Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2021, 09:44 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Surely you realize that this line of reasoning could be used for any government transfer-payment program. SNAP? Why should I pay for you to eat? Section 8? Why should I pay for you to have a place to live? And so on. You're already paying for my child to be indoctrinated, one way or another. I would just prefer to have more of a say in what kind of indoctrination he receives.
It is a ploy to take money from public schools for schools that don't need the money because they are funded by a religious institution or a foundation. I'm sorry but I shouldn't pay for your child to go to a school that is religious. Now if you talk about a special education program that is better suited for your child, that is different. The problem I have though is too many people start saying "Wait a second, why can a special needs child seeking education get a voucher, but my child can't? I pay taxes too you know." Ideally, special needs children should get government money but not through a voucher or as Arizona law calls them "scholarships." Arizona voters voted down a proposition (2018's Prop 305) to expand the "scholarship program" a few years back, only for the Arizona State Legislature to pass it in their budget this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2021, 10:04 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It is a ploy to take money from public schools for schools that don't need the money because they are funded by a religious institution or a foundation. I'm sorry but I shouldn't pay for your child to go to a school that is religious.
Many Christian schools are not affiliated with any church or denomination and are dependent on tuition and fundraising to meet their expenses. In any case, I'm not asking you to pay for my child to go to a religious school. I'm asking that I be allowed to use my own tax money for that purpose, instead of having to pay for the public school plus pay for a private school.

Old 08-14-2021, 10:19 PM

32,060 posts, read 15,055,077 times
Quote:
Many Christian schools are not affiliated with any church or denomination and are dependent on tuition and fundraising to meet their expenses. In any case, I'm not asking you to pay for my child to go to a religious school. I'm asking that I be allowed to use my own tax money for that purpose, instead of having to pay for the public school plus pay for a private school.
The taxes you pay for public schools wouldn't even cover a half a year of a private schools tuition.

Old 08-14-2021, 10:25 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
The taxes you pay for public schools wouldn't even cover a half a year of a private schools tuition.
I'd rather get to use my tax money to pay for "less than half" of the tuition than "zero" of the tuition. At the very least, they ought to let me deduct the tuition from my taxes.

Old 08-14-2021, 10:36 PM

32,060 posts, read 15,055,077 times
Quote:
I'd rather get to use my tax money to pay for "less than half" of the tuition than "zero" of the tuition. At the very least, they ought to let me deduct the tuition from my taxes.
Well they won't. So why not send your kids to a private school anyway. And don't blame it on paying taxes for public schools

Old 08-14-2021, 10:44 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Why should I pay for your choices? I don't get why conservatives talk a big game about paying for yourself and financial responsibility, but then say that we should pay for their choice to indoctrinate a child in a religious institution. You cannot have it go both ways.

Old 08-14-2021, 10:46 PM

25 posts, read 22,372 times
Default Hospitalizes Teacher

Quote:
Well I guess the fallout for this father will be charges against him. And it's pretty pathetic that he is teaching his child that violence is ok if you don't agree with the rules. Way to go dad.
I agree. To hospitalize a teacher over a mask should never happen. This is not a good example for his child, because now dad will for definitely need a mask to go to jail for assault.

Old 08-15-2021, 06:31 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,331,262 times
For a short time, and in a relatively small number of cases back in the late Sixties, the supposedly-militant left was depicted as "taking its lumps" -- literally. The brutality demonstrated by the Chicago police against the "yippee" demonstrators in Grant Park to the chant of "The whole world is watching" was the most memorable exmple.

But there were a few other instances -- smaller in scale and mostly near construction sites in large cities, where ironworkers, hod-carriers, and other individuals, usually white and drawing above-average paychecks due to union membrship, took their frustrations out on the demonstrators; and as is likely the case today, a handful of sheltered suburbanites -- the predecessors of today's special snowflakes, were drawn ino the action. And so these dupes and amateurs were radicalized.

The better-educated activists of the day -- conservative and liberal (not many hid behind the "progressive" buzzword) alike -- simply stayed out of the fray; unfortunately, the "Trump Insurgency" has provided the more astute of the "High Left" (?) with a new, simplistic, and less-predictable faction to demonize.

Old 08-15-2021, 06:46 AM

2,801 posts, read 3,858,118 times
Quote:
Why should I pay for your choices? I don't get why conservatives talk a big game about paying for yourself and financial responsibility, but then say that we should pay for their choice to indoctrinate a child in a religious institution. You cannot have it go both ways.
Amen, brother.

Old 08-15-2021, 07:22 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,331,262 times
Quote:
Agreed! But the proper remedy is to abolish and privatize the phony "public school" system, which is devolving into little more than a bully-pulpit from which the NEA promotes its own agenda.

Quote:
Which says a lot about the quality of the "public goods", I suppose ; protected drones fear nothing so much as a level playing field.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 08-15-2021 at 07:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies