Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2021, 11:14 AM

323 posts, read 129,787 times

Advertisements

Interesting ……the vaccine Nazis aren’t going to like this, the church may get a call from the IRS to change their mind

California mega-church offers COVID vaccine ‘religious exemption’ in public Instagram post

Destiny Christian Church in Rocklin, which openly defied Gov. Gavin Newsom’s COVID-19 shutdown orders, now plans to provide “religious exemptions” to people who want to avoid getting vaccinated.

https://archive.vn/2021.08.15-135938...253485334.html

Old 08-15-2021, 11:22 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,874,591 times
Does this "church" have a documented history of being anti-vaccine before COVID? If not, it's purely political and it won't fly with most employers. Antivaxxers have been trying this tactic for years and it rarely works.

Old 08-15-2021, 11:58 AM

5,209 posts, read 1,797,134 times
Wouldn't church be the logical place to get a religious exemption? I guess a mosque or synagogue would do also.

Old 08-15-2021, 12:10 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,874,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
Wouldn't church be the logical place to get a religious exemption? I guess a mosque or synagogue would do also.
Neither the Jewish nor the Islamic faith have a policy against vaccines. In fact, both religions have endorsed vaccine use over the years. The same is true for the Catholic Church. I'm sure individual within those faiths might be antivaxx, but they can't use their religion as their excuse.

Old 08-15-2021, 12:48 PM

5,209 posts, read 1,797,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Neither the Jewish nor the Islamic faith have a policy against vaccines. In fact, both religions have endorsed vaccine use over the years. The same is true for the Catholic Church. I'm sure individual within those faiths might be antivaxx, but they can't use their religion as their excuse.
It's not that a religion is against vaccines as a matter of theology. Obviously, vaccines came along after most religions were established.

A person's free will decision about their body, in communion with God, is to be honored. That could amount to a religious exemption.

Old 08-15-2021, 03:39 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,058,679 times
First off, there is something specious about a Church using 'Instagram' AT ALL.

Secondly, I don't need a pre-existing church to confer some imaginary 'policy' benefit upon me. As a Free Citizen, I can come to my own decisions about the choice to be covid-vaccinated, or not.

Old 08-15-2021, 03:43 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,219,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Does this "church" have a documented history of being anti-vaccine before COVID? If not, it's purely political and it won't fly with most employers. Antivaxxers have been trying this tactic for years and it rarely works.
^^^^ This. They can't suddenly just come up with this religious doctrine from whole cloth. The only religion I am aware of that would really qualify in the way religious exemptions are supposed to work are Christian Scientists. It will be interesting to see how many converts they get if mandates actually happen. Of course those converts will also have to be OK with foregoing treatment for other diseases like cancer.

I also recall reading that Islam and Judaism had some groups that were against certain vaccines that contained pork byproducts, not because they were against the medical intervention like the Christian Scientists but because they are not supposed to inject pork products. But I believe at this point most of their religious leaders have opined that vaccines are OK.

Old 08-15-2021, 03:47 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,219,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
It's not that a religion is against vaccines as a matter of theology. Obviously, vaccines came along after most religions were established.

A person's free will decision about their body, in communion with God, is to be honored. That could amount to a religious exemption.
Historically religious exemptions have been eradicated much more narrowly than that. This was tested in the 60s with a number of people who felt they should be able to use illegal drugs under a religious exemption. The only people who were found to be able to claim an exemption for religious reasons were certain Native American people whose relgious use of peyote went back for many generations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies