Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2021, 11:41 AM

28,661 posts, read 18,764,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
After owning a business for years I've decided that there is way more to work than skill. Being on time, having a presentable appearance, honesty, showing initiative, being able to learn, there's more, but the list would be long. And, for the business owners, their skills center on knowing that paying well for necessary but low skilled labor is just as important as paying well for skilled labor. It takes a lot of teamwork of low and high skill to manage the enterprise, and all labor is meaningful to that end.
And so it may pay well to pay well the person who does excellently in that low-skill-but-essential job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2021, 11:48 AM

3,316 posts, read 2,132,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
And so it may pay well to pay well the person who does excellently in that low-skill-but-essential job.

Worked fine for me when I was in the service business. I paid my staff an average of $6.00/hr more than my competitors did. Sure, I took a person hit, but lived comfortably and modestly. Had great, reliable staff (in fairness I was choosy). On the other hand, my competitors saw unimaginable churn and relied heavily upon illegal labor and drug addicts, which usually meant that I picked up some of their clients after they got sick of the poor service and/or theft issues. About half of these people had to rebrand, relocate, or go out of business once local businesses and government entities were sufficiently aware of their nonsense. Wild ride though, I suppose. I recall a few of them at pre-bid meetings bragging about their expensive truck, their new speed boat, and even breast implants (lol). Sure hope they weren't financed.

Old 08-17-2021, 12:23 PM

10,074 posts, read 7,754,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Be careful calling any job "unskilled" or "low-skilled" or you might hurt people's feelings and dignity.

https://qz.com/2046486/there-is-no-s...utm_source=YPL
I'd just have to hurt someone's feelings. I'm not going WOKE. Sorry. People need to stop being so sensitive and asking for others to change. Get over it.

Old 08-17-2021, 01:21 PM

6,746 posts, read 3,361,971 times
Too bad the left gets so butthurt over the truth.

If you're here illegally and have no skills you are an unskilled illegal alien.

It is what it is.

Old 08-17-2021, 01:23 PM

20,758 posts, read 8,562,401 times
Any job a child can do is low skilled. Picking strawberries is low skilled.

Old 08-17-2021, 01:26 PM

5,859 posts, read 3,295,032 times
I do not care if someone is a low skilled or a high skilled worker. I respect any man or woman who goes to work. A job equals dignity in my eyes.

Old 08-17-2021, 01:36 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,572,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Any job a child can do is low skilled. Picking strawberries is low skilled.
Go pick strawberries for weeks in a row and tell me a child could do that.

Old 08-17-2021, 01:39 PM

29,443 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
Go pick strawberries for weeks in a row and tell me a child could do that.
He didn't say they had to be good at it....

Old 08-17-2021, 02:04 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
They are low skilled, putting yet another term is not going to change this fact.

I was a low skilled worker when I first got to the US, only a moron would think the term is insulting or something. Sorry, me working in the kitchen, me as an associate at a retail store, are low skilled jobs, you can walk in and be trained a a couple of hours.
I agree.
Low skilled/unskilled is just a job that does not require much skill/natural talent/training.
Starting out most people are unskilled. My first jobs were cooking/waiting tables in diners, cleaning houses, babysitting. I moved on to a summer job working in an office. None of those jobs took any skill. That does not mean they dont require some intelligence, motivation, patience and hard work. There is nothing wrong with having an unskilled job. If there wasnt a need the job would not exist. My hat is off to anyone who holds a job no matter what the skill level.

Old 08-17-2021, 02:21 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,085,312 times
It all started with "Special" Olympics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies