Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2021, 10:00 AM

2,709 posts, read 1,040,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
Abortion is far different than infanticide. It’s not strange at all to understand the difference.
Abortion is taking the life of another living individual human being its infancy. Abortion is no different than infanticide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2021, 10:11 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,023,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisan10 View Post
Even though it’s illegal, people still murder. It's not a right, just because it happens. Abortion/killing another human being is a violation of the rights of that living human being.
Call it what you will. Abortion is legal woman have the right to abortion if they want one.

Old 08-30-2021, 10:13 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,023,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisan10 View Post
Abortion is taking the life of another living individual human being its infancy. Abortion is no different than infanticide.
But it is different even if you think it isn’t.

Old 08-30-2021, 10:13 AM

21,938 posts, read 9,508,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
It's a fetus, not an individual or a baby.
So at what point does it become a baby?

Old 08-30-2021, 10:14 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
We accept killing people in certain situations. Abortion is no different. It is up to us to determine whehter the other values justify killing people.

People can be killed fo committing crimes (in some states) or for being on the wrong side of a political or religious disagreement (war and other military action). Soldiers are allowed to kill people as long as a politician tells them to do it. We accept the CIA killing other people in various situations. We canonize movie characters who kill people for revenge, or justice, or because they are bad people, r often even because they work for bad people and are in the way of the "good guy's" goal of vengeance or justice or whatever.

We also know and accept that many of our products or processes will kill a certain number of people (particularly cars). This is ok as long as it is not too many people. Cars, buildings, dams, electricity, swimming pools, etc. We know all of these things are going to kill people. However that is OK as long as the numbers do not cross an arbitrary threshold or as long as we can blame the people in some way (they were stupid, or their parents should have watched them better). Still we know what we are doing will kill people and we accept it.

We know people will die from various natural events (avalanches, tornados, hurricanes, avalanche, insect/snake bites, etc.) We could prevent many or all of such deaths, but the cost is too great so instead we accept those people being killed - as long as it is not too many people.

So the real question of abortion is when is it OK to kill these people?

Old 08-30-2021, 02:28 PM

36,536 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
My views have evolved as well.

I used to be solidly prochoice and I didn't think 'a man should tell a woman what to do with her body'.

I didn't think about it all in too much depth. I didn't need to.

When I was about 30, I dated a guy whose previous girlfriend had had 6 abortions by the time she was 35. Made me kind of sick. It never occurred to me that people used abortion as birth control like that. He wanted me to get pregnant. I could have never married him because I couldn't respect that he would have been involved in that.

I never really thought about it much. I would see the people protesting with pictures of aborted baby parts and it was disturbing. I didn't like those tactics. Never paid attention to those women. They were extremists IMO.

Around 35, I started deciding I wanted children. I got married at 39 and and we got pregnant. I watched the week by week development of my baby and started realizing that the concept of late term abortion really bothered me. I kept hearing about abortions to save the life of the mother and I realized that was BS. There is no condition that you have to abort a baby late term to save the mother's life. Then I realized abortion was political...just another tool used by the left to divide people and my views started changing. I am ok with early term abortion but not much past 10 weeks. I was never pregnant in all my years of dating and sex because I was careful. There is no such thing as an 'accidental' pregnancy.
Im just curious how you came to the realization that the very few late term abortions preformed to save the mothers life were BS. I assume you had a normal pregnancy, no complications and that your child was born alive, healthy, no medical issues, disease or malformation that took its life shortly after birth.

Old 08-30-2021, 03:21 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
I personally could not have an abortion, but that doesn't mean I impose my belief system on anyone else who has no qualms about having one. It is and always should be a personal choice. Forcing an ideological belief system on anyone who thinks differently than you is like the Taliban forcing their belief system on everyone. It's just plain wrong.

Old 08-30-2021, 03:29 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
I personally could not kill my neighbor because their dog bit me, but that doesn't mean I impose my belief system on anyone else who has no qualms about killing a neighbor whose dog bites them. It is and always should be a personal choice. Forcing an ideological belief system on anyone who thinks differently than you is like the Taliban forcing their belief system on everyone. It's just plain wrong.

Old 08-30-2021, 04:19 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
That's not true. There are a lot of conditions that develop that threaten mom's life, pre-eclampsia and Cholestasis being two of them, and they're common. And life-threatening. You have to deliver the baby to save the mom. And if the mom is 37+ weeks pregnant, no problem at all, good to go. If the mom is around 27 weeks or less, you have a problem. Do the parents want a preemie that will likely struggle and not be fully healthy? And then between 27-37 weeks, it's still touch and go although the later you get the greater chance the baby will be absolutely fine. It's a choice, and a very hard one.

And you make NO SENSE blaming the left here. You call the right extremists, and then blame the left for using abortion as a "tool to divide us". Puzzling.

Swing and a miss!

Neither condition requires an abortion and both are resolved by early delivery.

https://www.healthline.com/health/pr...psia#treatment

https://www.cedars-sinai.org/health-...pregnancy.html

Old 08-30-2021, 04:24 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,019,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post
Okay, let's attempt to have an intelligent and nuanced conversation about arguably the most controversial topic in the US.

Let me give you my position on abortion and let's see where we can go from here:

I'm 42, but in my teens I was against abortion. I thought about it and I truly thought that any abortion was the same as murder. Then, as I got into my early 20s, my views evolved a bit. I got why some people got abortions and I didn't feel like it was my place to judge someone who got one.

At 23 I got a girl pregnant, and although my first choice would have been to put the baby up for adoption, we ended up aborting at 8 weeks into the pregnancy. The time leading up to the abortion and the time after that abortion was among the worst in my life. I felt awful for what I had participated in and paid for and it led me to occasional excessive drinking and suicidal thoughts. It took at least 2 years for me to recover emotionally from that event.

Now I'm 42 and my wife is 21 weeks pregnant, and once again I'm truly questioning my views on abortion. Every time we go to the doctor for a scan, I get more and more excited seeing the development of my daughter. She kind of looks human now even and she's even moving around a bit.

My view is this: I don't think abortion should be illegal and I still think it should be available to women who need it. I realize that there are certain medical circumstances where it might be necessary to abort later in the pregnancy, so I'm not comfortable preventing those types of later term abortion.

But many/most US states have limit of 24 weeks for "choice" abortion. I think that that might be too much time. I certainly wouldn't cry foul if they restricted abortions to 18 weeks or less, and just keep it at that.

What do you think?

On a side note, nothing irritates me more in an abortion debate than when one side calls people who get abortions "murderer" or worse, or when the other side claims that people looking to restrict abortion rights do so because they "want to control women." Those types of arguments are counterproductive to an intelligent discussion.
My feelings don't matter as a guy.

I simply do not believe government has a say and it is up to the woman.

I do support the medical community establishing up to x weeks which should be when it transitions from cells to a baby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies