Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2021, 08:27 PM

20,098 posts, read 16,015,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
In an unsigned order, the court said it had blocked a part of the state moratorium that allowed a tenant to "self-certify financial hardship." The provision precludes a landlord from contesting that certification and denies the landlord a hearing.

The court said the scheme "violates the Court's longstanding teaching that ordinarily 'no man can be a judge in his own case' consistent with the Due Process Clause." The court noted that another provision of the moratorium was not a part of the challenge at hand and would remain in place. That provision allows courts to consider a Covid-related hardship defense in part by assessing a tenant's income prior to Covid.
In other words now the tenant must prove they can’t pay rent due to Covid created hardships, not just claim it.

The court majority this time refused to take into consideration that the order was soon lapsing. This does not bode well for the CDC moratorium.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/12/polit...ork/index.html

Old 08-12-2021, 08:37 PM

159 posts, read 104,379 times
Does that mean they can stay as long as they remain unemployed? Sounds like it would be another incentive to remain unemployed forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2021, 09:05 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,443,724 times
Kavanaugh tried to be gracious on the previous eviction moratorium case, and the regime dissed him and the SCOTUS in response by issuing a brand new order. The SCOTUS was assuredly not amused and is not likely to make that mistake again any time soon.

Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, shame on me.

Old 08-12-2021, 09:11 PM

18,611 posts, read 7,451,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
In other words now the tenant must prove they can’t pay rent due to Covid created hardships, not just claim it.

The court majority this time refused to take into consideration that the order was soon lapsing. This does not bode well for the CDC moratorium.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/12/polit...ork/index.html
Did anyone ever figure out where the CDC got its authority to impose moratoriums?

Old 08-12-2021, 09:15 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,443,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Did anyone ever figure out where the CDC got its authority to impose moratoriums?
The SCOTUS ruled at the end of June that they have no such authority and that an act of Congress would be required to extend the moratorium. After it expired at the end of July, the regime under the auspices of the CDC extended it anyway.

The new case was heard by a DC federal court earlier this week. The judge is expected to issue a ruling snacking down the regime and the CDC at any time, maybe even tomorrow.

Old 08-12-2021, 09:53 PM

9,879 posts, read 5,540,261 times
This should be good news but I'm gobsmacked we have 3 Supreme Court justices who believe someone can simply declare themselves exempt from paying rent with zero recourse. Unbegoddamnlievable.

Old 08-13-2021, 06:46 AM

16,847 posts, read 10,476,616 times
Excellent. But I wish they considered and reaffirmed the end of the federal moratorium as well.
Moderators for US and World Forums
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies