Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2021, 11:19 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post

Abortions are performed by doctors. It by definition is a medical procedure.
Abortions are performed by doctors? But I thought women these days are getting around abortion bans by performing self managed abortions upon themselves by using drugs. They are supposed to be quite effective up to at least the 12th week of pregnancy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2021, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
Life begins at conception.
Once again, the voters in the highly conservative Christian state of Mississippi would disagree with you.

Old 08-29-2021, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
This is the argument that comes out when the actual argument can't be sustained...
Then you might as well strongly advocate that people please abstain from indulging in sexual intercourse when a baby is not desired no matter how cute faced and sexually appealing the opposite sex partner may be. After all, using birth control can fail. Yet, there is no denying the sex drive can be very strong between two very sexy people.

Old 08-29-2021, 11:31 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,522,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Then you might as well strongly advocate that people please abstain from indulging in sexual intercourse when a baby is not desired no matter how cute faced and sexually appealing the opposite sex partner may be. After all, using birth control can fail. Yet, there is no denying the sex drive can be very strong between two very sexy people.
I would never advocate that. I'm not sure how you think that a logical conclusion based on anything I have said in this thread.

Old 08-29-2021, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Post #69 contains my thoughts on abortion.
Which means if a man rapes a woman, and he later learns she is pregnant, then he should be able to get out of rape charges by claiming the unborn baby is his and wants to take care of it, even if the woman doesn't want to go through with the pregnancy. After all, he sure won't be able to take care of the baby, if he has to go to prison from the result of being convicted of rape.

Old 08-29-2021, 11:42 PM

Quote:
I would never advocate that. I'm not sure how you think that a logical conclusion based on anything I have said in this thread.
Well, if you strongly believe life begins at conception as some other people on here strongly believe in as well, then why not advocate not indulging in sexual intercourse, unless making a baby is desired?

Old 08-29-2021, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Which means if a man rapes a woman, and he later learns she is pregnant, then he should be able to get out of rape charges by claiming the unborn baby is his and wants to take care of it, even if the woman doesn't want to go through with the pregnancy. After all, he sure won't be able to take care of the baby, if he has to go to prison from the result of being convicted of rape.
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'm not sure how you could think that a logical conclusion based on what I said in post #69: "it should be heavily regulated and only allowed for personal "choice" reasons in the early stage."

So there are only two ways you could mount an argument that what you put forward is my position:
1. the rape victim decided to carry the pregnancy to mid/late term. Why would a rape victim do that?
2. that a child born of rape wouldn't constitute a "compelling reason". I didn't list every compelling reason, just a couple of more common ones. Not the rare example you and many others seem to put forward continuously

Old 08-29-2021, 11:48 PM

13,650 posts, read 9,711,429 times
My view is that a fetus doesn't become human until it exits the mother's body, at a physiologically normal time, in physiologically normal conditions. Until such time, the fetus is indivisibly a portion of the mother's body.

More broadly, my view can be louchely but succinctly described as "pro death". I'm a strong advocate of gun-rights, of stand-your-ground principles, and also of capital punishment. I believe that suicide is eminently reasonable and honorable, and should be treated as such, whether done by the person him/herself, or assisted. I don't place high emphasis on regulation of deadly chemicals, and needless to say, take dim view of any civic or legal effort at curbing pandemics. Neither do I care much for seat-belts, safety harnesses, fire suppression systems, hard-hats or the myriad modern methods that attempt to protect life. I don't glorify gratuitous violence, but much regret that disputes are no longer settled by formal duels. And I tend to side with the most doctrinaire neocons or end-times zealots in matters of international warfare.

It is in my view a great and abiding tragedy of modern life, that we place said life on such a pedestal.

Old 08-29-2021, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Well, if you strongly believe life begins at conception as some other people on here strongly believe in as well, then why not advocate not indulging in sexual intercourse, unless making a baby is desired?
Of course the life begins at conception.

And sex should be undertaken for reasons of pleasure or any reason two consenting adults/of age desire, not just procreation.

Your line of questioning/thinking doesn't make any sense, except perhaps to some religious people. And as an atheist, their views on any matter of morality is irrelevant to me.

Old 08-29-2021, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
My view is that a fetus doesn't become human until it exits the mother's body, at a physiologically normal time, in physiologically normal conditions. Until such time, the fetus is indivisibly a portion of the mother's body.

More broadly, my view can be louchely but succinctly described as "pro death". I'm a strong advocate of gun-rights, of stand-your-ground principles, and also of capital punishment. I believe that suicide is eminently reasonable and honorable, and should be treated as such, whether done by the person him/herself, or assisted. I don't place high emphasis on regulation of deadly chemicals, and needless to say, take dim view of any civic or legal effort at curbing pandemics. Neither do I care much for seat-belts, safety harnesses, fire suppression systems, hard-hats or the myriad modern methods that attempt to protect life. I don't glorify gratuitous violence, but much regret that disputes are no longer settled by formal duels. And I tend to side with the most doctrinaire neocons or end-times zealots in matters of international warfare.

It is in my view a great and abiding tragedy of modern life, that we place said life on such a pedestal.
Thanks for your honesty. Not many with that view are so happy to announce it so clearly.

The extreme left is with you on this topic. Abortion on demand for any reason even if a toe remains in the birth canal. It is a right worth celebrity they believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies