Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2021, 07:39 AM

585 posts, read 498,450 times

Advertisements

I am not a fan of having to show proof of either but it makes no sense.
A festival near me and many others say proof of vaccine or negative test 72 hours before. In those 72 hours you can still be exposed to Covid and spread it. And the media now says the vaccinated people can still spread it. It also says children under 12 don’t have to show a meg test but need to wear masks. Little kids are normally big germs spreaders and are going to still touch their face under their mask and touch things etc. There is no logic to any of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2021, 09:13 AM

3,699 posts, read 5,020,817 times
It isn't. It is about risk mitigation. We have fire codes for buildings which require such things as such as number of exits, fire alarms, sprinklers, smoke detectors, fire extinguishers and limits on occupation. They don't prevent fire, but they reduce the loss of life fire can cause and to a lesser extent the amount of damage(extinguishers and sprinklers).

Vaccines reduce the number of people infected and therefore reduce the number of people who could spread the disease. Vaccinated people who get infected also tend to have lower viral loads than unvaccinated people so they are not quite as contagious or as dangerous. The likely hood of you getting ill with COVID relates both to the amount of virus you are exposed to and the time you are exposed to it. The less of the virus you are exposed to the less likely you are to get ill and the less likely it will be severe.

In addition because they are vaccinated they are less like likely to get ill and less likely to get ill enough to need hospitalization. In an Ideal world everyone would be vaccinated but in reality that is not possible at the moment for various reason.

Ideally we would test EVERYONE at the door for COVID 19 but that isn't possible either due both to the amount of people that need to be tested and the time it would take(as well as cost). Vaccinated people are far less likely to have the disease and far less likely to need hospitalization(which is the problem here) so testing them isn't as effective use of LIMITED resources.

Testing unvaccinated people will catch more positive cases per test. An Negative COVID test is a waste of time, money, supplies and man power. By screening out as many possible carriers as practical, the number of people who can spread the virus at the event is reduced making the event safer. By doing it 72 hours in advance we can get the most reliable and up to date information about their status possible. Sure they could catch it on they way out the door from the COVID test but that should be only a few cases.

The danger of large events isn't so much that people will get ill or that people will die. It is that large numbers will get ill and need to be hospitalized using up the limited resource of hospital beds. We could prevent this by BANNING all large gatherings but that has an economic impact. With vaccines and testing we can allow the event to happen and hopefully we won't get large numbers of sick people who need to go to the hospital.

It is like fire codes. Vaccination is like a sprinkler system. When triggered it tries to put out the fire and fail that it slows the fires progress allowing more time for escape. Occupancy limits, fire alarms and smoke detection are like testing, they prevent a bad situation(a person with COVID) from becoming worse (a person with covid who attended an large gathering). So instead of 100 out of 1000 people being infected only maybe 3 people out of 1000 people at the event are. Such that hopefully this event does not become a supper spreader event.

Old 08-11-2021, 10:48 AM

19,146 posts, read 27,784,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post

Vaccines reduce the number of people infected and therefore reduce the number of people who could spread the disease. Vaccinated people who get infected also tend to have lower viral loads than unvaccinated people so they are not quite as contagious or as dangerous. .

No, they don't. You are OUTSIDE - you carry it and spread it, vaccinated or not. The ONLY benefit to vaccines WAs that they allowed lighter disease period. Was as they don't really do this anymore as their efficiency is dropping like birds poo.

If you do not understand difference between being infected and being sick, I can't help.

I have another question though. Why are those that have immunity forced to be vaccinated?

Old 08-11-2021, 12:50 PM

3,699 posts, read 5,020,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
No, they don't. You are OUTSIDE - you carry it and spread it, vaccinated or not. The ONLY benefit to vaccines WAs that they allowed lighter disease period. Was as they don't really do this anymore as their efficiency is dropping like birds poo.

If you do not understand difference between being infected and being sick, I can't help.

I have another question though. Why are those that have immunity forced to be vaccinated?
A lighter disease period equals getting over it faster which means becoming non contagious faster. Lighter illness is also associated with less viral load less dangerous.

Here is the thing getting the vaccine shout is cheaper and faster than testing for immunity. Also immunity declines with time. A long time ago they thought that if you get infected with something you have lifetime immunity to it but that is only true for some(not all diseases). Also there isn't enough knowledge atm to know how long immunity natural or otherwise lasts and and what level that corresponds to for an antibody titterer. I once took such a test many year ago because I had forgotten when I had my last tetanus booster and I didn't want to take it early. It found that Yes, I needed to take the booster. Tetanus boosters are needed every ten years...so no lifetime immunity.

Also it is known that infection with Corrona viruses does not grant lifetime immunity. Experiments with inject volunteers with different and very much less dangerous types of Corrona virus show that some people lost immunity in as little a few months. i.e. They got one shot, got ill, got the same exact shot a few months latter got ill again! So natural immunity esp. natural immunity that has not be established isn't a good option here.

Last edited by chirack; 08-11-2021 at 12:58 PM..

Old 08-11-2021, 01:44 PM

18,914 posts, read 8,549,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layden85 View Post
I am not a fan of having to show proof of either but it makes no sense.
A festival near me and many others say proof of vaccine or negative test 72 hours before. In those 72 hours you can still be exposed to Covid and spread it. And the media now says the vaccinated people can still spread it. It also says children under 12 don’t have to show a meg test but need to wear masks. Little kids are normally big germs spreaders and are going to still touch their face under their mask and touch things etc. There is no logic to any of this.
These are examples of what the right calls flip-flopping.

Medical facts as they relate to the Pandemic frequently change. The fact that the vaccinated can be spreaders is a new finding.

Up until recently vaccination trumped a negative test. No longer. A recent negative test might be better now.

Old 08-11-2021, 04:24 PM

19,146 posts, read 27,784,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
A lighter disease period equals getting over it faster which means becoming non contagious faster. Lighter illness is also associated with less viral load less dangerous.

Here is the thing getting the vaccine shout is cheaper and faster than testing for immunity. Also immunity declines with time. A long time ago they thought that if you get infected with something you have lifetime immunity to it but that is only true for some(not all diseases). Also there isn't enough knowledge atm to know how long immunity natural or otherwise lasts and and what level that corresponds to for an antibody titterer. I once took such a test many year ago because I had forgotten when I had my last tetanus booster and I didn't want to take it early. It found that Yes, I needed to take the booster. Tetanus boosters are needed every ten years...so no lifetime immunity.

Also it is known that infection with Corrona viruses does not grant lifetime immunity. Experiments with inject volunteers with different and very much less dangerous types of Corrona virus show that some people lost immunity in as little a few months. i.e. They got one shot, got ill, got the same exact shot a few months latter got ill again! So natural immunity esp. natural immunity that has not be established isn't a good option here.

Thank you for extensive explanation.
Passive carrier is a person that carries an infectious agent without being aware that he does. It does not matter, if you were vaccinated or not. As virus aerosol is EVERYWHERE, anyone is a passive carrier.

119 days. That is, so far, a proven post vaccination immunity. 1-1-9. Yet, those who had common cold, can not acquire COVID. As example.

Old 08-11-2021, 05:01 PM

18,914 posts, read 8,549,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Thank you for extensive explanation.
Passive carrier is a person that carries an infectious agent without being aware that he does. It does not matter, if you were vaccinated or not. As virus aerosol is EVERYWHERE, anyone is a passive carrier.

119 days. That is, so far, a proven post vaccination immunity. 1-1-9. Yet, those who had common cold, can not acquire COVID. As example.
Where did you find that common colds give you life long immunity from Covid 19?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies