Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2021, 08:48 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
How long has it been since your second shot?
8 months- I was one of the first in the state to get vaccinated.

The CDC recc a "booster" administered between 6-12 months after last injection. They are suggesting, but not confirmed, that an annual vaccination will be required, much like the annual flu shot. CDC and NEJM have currently recc pregnant women get their initial vaccination, which is a departure from last winter.

Currently, the only ones recc for the "booster" are immunosuppressed. I would assume that recc will be expanded to the general population by late fall.

Our hospital is now being OVERWHELMED with Covid. The interesting thing is that most of the ventilated patients are younger, not older, as was not the case with the first wave. This is having an indirect effect on every service, as nurses are redirected to the Covid ward and the ICU, thus the rest of us are very short staffed and are having to limit schedules. We have not stopped elective surgery at this time.

MOST viruses mutate to a less virulent strain in nearly all cases. Herd immunity and such mutations is how epidemics end. The Covid virus is not behaving in that fashion, unfortunately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2021, 08:48 AM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Two things stopping me from an ( unauthorized) third shot right now:

My last shot was at the end of April, just 3 + months ago, and

It could take a first dose away from someone else.

Alabama and Mississippi alternate last place for a fully vaccinated rate. Alabama had to dispose 65,000 doses that reached their expiration date and no takers. Whack job Marjorie Greene gleefully iterated the destruction of these doses at a fund raising event and as expected, the crowd cheered their approval. It went over as well as her instructions to the crowd to take up their arms, exercise their 2nd amendment right, when the knockers come to your door and try to force a vaccine on you. The crowd ate it up.
Many countries are begging for the first dose. They said the first dose of moderna provided 80 percent of protection, some experts said 94 percent. If you have had covid, and also received first shot, you are well protected.

I finished my second shot in the middle of July. I see no point of getting a booster shot this year.

Old 08-15-2021, 09:06 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,044,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
8 months- I was one of the first in the state to get vaccinated.

The CDC recc a "booster" administered between 6-12 months after last injection. They are suggesting, but not confirmed, that an annual vaccination will be required, much like the annual flu shot. CDC and NEJM have currently recc pregnant women get their initial vaccination, which is a departure from last winter.

Currently, the only ones recc for the "booster" are immunosuppressed. I would assume that recc will be expanded to the general population by late fall.

Our hospital is now being OVERWHELMED with Covid. The interesting thing is that most of the ventilated patients are younger, not older, as was not the case with the first wave. This is having an indirect effect on every service, as nurses are redirected to the Covid ward and the ICU, thus the rest of us are very short staffed and are having to limit schedules. We have not stopped elective surgery at this time.

MOST viruses mutate to a less virulent strain in nearly all cases. Herd immunity and such mutations is how epidemics end.

The Covid virus is not behaving in that fashion, unfortunately.
I will be keeping up with this.

Stay safe and be well!

Old 08-15-2021, 11:12 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Curious if your third shot was the same brand as your first or if you mixed it up.
Since the 3rd shot approval is only 3 days old, I think your question is premature.

Old 08-15-2021, 11:14 AM

18,801 posts, read 8,467,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Since the 3rd shot approval is only 3 days old, I think your question is premature.
It has been discussed and either will work.
Previous data suggests using different vaccines provides for better immunity, but more side effects.

Old 08-15-2021, 11:23 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior7 View Post
I heard you need a doctors note for third shot , it’s all honor system
No one asked for a doctor's note when I got my third one yesterday. Just check a box that says something like "I need the second dose or a third for the immunocompromised". Give them your vax card and they fill in line 3. That's it. For people like me who got shots early on, it seems strange to just log in and have an appointment for two hours later after all we had to go through to get those first shots.

Old 08-15-2021, 01:44 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,847,143 times
My neighbor just told me he walked into the grocery store yesterday and got a Moderna shot. (He was previously vaxxed with Pfizer twice in April). So he's had 2 Pfizer, 1 Moderna.

My question is, shouldn't he have gotten the Pfizer as the 3rd shot????????

Old 08-15-2021, 01:45 PM

Quote:
NOT premature. If you read the articles from the OP, people have been getting 3rd shots for weeks/months.

Old 08-15-2021, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Yup.
We are all better off if the un-vaccinated get their shots first, before the rest of us get our 3rd.
By the time the un-vaxxed get their first shot, the covid-phobic will be well on to their 4th or 5th shots........

Old 08-15-2021, 01:48 PM

18,801 posts, read 8,467,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
My neighbor just told me he walked into the grocery store yesterday and got a Moderna shot. (He was previously vaxxed with Pfizer twice in April). So he's had 2 Pfizer, 1 Moderna.

My question is, shouldn't he have gotten the Pfizer as the 3rd shot????????
Either should do. Past studies have suggested mixing the 2 endows a bit better immunity, but possibly more side effects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies