Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2021, 01:39 PM

2,335 posts, read 809,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
This is a sign that there is no arguing the point anymore, they have lost. When something as obvious as "the sky is blue" is met with the inevitable "cite sources please" you know they have run out of excuses and are pulling their turtle heads back in the shell. I see it a lot lately.
Quote:
The annoying thing about "link" is it's the equivalent to a schoolyard "who says?" All they want to do is see who you listen to and then make fun of them and you.
It's a troll tactic. You go and waste your time finding a source and then they just ignore it or simply dismiss it. And that's pretty much the tactic on everything that's said. I don't even bother with it anymore. It's the same tired arguments anyway and have been the same for the last year (it's nothing short of cult worship). At this point it's just best to go about your business and not worry about opinions on the internet. I find very few people in my community spewing the type of vitriol that you would see on forums like this. People are typically just too polite in person to do that but think they have more liberty when they're hiding behind a keyboard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2021, 01:57 PM

14,647 posts, read 9,638,130 times
Quote:
The annoying thing about "link" is it's the equivalent to a schoolyard "who says?" All they want to do is see who you listen to and then make fun of them and you.
Well this is a good place to take the school yard out of the equation and substitute white papers, research, science and analysis. Lots to read and I know it's easier to keep up than catch up.

https://www.science.org/collections/coronavirus

Old 08-15-2021, 02:04 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,617,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Oh, for God’s sake. Have you not watched the news, surfed the Internet, or even read any of the various links people have posted here for the past 18 months to 2 years? If you can’t find “proof” of some scientist declaring something about the virus as fact that we now know was not true you are just choosing to be obtuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Do you not have a search engine? Local and state health officials are considered “health experts” by the communities they serve.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...ays/ar-AALTqey

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2021/07/07/...herd-immunity/

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/2021...y-experts-say/

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/he...4-99e925b4aa48

This is the story the people of this nation were told over and over and over. Get to 70 (then 80)% vaccinated you’ll have herd immunity. When the cases started increasing you remember, the highly offensive and inflammatory “plague of the unvaccinated” - by the CDC nonetheless - to explain why that herd immunity was no longer working.

They still aren’t mentioning that a large number of unvaccinated people carrying a more virulent variant were input to the community. I keep waiting for that to finally come out.
Thank you!!!

Old 08-16-2021, 05:27 AM

19,593 posts, read 9,132,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicipher View Post
It's a troll tactic. You go and waste your time finding a source and then they just ignore it or simply dismiss it. And that's pretty much the tactic on everything that's said. I don't even bother with it anymore. It's the same tired arguments anyway and have been the same for the last year.
Yes, and that is why when I state something as a fact, I will almost always post a link with it.

If anyone wants to argue with me after I post a link, fine, but I am not going to continue to debate that person unless s/he makes it "personal" in some way (which is another troll tactic -- and, btw, my Ignore list is now very long because of that).

Old 08-16-2021, 07:18 AM

14,647 posts, read 9,638,130 times
Some quotes from the articles

Masks work best when used during low viral loading. However where active mitigations efforts are directly in play, eg. air filtration... the efficacy of masks is the least important factor in elimination spittle droplets. Social distancing is proved to be a more consistent option.

it is impossible to avoid breathing in air that someone else has exhaled, and in hospital situations where the virus concentration is the highest, even the best-performing masks used without other protective gear such as hazmat suits will not provide adequate protection.

Science, abg6296, this issue p. 1439

Because some of the articles and research is 'dated' not all the information is valid. While one is written in early 2020 with more incorrect assumptions, the later information is more accurate... even so, there is often conflict or differing conclusions.

Still going through the articles. Some I've already read from other sources.

Thanks for the information

Old 08-16-2021, 07:21 AM

36,940 posts, read 18,926,579 times
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Nice non answer.
Okay. I'm going to keep wearing one until you start. Then I'll take mine off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies