior antibodies. How is that a good plan?

Old 08-10-2021, 02:41 PM

15,932 posts, read 12,185,497 times
Give people recommendations on what to do, warn them of the risks, but beyond that, let them do as they will. Natural selection at work. N-95 masks will protect people who want to protect themselves from those that don't. People can take their sides on the vaccine debate and we'll see which side has more deaths. A big real life science experiment.

I say that now but cases are rising really fast... there comes a point where you have to do something... let's be realistic here. The problem is the supply chain is already less than perfect... we can't print our way to economic prosperity forever. Eventually shortages in everything will catch up to us and could cause a chain reaction in the supply chain. Shortages in several key inputs has left some of our best selling products not being produced for going on 5-6 days now. This despite what seems to be a large drop in new orders the last 7-10 days. There may be a large supply chain disruption imminent.

Last edited by sholomar; 08-10-2021 at 02:51 PM..

Old 08-10-2021, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
This is so racist.

Looking at the world map Russia and much of the middle east should be part of this.

Old 08-10-2021, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
Give people recommendations on what to do, warn them of the risks, but beyond that, let them do as they will. Natural selection at work. N-95 masks will protect people who want to protect themselves from those that don't. People can take their sides on the vaccine debate and we'll see which side has more deaths. A big real life science experiment.

I say that now but cases are rising really fast... there comes a point where you have to do something... let's be realistic here. The problem is the supply chain is already less than perfect... we can't print our way to economic prosperity forever. Eventually shortages in everything will catch up to us and could cause a chain reaction in the supply chain. Shortages in several key inputs has left some of our best selling products not being produced for going on 5-6 days now. This despite what seems to be a large drop in new orders the last 7-10 days. There may be a large supply chain disruption imminent.

My feeling is we need to do something drastic. Just doing the same thing we have been doing for 18 months well into the future seems futile.

Old 08-10-2021, 03:36 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,456,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
We are at 15% vaccinated in the world. More sure that have acquired natural immunity. But not nearly enough to stop the next variant from occurring. At this rare we will be jabbing and masking and hiding from it for who knows 5 or 10 years more as some say? Enough is enough I say.

So should the UN with some money from different countries pay people in poorer countries to host giant super spreader events? $50 or $100 a person. We infect billions in a very short time and with a little luck slow the virus down enough where we can get ahead of the mutations. Yes people will die. But they probably will at some point from the virus anyways. And even more of some more deadly variant occurs that is say 30% fatal like some past viruses. That is something we want to avoid at all costs.

So should the world let it rip? I am thinking Africa, India, South America and anywhere else that is 3rd world with lower vaccination rates.
What is naturally acquired immunity?

There is no certainty about the durability of immunity acquired from a prior infection, especially to variants.

There are indications those previously infected are more vulnerable to the delta variant.

Intentionally infecting masses of humanity is unsound.

Old 08-10-2021, 05:50 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,887,055 times
What do the anti-vax, anti-maskers of the world not understand about covid. It will NOT go away by covid deniers infecting and potentially murdering millions more people by not getting with the program. Each time you catch this, perhaps it will destroy your lungs or other organs. The RNA vaccines provide a different level of antibody resistance from the infection.

Maybe instead of allowing the deniers to infect disease and misery upon the world, maybe it is time to consider such people a worldwide deadly threat to humanity and the laws of self defense should apply. Does it matter if someone tries to murder you with a hammer, a gun or a bio weapon? It's still murder... no, actually it is genocide to allow this to continue.

At what point will governments say, "we've had enough" and start putting the infected into camps, where they can be "concentrated," inoculated, and reeducated prior to release back into society, if ever. The despotic President of the Philippines seems on board with this. I'm pretty sure North Korea is already solving their problem with a bullet. Just offering an alternative solution.

Last edited by jamies; 08-10-2021 at 06:07 PM..

Old 08-10-2021, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
What do the anti-vax, anti-maskers of the world not understand about covid. It will NOT go away by covid deniers infecting and potentially murdering millions more people by not getting with the program. Each time you catch this, perhaps it will destroy your lungs or other organs. The RNA vaccines provide a different level of antibody resistance from the infection.

Maybe instead of allowing the deniers to infect disease and misery upon the world, maybe it is time to consider such people a worldwide deadly threat to humanity and the laws of self defense should apply. Does it matter if someone tries to murder you with a hammer, a gun or a bio weapon? It's still murder... no, actually it is genocide.

At what point will governments say, "enough" and start putting the infected into camps, where they can be "concentrated," inoculated, and reeducated prior to release back into society. The despotic President of the Philippines seems on board with this. I'm pretty sure North Korea is already solving their problem with a bullet.
I am not a anti vaxxer. I got the Moderna shots back in April. I thought we will quickly vaccinate most people and squash covid here and end our part of the pandemic. They Delta appeared and changed everything. I am a realist. Point is we are not going to be able to vaccinate the world to stay ahead of future variants. 9 months into vaccinating the world and we are at 15%. Lambda is spreading, future variants are probably already circulating but yet unnamed. We are not going to win by vaccinating people at the rate we are doing it. We are at about 60 something percent here. We might add another 10%. That is not good enough. And even if somehow every american said yes to the vaccine. The world is at 15%. That means there will probably be a variant that will bust through all vaccinated people. Lambda might already be that variant. And you are wrong. The world is not filled with anti vaxxers. We just have too many people to reach. Super spreader events would solve that. Yes a lot of people would die. But I argue they will die regardless by getting covid down the road.

I would like to just take the slow approach. Human rights and all. But if you read the UK SAGE report we are almost certain to have a variant that will break through our vaccines. There is a good possibility of a super variant that could kill 10-35% of humans like past viruses have or two variants could merge into a super variant more dangerous and more contagious. Read the UK SAGE report. Its UK scientists, not anti vaxx people. They just tell it like it is.

We can roll the dice and hope these outcomes do not happen or we can be proactive and try something very daring. So far waiting and hoping a bad outcome will not occur is not going so well, do you agree?

Old 08-10-2021, 06:50 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,887,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I am not a anti vaxxer. I got the Moderna shots back in April. I thought we will quickly vaccinate most people and squash covid here and end our part of the pandemic. They Delta appeared and changed everything. I am a realist. Point is we are not going to be able to vaccinate the world to stay ahead of future variants. 9 months into vaccinating the world and we are at 15%. Lambda is spreading, future variants are probably already circulating but yet unnamed. We are not going to win by vaccinating people at the rate we are doing it. We are at about 60 something percent here. We might add another 10%. That is not good enough. And even if somehow every american said yes to the vaccine. The world is at 15%. That means there will probably be a variant that will bust through all vaccinated people. Lambda might already be that variant. And you are wrong. The world is not filled with anti vaxxers. We just have too many people to reach. Super spreader events would solve that. Yes a lot of people would die. But I argue they will die regardless by getting covid down the road.

I would like to just take the slow approach. Human rights and all. But if you read the UK SAGE report we are almost certain to have a variant that will break through our vaccines. There is a good possibility of a super variant that could kill 10-35% of humans like past viruses have or two variants could merge into a super variant more dangerous and more contagious. Read the UK SAGE report. Its UK scientists, not anti vaxx people. They just tell it like it is.

We can roll the dice and hope these outcomes do not happen or we can be proactive and try something very daring. So far waiting and hoping a bad outcome will not occur is not going so well, do you agree?
I understand. I wasn't directing my comment at you, but just as a general comment. I read (most) of the UK report, so I understand what you are saying.

But I disagree, look at the news, populations are "revolting" all over. The isolation and financial impact is driving people crazy, worldwide. The anti-vax/mask movement seems to affect the supposedly more educated populations in greater porportion.

I DO agree however that we could be on track toward an extreme variant, even so far as a near extinction event. I know we have upgraded our "bug out" location in the event we have to abandon our home in town for an extended period. We can ride out nearly anything there. But at some point you have to ask, "why bother?"

We COULD stop this with a draconian isolation response, ZERO movement beyond one's home / town with limited exceptions. TOTAL lock down. The military tossing MRE's onto your driveway. ALL commerce and travel stopped. ZERO contact outside your family group.

We've had nearly two years to figure this out. The world has a bunch of ignorant dum basses for "leaders." And millions are already dying as a result.

Last edited by jamies; 08-10-2021 at 06:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies