Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2021, 04:02 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
It bothers me when that term is used for mechanics, electricians, plumbers, construction workers. Those jobs require skill and hard work. I do agree that one needs to work hard to move upwards, but I never would put anyone down for working any job.

I never liked it in sports where everyone got a trophy in sports, the little ones fine, but after a certain point no. My son played only one year in a sport and quit, his senior year the high school awarded him with a plaque, he threw it away, he thought of it as a joke and threw it away
Those were always called "the skilled trades". The only low-skill work in them was always done by apprentices, back when unions made a person actually have to learn and perform a job well to be considered a skilled worker.
Back then, the skilled workers were called Journeymen. We don't hear that word used as much anymore, so folks don't know the distinction between skilled and non-skilled like they once did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2021, 04:07 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,412,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
Go pick strawberries for weeks in a row and tell me a child could do that.
You are confusing physical endurance with skills.

A child can quickly learn to pick strawberries, whether they or anyone can do it for one hour or one year straight is irrelevant.

Old 08-17-2021, 04:10 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,575,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
You are confusing physical endurance with skills.

A child can quickly learn to pick strawberries, whether they or anyone can do it for one hour or one year straight is irrelevant.
Endurance is a skill. It’s what matters when it comes to produce harvest. You pay for endurance with that kind of work.

Old 08-17-2021, 05:02 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Endurance is a skill. It’s what matters when it comes to produce harvest. You pay for endurance with that kind of work.
Endurance is not a skill, but it is a characteristic that is worth pay.

Old 08-17-2021, 05:35 PM

2,400 posts, read 782,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
I wish I had the pig lipstick concession for this country.
I'm curious. Does it take a particular type of lipstick, or will any only type do?

Old 08-17-2021, 05:40 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,388,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Water View Post
I'm curious. Does it take a particular type of lipstick, or will any only type do?
No, it is a special product with pigments that cover EVERYTHING yet allows the viewer to see things pretty much the way they really are.

Old 08-18-2021, 09:05 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,576,536 times
Quote:
Go pick strawberries for weeks in a row and tell me a child could do that.
I did that as a child which is why I mentioned it. We went as a family everyday to a local farm during strawberry season. My mother would spend the evening cleaning and freezing the strawberries so we'd have them when strawberry season ended.

I also picked blueberries, which I hated because it took forever to fill up a bucket with those tiny berries. At least strawberries were big so the basket filled up faster. Of course, it didn't help that I ate half of everything I picked.

Old 08-18-2021, 09:45 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,412,060 times
Quote:
It is not a skill.

At that, as a child in the USSR, we use to spend all damn day picking stuff, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Endurance is not a skill, but it is a characteristic that is worth pay.
Exactly, just like showing up to work on time is not a skill.

Old 08-18-2021, 10:45 PM

50,270 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Word salad, this is how the term "Assault Weapon" got created too.

Old 08-18-2021, 10:47 PM

50,270 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Those were always called "the skilled trades". The only low-skill work in them was always done by apprentices, back when unions made a person actually have to learn and perform a job well to be considered a skilled worker.
Back then, the skilled workers were called Journeymen. We don't hear that word used as much anymore, so folks don't know the distinction between skilled and non-skilled like they once did.
Illegal Immigration killed any of these union jobs on the lower end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies