Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2021, 06:14 AM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times

Advertisements

Be careful calling any job "unskilled" or "low-skilled" or you might hurt people's feelings and dignity.

https://qz.com/2046486/there-is-no-s...utm_source=YPL

Quote:
How we refer to a group of people can shape their circumstances. Consider the difference between “illegal aliens” and “undocumented people,” or between “migrants” and “refugees.” The policy implications for groups like these can vary with the amount of empathy and dignity we show them.

There’s not much dignity in being referred to as a “low-skilled” or “unskilled” worker. But these phrases get bandied about so easily in economics, politics, and the press that it’s easy to miss that they’re insults.......

A new working paper, posted by the National Bureau of Economic Research, proposes a different moniker for the workers often referred to as low-skilled: STARS, or “skilled through alternative routes.” This term is tied to the solutions the authors propose for addressing income inequality in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2021, 06:19 AM

4,383 posts, read 4,388,108 times
I wish I had the pig lipstick concession for this country.

Old 08-17-2021, 06:21 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,643,964 times
LOL...that is some funny stuff right there. More, everyone is a winner participation trophy BS.

Sorry, life isn't fair. We all can't be CEO's or highly talented fabricators. The one thing that is common though, from the lowest worker to the highest worker....they are in the workforce. Which is much better than those that are able to work, yet choose to mooch off the system.

Old 08-17-2021, 06:31 AM

9,500 posts, read 2,919,226 times
It bothers me when that term is used for mechanics, electricians, plumbers, construction workers. Those jobs require skill and hard work. I do agree that one needs to work hard to move upwards, but I never would put anyone down for working any job.

I never liked it in sports where everyone got a trophy in sports, the little ones fine, but after a certain point no. My son played only one year in a sport and quit, his senior year the high school awarded him with a plaque, he threw it away, he thought of it as a joke and threw it away

Old 08-17-2021, 06:34 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
It bothers me when that term is used for mechanics, electricians, plumbers, construction workers. Those jobs require skill and hard work. I do agree that one needs to work hard to move upwards, but I never would put anyone down for working any job.

I never liked it in sports where everyone got a trophy in sports, the little ones fine, but after a certain point no. My son played only one year in a sport and quit, his senior year the high school awarded him with a plaque, he threw it away, he thought of it as a joke and threw it away
I couldn't agree more, and never would categorize those as low or non skilled jobs.

Old 08-17-2021, 06:34 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
I've never heard anyone refer to plumbers, electricians etc. as unskilled or low-skilled labor.

Maybe if they're just kids starting out in construction or changing oil.

If you heard it, you probably heard it from some upper class snob Karen type with no clue.

Old 08-17-2021, 06:35 AM

26,494 posts, read 15,070,512 times
Liberals need to stop denying facts.

Brain surgeon is a high skill job.

Stocker at Walmart is a low skill job.

You can take the average Joe off the street and make them a competent stocker in a short time, but you can't do that with brain surgeon.

It doesn't mean 1 job makes a person a better human, but some jobs simply require more skill.

Old 08-17-2021, 06:36 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Liberals need to stop denying facts.

Brain surgeon is a high skill job.

Stocker at Walmart is a low skill job.

You can take the average Joe off the street and make them a competent stocker in a short time, but you can't do that with brain surgeon.

It doesn't mean 1 job makes a person a better human, but some jobs simply require more skill.
All that really matters is if there is a shortage of workers in the field and right now there's a shortage of workers in pretty much everything because the growing number of parasites in the system (top and bottom suck from the middle).. on the other hand I'd expect a living wage or I wouldn't take the job, so I wouldn't expect people to want to work for crumbs when they keep blowing up bubbles and spending QE money even now.

Last edited by sholomar; 08-17-2021 at 07:14 AM..

Old 08-17-2021, 06:51 AM

4,661 posts, read 1,951,679 times
Only people who don't understand there is honor and pride in doing ANY job would come up with this idea. Far more then a person who sits on their butt and says I am to good for that don't understand this concept.

Old 08-17-2021, 06:55 AM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times
These people are stupid. They need to shut the hell up and go hide somewhere.
I don’t know why anyone with even a shred of brain cells listens to these morons.
Why does anyone let these idiots bully them around?
Stop listening to them and start pushing back and grow a pair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies