Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2021, 05:55 PM

2,047 posts, read 857,616 times

Advertisements

...yes or no, do you think mass death is coming? And if you do, do you think it’s planned or just a natural event the world has seen many times before? You do realize this is nothing new, correct?

Throughout our history, there have been countless times Mother Earth and related events have kept us in check. Some caused by humans directly, others not so. South America for example, went from a peak of an estimated 100 million natives to 8 million over a few years due to plagues introduced by non natives? Are we seeing the beginning of another era of this? If you think the vaccines and wearing a mask is going to stop any of what is happening, you are sadly mistaken. If you think because you make $100,000 a year and live in a cookie-cutter neighborhood, mow your lawn once a week and wave to your neighbors in your $500,000 mini McMansion home, that you’ll be spared? You’re sadly mistaken. Viruses do what they do. This one engineered to be sneaky and stealthy by humans. We can’t argue that point.

So my question is, so you REALLY REALLY think you can just mask up, get a failing vaccine, that has never been created to work against an animal-based virus of the store and that your life is just going to go on as usual? Or do you think like I do, in seven years from now, this earth will be a different place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2021, 06:04 PM

8,500 posts, read 4,744,511 times
The mass deaths you referenced also occurred before modern medicine, any real ability to understand diseases, and with a lack of ability to communicate in a timely fashion.

So no, I don’t think that we are in for a mass death much beyond what we’re seeing.

As to the “failing vaccine”, I think it was inevitable that some variant would pop up. The fact that this seemed to pop up during vaccination drives makes the vaccine look bad, but it almost certainly took a good while for it to pop up. And while the vaccines do seem to provide some shield to it, it’s not nothing even if it’s a lot weaker than former strains. Saying the vaccine is failing is, IMHO, too strong of a statement. Vaccine reticence isn’t helping either.

I’m also going to cry a bit of wolf on the “engineered to be sneaky and stealthy by humans”. There’s evidence for that and actually a fair likelihood of it, but nobody’s directly connected the dots yet, so I think you’d be wise to at least caveat that rather than stating it as a fact.

Old 08-12-2021, 06:11 PM

2,047 posts, read 857,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
The mass deaths you referenced also occurred before modern medicine, any real ability to understand diseases, and with a lack of ability to communicate in a timely fashion.

So no, I don’t think that we are in for a mass death much beyond what we’re seeing.

As to the “failing vaccine”, I think it was inevitable that some variant would pop up. The fact that this seemed to pop up during vaccination drives makes the vaccine look bad, but it almost certainly took a good while for it to pop up. And while the vaccines do seem to provide some shield to it, it’s not nothing even if it’s a lot weaker than former strains. Saying the vaccine is failing is, IMHO, too strong of a statement. Vaccine reticence isn’t helping either.

I’m also going to cry a bit of wolf on the “engineered to be sneaky and stealthy by humans”. There’s evidence for that and actually a fair likelihood of it, but nobody’s directly connected the dots yet, so I think you’d be wise to at least caveat that rather than stating it as a fact.
I agree in the sense we have the capacity to detect and create blocks for pathogens that we weren’t able to do in centuries gone past. BUT, we can also CREATE, pathogens with intelligence and adapting abilities Mother Nature has never created.

Old 08-12-2021, 06:18 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSweettea View Post
...yes or no, ................

So my question is, so you REALLY REALLY think you can just mask up, get a failing vaccine, that has never been created to work against an animal-based virus of the store and that your life is just going to go on as usual? Or do you think like I do, in seven years from now, this earth will be a different place?
I think I'll just wait until it sounds like you are actually asking a question. Right now you are making some sort of statement.

In a related context, I think it is pretty clear that soon human population will begin to decline. Once the decline begins it will never end, at least so far as anyone alive now is concerned.
But that decline in population has nothing to do with a virus that kills 2.1% of its mostly elderly victims (4.3M out of 204M cases)

Old 08-12-2021, 06:37 PM

4,960 posts, read 2,238,771 times
Quote:
...yes or no, do you think mass death is coming? And if you do, do you think it’s planned or just a natural event the world has seen many times before? You do realize this is nothing new, correct?

Throughout our history, there have been countless times Mother Earth and related events have kept us in check. Some caused by humans directly, others not so. South America for example, went from a peak of an estimated 100 million natives to 8 million over a few years due to plagues introduced by non natives? Are we seeing the beginning of another era of this? If you think the vaccines and wearing a mask is going to stop any of what is happening, you are sadly mistaken. If you think because you make $100,000 a year and live in a cookie-cutter neighborhood, mow your lawn once a week and wave to your neighbors in your $500,000 mini McMansion home, that you’ll be spared? You’re sadly mistaken. Viruses do what they do. This one engineered to be sneaky and stealthy by humans. We can’t argue that point.

The bottom line is hard times are coming. It is inevitable, based on history.

The real problem is the Idiocracy effect. We could be on a 200-500 year long ride.

Old 08-12-2021, 06:40 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,958,342 times
I don't think this virus is like the Black Death, so no, I don't think this is the end of the human race or civilization as we know it.

The vax may not be perfect and masks might not be perfect, but they are what we have at this point in time.

I will try my best to be one of the people who live through this pandemic so I got the vax and I wear a mask when out amongst other people. I am not ready to die so long as there is something I can do to try to avoid it.

Old 08-12-2021, 06:43 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,958,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
The bottom line is hard times are coming. It is inevitable, based on history.

The real problem is the Idiocracy effect. We could be on a 200-500 year long ride.
Like that term: Idiocy Effect

Oh, I read that wrong

Old 08-12-2021, 06:43 PM

4,299 posts, read 1,557,704 times
Viruses mutate to become less lethal generally. I’m expecting case fatality to fall. This is not an apocalyptic scenario, might it have been much worse a century or two ago? Undoubtedly. But not Black Death or the great plague level.

Old 08-12-2021, 09:49 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
A super virus is inevitable because technology and understanding of viruses is increasing. A well resourced and skilled individual/terrorist group/State with a grudge against the world, will at some point be able to design a virus that has a long incubation, and an extremely high mortality rate- it's just a simple consequence of advances in this particular area of science.

Virology is only a great thing for humanity, until it ain't.

Old 08-13-2021, 02:21 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times
Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_9gYqYTwGc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies