Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2011, 06:18 AM

1,738 posts, read 2,072,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinion View Post
Section 8 in my opinion is being abused like our welfare system! We (Americans) need to shout out against this abuse! Maybe we can use the money for the Poor who really need it and the Elderly.

Section 8 should have restrictions! Here's a list of mine.

a. If any member in your house commits a crime it's (section 8) cut off.

b. You must live clean, there is no excuse to live Poor and Dirty! NONE..

c. 6 year restriction, after that the tenants need to look to rent elsewhere.

Section 8 is creating projects in neighborhoods all across America. I'm so tired of seeing people that are able to work take advantage of the Elderly and the true Poor.

End Section 8 now!
I think....

1) it should depend on the crime and which family member (underage maybe) did it.
2) I agree
3) Not so sure about time limits, maybe an extension if people in the house are working and of course, raise the amount they are responsible to pay.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:12 PM

1 posts, read 968 times
Homeowners don't commit crimes I guess.they also don't have drug dealing boyfriends.Homeowners are the only people that like to live in safe neighborhoods.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:24 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,770,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Unfortunately, it really can bring property values down when Section 8 rental property is mixed with other single family property or even other rental property.
If you need someone to blame, blame the landlords. They are the ones who sign up for Section 8. There are landlords who like that concept knowing that the rent is guaranteed.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
The thing about Sec. 8 housing and tenants is that they are all among us and sometimes you can't pick out the housing or the tenants from those paying market rents.

I guess in addition to the poor and elderly you deem worthy of help we could add single mothers, minor children and the disabled.
^^^Someone who gets it. It's up to the landlord if they want to sign up and accept Section 8.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I thnik evrybody knows which housing units are section 8.The worst thing is that once they use to it;they seesm dependent on the feds for life many times.Once they destroy things the feds come in and inspect ;then pay for the repairs with tax dollars.
Section 8 does not translate into 100% housing projects. There are many privately owned apartment buildings that accept Section 8. Not everyone on Section 8 "trashes" their home or their neighborhood.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:45 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,381,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayangod View Post
Homeowners don't commit crimes I guess.they also don't have drug dealing boyfriends.Homeowners are the only people that like to live in safe neighborhoods.
There are always exceptions to a rule but generally homeowners even when you control for incomes tend to take better care of their property and are more rooted in the community that renters and definitely renters on Section 8.

It really is common sense.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Section 8 does not translate into 100% housing projects. There are many privately owned apartment buildings that accept Section 8. Not everyone on Section 8 "trashes" their home or their neighborhood.
Not everyone (since when is 100% participation in an act a requirement to spot a trend?) but enough. The data is clear. Section 8 destroys neighborhoods.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:47 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,789,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Hopefully this has already been addressed in this old thread but wanted to add in case it hadn't

a - Section 8 has requirements that no illegal activity can occur on a section 8 property or you will lose your voucher

b - Section 8 has requirements that if you destroy property or live filthy to the point of causing the homeowner extensive damage, you will lose your voucher

c - I want to agree with that. I work in the public housing sector and would like to see limits on all public housing. It is ridiculous how long people are unwilling to get off of this type of assistance but really if you look at it who can blame them when they are only paying $100 a month rent, less in some cases, more in others but I have never seen any rents over $500. I would like to see a cap on the amount of time that young people can live in public housing, like 5 years, similar to welfare restrictions.
Wanted to repost this since the thread came back alive.

Wanted to add that you only need contact your local housing authority in order to report anyone who is suspected of being involved in crimes (if they are arrested or a crime has occurred on the property, the person and family will automatically enter the eviction process) or who have poor housekeeping. Someone should come out to inspect and if they don't you can always contact the media. Housing authorities hate the media and don't like to be on the news.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
^^^Someone who gets it. It's up to the landlord if they want to sign up and accept Section 8.
Actually several cities have pronounced voucher holders as a protected class. Although they haven't gone as far as requiring participation in Section 8, yet at least.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:49 PM

779 posts, read 536,630 times
Yes, get rid of section 8!

Then, after we eradicate section 8, I will complain about homeless families wandering the streets!

I am so logical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.