Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2021, 08:04 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
they're not propaganda but they're anecdotes used to spin a narrative.

I think the vaccines overall (as in over millions and millions of people)clearly work against severe infection. we don't know long term effects, we don't know how long immunity lasts.

The Yankees have had something like 20 players and coaches get covid after being vaccinated. Only one was even a little sick (an older coach)

So for them the story was thank god they got the vaccine because none of them got really sick. Now last year at this time when athletes were getting covid every time one tested positive the media made it seem like they were on death's door, seasons should be stopped etc. Of course bc they were young and in great shape almost none of them got really sick (to be fair a few did out of hundreds or more) While overall vaccines do prevent severe infection, you can't use a small handful of mostly young healthy people to prove that's what they do. It's absurd. But the media tries to spin it that way.

A few days ago Anthony Rizzo also of the Yankees tested positive for covid. He has said he is not getting vaccinated. So the story was written as UNVACCINATED Anthony Rizzo tests positive for covid (4-5 other players right now from the Yankees are also on the covid list.) How come when all of the other players tested positive on the same team it wasn't written as VACCINATED Gleyber Torres tests positive etc. Because they want to spin a narrative. They're not lying- Rizzo did test positive and isn't vaccinated but the way they write the story is totally different.
I don't know - I call that propaganda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2021, 08:07 AM

8,231 posts, read 3,488,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
It is propaganda, because they ignore the stories of people who get vaccinated and have adverse reactions.

There is bias in what you cover, how you frame it, and what you bury.
Exactly! And those who talk about it are censored.

Old 08-12-2021, 08:11 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,588,356 times
Probably. Most political articles are propaganda today.

The people and stories are real. The press cherry picks.

Note I am pro vax but find the mainstream press in contempt.

Old 08-12-2021, 08:11 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,952,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
they're not propaganda but they're anecdotes used to spin a narrative.

I think the vaccines overall (as in over millions and millions of people)clearly work against severe infection. we don't know long term effects, we don't know how long immunity lasts.

The Yankees have had something like 20 players and coaches get covid after being vaccinated. Only one was even a little sick (an older coach)

So for them the story was thank god they got the vaccine because none of them got really sick. Now last year at this time when athletes were getting covid every time one tested positive the media made it seem like they were on death's door, seasons should be stopped etc. Of course bc they were young and in great shape almost none of them got really sick (to be fair a few did out of hundreds or more) While overall vaccines do prevent severe infection, you can't use a small handful of mostly young healthy people to prove that's what they do. It's absurd. But the media tries to spin it that way.

A few days ago Anthony Rizzo also of the Yankees tested positive for covid. He has said he is not getting vaccinated. So the story was written as UNVACCINATED Anthony Rizzo tests positive for covid (4-5 other players right now from the Yankees are also on the covid list.) How come when all of the other players tested positive on the same team it wasn't written as VACCINATED Gleyber Torres tests positive etc. Because they want to spin a narrative. They're not lying- Rizzo did test positive and isn't vaccinated but the way they write the story is totally different.
Yes, they are pushing the narrative that people should get vaccinated. I don't have a problem with that. The benefits of the vaccine are clear at this point in time.

What I do have a problem with is when they say a person "has tested positive for COVID" but they don't say if the person actually has COVID (are they sick? what kind of test was used?
is it one of the accurate tests?) For example, if a vaxxed person tests positive, it could mean they are sick or it could mean the vaccine is fighting off the disease and they just have some virus bits in their nose.

Old 08-12-2021, 11:43 AM

4,559 posts, read 4,100,369 times
Media is market based. They put up what will get clicks and advertiser dollars. There is a market for articles about antivaxxers dying of Covid just as there is a market for articles about people getting bad side effects to the vaccine. If you are concerned about media being propaganda perhaps there should be a reexamination of the funding structure.

Old 08-12-2021, 11:56 AM

23,864 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I know you weren’t responding to the OP, you were responding to tinytrump who has a son in the hospital with Covid, whose kidneys are failing. Her son has been in very serious condition for weeks now.

And you then proceeded to lecture her on how overblown the risks are from Covid, and, because she likes “anecdotes” told one of your own about someone who didn’t actually die from it. Like that’s meaningful in her situation, where her son is at grave risk.
Didn't know that, and I hope that everyone turns out ok.

Doesn't affect my position in any way, shape or form.

I also wasn't promoting the use of anecdotes in making logical decisions. She was. I was providing a counter-argument using her own logic. If she's got a problem with that, then she needs to examine her logic. Don't shoot the messenger.

Finally, it's not up to you or anyone else to decide how much of a thread a person should study before commenting in it. My personal rule is to try to stick to the OP or keep a tangent related to whatever the person I'm responding to wrote. IOW, I don't jump in and change the subject, but I also don't necessarily read every post in a thread before responding to one of them. And neither do you, so...

Old 08-12-2021, 12:17 PM

57,264 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Are those stories being covered in the US? I know they are in Europe.
Well that's the subject of the thread, claims that these stories being published are propaganda. Hopefully in Europe people take them as credible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies