Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2021, 07:43 AM

9,501 posts, read 4,332,846 times

Advertisements

Sigh. Not sure why this is so hard. It's a novel virus. That means its new. Which means we didn't know anything about it at first and have been learning more since. Which means guidance will change as we learn more. If you can't follow that, I don't know what to tell you. It's simple and obvious. Are you confused about the concept that water is wet? It's on that level of simplicity.

Also, like many emerging health matters, it's extremely complicated - as is almost anything to do with the human body. You people act like someone misdiagnosed a bad coil pack on your car. This is why so many experts don't agree. They're figuring it out. There is no conspiracy to violate your rights or kill half the population. Just wear you damn masks and stop whining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2021, 07:53 AM

33,325 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
That is another thing... everything has to have a link. You can find a link for any proposition you want. The key is having the common sense to know what is bull.

Tell that to a teacher grading an essay.

You're the one that made the claim. Anyone can say anything.

If you can't show evidence, what you claimed lacks credibility.

Old 08-14-2021, 07:59 AM

19,013 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World_Travel_2011 View Post
A month ago, we were told by the health experts that Dallas county in Texas had reached herd immunity through a combination of vaccination and natural immunity. Now, Dallas county has a county wide mask mandate with the county judge threatening lockdowns may soon come.

This is but one example of many where the experts have been grossly wrong. A year ago, we were told by scientists that the virus lived on surfaces for long periods of time. People were scared to open doors. My company installed foot openers at the doors so people could use their feet instead of hands to open doors. Lysol was impossible to come by and everyone was washing every surface before touching it. It was crazy. Only to find out that the scientists said that wasnt necessary after all.

My office had strict masking rules, strict social distancing requirements, supervised temperature checks before entry, and a monthly pledge we all had to sign where we had to promise to call in sick if we had any of the covid symptoms. This was all at the recommendation of the company epidemiologists and the CDC. Yet the virus spread right through the office. None of those measures that the experts recommended seemed to work at all.

Yet we are told we need to trust the science. We need to trust the experts. But they have been wrong more than they have been right. If anyone else was as wrong as much as they have been then nobody would trust them. If politicians were this wrong, they would be labeled a flip flopper or incompetent and voted out of office. If I were this wrong at work, I would quickly be fired.

You can say things change. Except that doesnt explain why they confidently touted the previous claim as being a fact. If you dont know, the best thing to do isnt to BS and proclaim it as fact. The best thing is to admit that you dont know but will have an answer once enough information is available. Then liberals wonder why there is such distrust of the vaccines?

A perfect example is this time last year Trump was mocked and fact checked for claiming the vaccines would be ready by the end of the year. Scientists said it would be at least 2 years and possibly as high as ten years. At the same time, the China lab theory was labeled racist, xenophobic and pushing it would have you fact checked or cancelled by social media.

On top of all that, the scientists themselves have been shocking in their behavior and advice. Dr Fauci claimed this time last year that social distancing and lockdowns were necessary to stop the spread while at the same time encouraging people to meet random strangers off the internet for sex. Neil Ferguson in Britain famously championed lockdowns only to be caught breaking his own lockdown measures while sick with covid. It makes you wonder if he really believes what he is pushing. Obviously not concerned about his own risk.

It all begs the question of how does science and scientists keep bungling this? Why do we still trust them after being wrong so much? Amazing that so many would be so willing to give up so much for the rest of their lives on such a poor record. If your financial planner was wrong on so many investments he suggested, you would get rid of him and never listen to him again. Maybe we should start doing the same with the experts who chronically get it wrong.

Because there is science and there is official science.
Official science is the house pet of The Power.
Particularly, grants based science. You want to get your degrees, be well paid, not lift anything heavier than a pen, look very intelligent and be respected in the scientific community - you need to get a grant and be published. Even if it's for a research on what happens, if you tickle mice for extended period of time (real life research).

That brings up thousands years old principle: He, who pays, orders the music. As the result, official science is an a la carte servitude to whatever current needs of The Power is.

It is that simple.
Also, it points how much lacking integrity that science community have. They really don't care, they know well enough that they will be petted and paid, as far as their masters are in power. Hence, they will do everything to preserve feeding hands and protect themselves, even at expense of ruining any opposition or voice of real science.
To believe a media scientist is to believe a person that has no integrity, is a paid for hired hand that serves conjuncture, not The Truth.

Newton, Darwin and Einstein serve as the holy trinity of western science. And below these are the elders: Watson, Crick, Dawkins, Hawking, Dennet, Chomsky, Penrose and Sagan. And then you have the High Priests: the Nobel Prize winners, the popular writers and the media celebrities.(have you noticed, how word of an actor or comedian or an athlete became a Holy Truth?)

Their opinions are received as sermons, and their statements are quoted like sacred texts. Ordinary people are ridiculed, if they doubt the interpretations of this priesthood. Even for scientists, questioning a member of a higher tier is done only at your own risk. After all, all scientific work (from papers to grant applications) is peer reviewed, remember?

Old 08-14-2021, 07:59 AM

374 posts, read 256,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Sigh. Not sure why this is so hard. It's a novel virus. That means its new. Which means we didn't know anything about it at first and have been learning more since. Which means guidance will change as we learn more. If you can't follow that, I don't know what to tell you. It's simple and obvious. Are you confused about the concept that water is wet? It's on that level of simplicity.

Also, like many emerging health matters, it's extremely complicated - as is almost anything to do with the human body. You people act like someone misdiagnosed a bad coil pack on your car. This is why so many experts don't agree. They're figuring it out. There is no conspiracy to violate your rights or kill half the population. Just wear you damn masks and stop whining.

I wish I could double rep this. Unfortunately the average American is too dense and uneducated to understand what science really is and what the scientific process actually involves. Science is 'scary' and 'complicated' and most people anymore it seems can't be bothered to actually learn something new and instead are content to stay in their echo chambers and let other people do the thinking for them.

Old 08-14-2021, 08:01 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,466,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Dr. Fauci in early 2020: "Masks don't work. You don't need to wear a mask."

Shortly after: "You need masks. I lied to you, because of my dumb excuse that I didn't want you to cause a mask shortage, despite the fact that most people wore cloth masks, bandannas, face shields, dust masks, etc. Even though I claim that I lied to you, believe whatever I say from here on out.

Oh! And I'm definitely not profiting off of this, despite the fact that I, 'Gain of Function' Fauci, am most certainly profiting off of this.

Oh! And also? I'm going to demand that hospitals use Remdesivir, even though it's not approved by the FDA. We will not use Trump's drug or Ivermectin, even though I gave that to my entire family, and am now advocating it, long, long after other doctors were saying it worked. Trust me. I wouldn't lie to you!"

(slightly paraphrased)
Do you know why they called it the Novel Coronavirus? Hint....It had never been seen before.

Old 08-14-2021, 08:02 AM

33,325 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Apologizer.

It isn't as if there haven't been pandemics before and, it isn't as if there haven't been viruses before. Yet, the information we received was completely not in line with the settled science. As if they didn't do any research.

This virus has acted exactly like others.

The difference was irrational advice.

Remember when they tried to convince people that the vaccine's immunity was better than natural immunity? There are like 19 studies that show natural immunity is long lasting and robust even with covid, but those studies do not fit their profit motive.

Which others has it acted exactly like ?

Old 08-14-2021, 08:02 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
I'm not sure who you are listening to. None of the experts I listen to said we were at herd immunity anywhere.

I saw lots of people looking for their 15 minutes of fame, predicting all kinds of things, including speculating herd immunity, but none that I find to have credibility.

PLUS, the Delta variant has different properties, so a lot of things have changed because of that.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-14-2021, 08:17 AM

14,956 posts, read 9,790,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith32 View Post
I wish I could double rep this. Unfortunately the average American is too dense and uneducated to understand what science really is and what the scientific process actually involves. Science is 'scary' and 'complicated' and most people anymore it seems can't be bothered to actually learn something new and instead are content to stay in their echo chambers and let other people do the thinking for them.
Once science integrated politics, it was no longer science. The average American knows what's best for themselves and by the way... the average American are the ones that defend your ability to denigrate average Americans.

Old 08-14-2021, 08:20 AM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post

That would be all good and fine were it not for the practice of declaring other theories “disinformation” and having it wiped off publicly accessible sites. My problem isn’t that they are learning as they go, because it is true it’s new so that is reasonable, it’s that they are insisting that even though they don’t know for sure if they are right, by God they know the other guy is wrong. They are shutting down other possible answers. It’s unbelievable.

I am still just gobsmacked some guy had the audacity to literally say if you attack him you are attacking science.

Old 08-14-2021, 08:23 AM

19,609 posts, read 12,206,783 times
They seem pretty confident that vaccines are going to make us "safe". Enough such that we can now crowd in concert halls and bars if we are vaccinated. They are not saying this is just experimental. It seems quite irresponsible since the virus can still be transmitted among the vaccinated and they are bouncing it around tempting a new extra resistant variant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies