Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2021, 01:46 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
We are in an unusual situation with the Pandemic. To think non-immune nurses should be working in close contact with patients is simply bad medicine. But as you say, if there are none available vaccinated, than we would have to move down a notch, and take more risks. Like we did in 2020.
Does natural immunity not count?

Old 08-15-2021, 02:00 PM

6,365 posts, read 2,698,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Get the vaccine or get fired? In Shenandoah Valley, some nurses choose termination.

Good. Get those anti-vaxers out of the hospital staff entirely.

When you go to a hospital you expect the staff to take all precautions for your personal safety, not jeopardize your life and health just because you got a nurse who doesn't care if she/he spreads the worst disease to hit the USA in over 100 years.
I hope the only job they can find is stocking shelves at a Sam's Club. That's also considered critical, front line staffing and they need help. But they'll have to wear masks and get tested once a week if they expect to keep the job.
Of course if they just get vaccinated, they could go about their lives as normal. Just like the good ole days.
"Stupid is as stupid does"
You are acting like these nurses are doing their job in t-shirts and shorts coughing and sneezing in everyone's face. Are you really trying to say that you think that these nurses aren't are wearing any sort of PPE? These nurses are not only wearing medical-grade PPE, they know how to use it correctly.

Do you really think that they want to get COVID? Are you really trying to equate someone who doesn't want to get a vaccine that has been around for an extremely short time to someone that wouldn't want to get tested?

I would trust an unvaccinated nurse who got tested over a vaccinated nurse who didn't get tested because they think they are now somehow immune from COVID.

Old 08-15-2021, 02:05 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma_Duce View Post
Interesting…….. I guess some people don’t want to drink the Cool Aid

Get the vaccine or get fired? In Shenandoah Valley, some nurses choose termination.

They were hard to miss on the corner of a busy four-way intersection at the entrance to Winchester Medical Center: a group of about 20 people - many of them nurses, some in scrubs - protesting the hospital's recent coronavirus vaccine mandate.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/vaccine-f...174036809.html
Well................... as a healthcare provider I think that is just being irresponsible.

Of any place, the hospital should be one in which all employees are vaccinated. Think about it- you are concentrating those who are sick in one small area. The implications are as follows:

1. patients in the hospital for reasons other than Covid are put at higher risk
2. If the staff become infected due to not being vaccinated, it creates a huge manpower crunch
3. people will avoid the hospital for fear of being infected

When you sign up for medicine, you have certain obligations to the public, despite your personal wishes. A pandemic is not the time to turn tail and run.

Old 08-15-2021, 02:14 PM

21,836 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Well................... as a healthcare provider I think that is just being irresponsible.

Of any place, the hospital should be one in which all employees are vaccinated. Think about it- you are concentrating those who are sick in one small area. The implications are as follows:

1. patients in the hospital for reasons other than Covid are put at higher risk
2. If the staff become infected due to not being vaccinated, it creates a huge manpower crunch
3. people will avoid the hospital for fear of being infected

When you sign up for medicine, you have certain obligations to the public, despite your personal wishes. A pandemic is not the time to turn tail and run.
If it is, it is. Your or I may not think that it's exemplary behavior to turn tail and run, but if that's what an anti-vaxxer who works for a hospital chooses to do, that is their choice. They shouldn't be tied down in a chair and forced to have the vaccine. It's not a gulag camp and they can absolutely leave if they don't want to continue working at the hospital.

Old 08-15-2021, 03:43 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,657,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
If it is, it is. Your or I may not think that it's exemplary behavior to turn tail and run, but if that's what an anti-vaxxer who works for a hospital chooses to do, that is their choice. They shouldn't be tied down in a chair and forced to have the vaccine. It's not a gulag camp and they can absolutely leave if they don't want to continue working at the hospital.
Yes. They do have that freedom of choice and those are the only options. As they should be.

Think about this folks. I get tested as soon as I get to the hospital for covid and test negative. I'm admitted for an aortic embolism. I'm scheduled to have surgery (sleeve) for it at 7AM the following day. Op is successful. I start showing symptoms of covid the 3rd day in CCU.
I sue the hospital for giving me covid 19 and it's a no brainer win for me. Hospital loses millions.

How many of these suits does anyone think the hospital will put up with in the name of personal freedom to infect anyone at random?

Old 08-15-2021, 05:15 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,041,803 times
Quote:
Yep. No gulag camps in America. But, as always, there are consequences for our choices - whether we like it or not.

They have freedom to choose.

Old 08-15-2021, 05:35 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times
I suppose "I'm standing up against the man" sounds better than "this is a great excuse to collect unemployment and look self-righteous in the process, hopefully someone will make a gofundme for my lazy butt"

Old 08-15-2021, 05:40 PM

2,335 posts, read 814,406 times
Quote:
Interesting way to spin it. I believe they were terminated. The hospital initiated the action. They chose to terminate them.

Old 08-15-2021, 05:44 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,161,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma_Duce View Post
Good. Those nurses are in the wrong profession.

Old 08-15-2021, 05:48 PM

18,804 posts, read 8,462,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicipher View Post
Interesting way to spin it. I believe they were terminated. The hospital initiated the action. They chose to terminate them.
Does it improve on the quality of patient care? Probably not.
Is it in the patients best interests? Probably yes.

Hospitals have to be proactive with infectious diseases, and can't go wrong if the two questions are answered in the affirmative. If there are competent and vaccinated nurse available, they are everyone's best option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies