Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2021, 09:42 AM

323 posts, read 128,855 times

Advertisements

Interesting……

Pfizer vaccine was only 42% effective against the Delta variant

A new preprint study that raises concerns about the mRNA vaccines' effectiveness against Delta — particularly Pfizer's — has already grabbed the attention of top Biden administration officials.

What they're saying: The study found the Pfizer vaccine was only 42% effective against infection in July, when the Delta variant was dominant. "If that's not a wakeup call, I don't know what is," a senior Biden official told Axios.

https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-va...0be357070.html

Old 08-11-2021, 09:53 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,899,025 times
This is why it's logical that getting vaccinated becomes annual. Not all vaccines are a one-and-done thing.

Old 08-11-2021, 09:54 AM

4,283 posts, read 1,527,954 times
Same as the flu vaccine, different strains will come and go which require different vaccines.

Old 08-11-2021, 09:56 AM

15,827 posts, read 21,334,678 times
That's why I am back to masking at the grocery store when I go at off-peak times and no longer going into restaurants.
But instead of doing that because I feared hospitalization or death, it's now that I don't want to risk being down and out for a few weeks. While the vaccine unfortunately might not be as effective at the variant (something that is no shock if you opened a newspaper in the past year - we knew this was a possibility), it is still very effective at preventing serious illness.

Old 08-11-2021, 09:56 AM

16,870 posts, read 10,510,132 times
They can always get a second vaccine or one from a different manufacturer. Also, I haven't seen any additional studies or original studies to confirm this. And saying that it's 42 percent effective doesn't mean much. People might still get COVID but not get as sick.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 08-11-2021, 09:58 AM

5,491 posts, read 2,231,353 times
Moderna appears to protect against Delta better than Pfizer. Though both are better than not being vaccinated. Before Delta, Moderna and Pfizer had similar efficacy but Moderna seems better against Delta. Also recent studies show antibodies in vaccinated people seem to stay stronger with Moderna over Pfizer over a 6 month period.

I saw one article from the past few days that suggested Moderna boosters for people already vaccinated with both Pfizer and Moderna, for strong Delta and future variant protection. The Moderna booster is apparently only a half dose of the original.

Per OP's link:
  • Moderna was 76% effective against Delta
  • Pfizer was 42% effective against Delta
  • The study found similar results in other states. For example, in Florida, the risk of infection in July for people fully vaccinated with Moderna was about 60% lower than for people fully vaccinated with Pfizer.

Last edited by Variable; 08-11-2021 at 10:07 AM..

Old 08-11-2021, 10:00 AM

18,337 posts, read 26,395,888 times
Depending upon how the virus mutates, the mechanism being used to produce resistance to the virus in these vaccines may not work on the next variant. I've seem some suggestions the lambda variant might present that problem. We've never had an effective vaccine for the common cold either for a good reason.

Old 08-11-2021, 10:14 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,520,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma_Duce View Post
Interesting……

Pfizer vaccine was only 42% effective against the Delta variant

A new preprint study that raises concerns about the mRNA vaccines' effectiveness against Delta — particularly Pfizer's — has already grabbed the attention of top Biden administration officials.

What they're saying: The study found the Pfizer vaccine was only 42% effective against infection in July, when the Delta variant was dominant. "If that's not a wakeup call, I don't know what is," a senior Biden official told Axios.

https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-va...0be357070.html

Focus on the “ yes, but” statement within your link.

No data so far has found either vaccines protection against severe disease and death is significantly less against Delta.

Bottom line, this study implies Pfizer vaccine appears to be less effective against a breakthrough infection of the Delta variant than original Covid, while offering compariable protection against severe disease and death.

All vaccines were developed, trialed and approved before the Delta variant emerged.

Old 08-11-2021, 10:25 AM

9,625 posts, read 4,469,275 times
And many flus cycle through the economy with flu vaxxes with lower efficacy which why reaction/policy should've been much closer to the annual flu

Old 08-11-2021, 10:36 AM

25,409 posts, read 9,709,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
That's why I am back to masking at the grocery store when I go at off-peak times and no longer going into restaurants.
But instead of doing that because I feared hospitalization or death, it's now that I don't want to risk being down and out for a few weeks. While the vaccine unfortunately might not be as effective at the variant (something that is no shock if you opened a newspaper in the past year - we knew this was a possibility), it is still very effective at preventing serious illness.
I never quit masking at the grocery or other stores. I have eaten indoors exactly one time since March of 2020, and was nervous about it. Definitely not eating indoors for the foreseeable future. Now, even if I go indoors at any of my vaccinated friend's houses, I'm masked. I'm being super careful as my DH doesn't get his second shot for a another few weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies