Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 08:08 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
What portion of your paycheck do you lose to section 8?
They don't know, and they don't know how to estimate it. Here's a hint: if you were the typical taxpayer, it could come to as much as the cost of one Dunkin Doughnut per week. If we were talking about corporate welfare on the other hand, we would be speaking of the numbers of dozens of Dunkin Doughnuts per week...

Old 05-15-2008, 08:16 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,066,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHussein4Prez View Post
See also: "I was going to get the job, but the HR manager told me that they had to hire a minority, therefore breaking the law and opening him/herself up to a GIGANTIC lawsuit," or "I had a perfect GPA and a 4500 SAT score, but I couldn't get into Minimum Standards University because they gave my spot to some guy named Miguel Leroy Jenkins-Hernandez with a 2.1 blah blah blah blah." Let 1 our of ever 5 college students tell the story, affirmative action kept them out of the college of their choice. (Did you read about this? Kid graduates in the top 12% of her class and is suing UT Austin because she didn't get in...never mind that you have to make top 10% to get automatic acceptance into UT. Top 12% is not top 10%!)
I'm a UT Austin grad. What the problem? She didn't meet academic standards established by the school. She can go to one of the other campuses and if her grades there are good enough transfer in.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
They don't know, and they don't know how to estimate it. Here's a hint: if you were the typical taxpayer, it could come to as much as the cost of one Dunkin Doughnut per week. If we were talking about corporate welfare on the other hand, we would be speaking of the numbers of dozens of Dunkin Doughnuts per week...
For these guys it's probably well less than a donut a week.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:18 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,413,412 times
Quote:
Ain't that the truth. The only people sitting around bellyaching about how welfare is being abused (cough byaverysmallnumberofpeople cough) are the people who are about two paychecks away from welfare themselves. The true middle class and up know that the bulk of taxes aren't going to welfare programs in the least.
I doubt that'd be the case if there no 50%+ tax rate on small business.

Quote:
In their defense, these riled-up people did not invent the lies. They merely heard them and were gullible enough to believe them and pass them on...at times, and as noted, making up fantastic, supposedly eye-witness, accounts in order to bolster the tale...
Actually, I worked apartment maintenance years ago and my family owns over 50 rentals. I've seen it first hand.

Quote:
Over 50%. It's all welfare.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by rlchurch
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
So you assert that the United States spends $1.5 Trillion per year on Section 8 housing vouchers?

Old 05-15-2008, 08:24 AM

60 posts, read 100,401 times
No, but apparently s/he doesn't have a problem with corporate welfare, just the welfare that helps out those damned poor people.

Quote:
I'm a UT Austin grad. What the problem? She didn't meet academic standards established by the school. She can go to one of the other campuses and if her grades there are good enough transfer in.
Yeah, but she RILLYRILLYRILLY wants to go NOWNOWNOWDADDYIWANNAGONOW!!!!!!!! College admissions are such a crap shoot anyway. I had two #1 choices and I got wait listed at one school and a full scholarship to the other. By the time the first school came around, I was already committed to the second. Why? Mmmdunno. Different schools, different standards. LSU and Baylor ain't exactly anything to sneeze at.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:32 AM

Quote:
So you assert that the United States spends $1.5 Trillion per year on Section 8 housing vouchers?
And if liberals had their way, it would be even more than that!!!

Old 05-15-2008, 08:34 AM

Quote:
No, but apparently s/he doesn't have a problem with corporate welfare, just the welfare that helps out those damned poor people.

Yeah, but she RILLYRILLYRILLY wants to go NOWNOWNOWDADDYIWANNAGONOW!!!!!!!! College admissions are such a crap shoot anyway. I had two #1 choices and I got wait listed at one school and a full scholarship to the other. By the time the first school came around, I was already committed to the second. Why? Mmmdunno. Different schools, different standards. LSU and Baylor ain't exactly anything to sneeze at.
They're both fine schools. How well you do later in life depends more upon how hard you work at school and in life than the name of the institution on your diploma.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:38 AM

1,016 posts, read 4,542,626 times
Quote:
Oh please, get off your "if you don't agree with me, than that means you are uneducated" high horse. I'm so sure you have the fed's budget memorized yourself. Here is an article I found on the subject:
Where do my income tax dollars go? - Answer desk - MSNBC.com
According to this, the average American salary is $52,000/year, or $1,000/week. Assuming this article is correct, it states that on that salary, $14.40/week goes to housing assistance, so this would add up to about $700/year. That figure does not account for all the other social programs given to people who do not take personal responsibility for getting an education and skills necessary for supporting themselves.

As far as section 8 fraud, I only know one person personally who receives section 8, and she absolutely does abuse the system. She fell pregnant at 18 and was unmarried. Her parents had every intention of letting her and her baby live with them, but she preferred to have her own apartment because her Mom was "in her business too much". Her words. Her baby's father, who has a job, lives with her in her section 8 apartment. She parties all the time and drops her baby off at her Mom's constantly. While this is only one example, it absolutely is accurate.

Last edited by sbd78; 05-15-2008 at 08:58 AM..

Old 05-15-2008, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Actually, I worked apartment maintenance years ago and my family owns over 50 rentals. I've seen it first hand.
So why hasn't the family dropped out of Section-8? There is no requirement that any landlord participate in the program. Relatively few in fact do. In some areas, as a Section-8 eligible renter, you can wait 5 to 8 years for a place to become available...

Quote:
Yeah, and about another 25% goes to foreign aid, too! At least that what surveys show the average American believes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies