Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2021, 09:38 AM

35,565 posts, read 20,909,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Seems our Kiwi friends caught a bad case of faucism......

https://www.axios.com/new-zealand-co...4c3aaea38.html
Just saw a Dr from Australia explain that Delta is like a rabid dog. It will come after anyone it can. Those who think can battle it on their own with out masks, vaccines and distance -will help the virus spread. They are a big island. I’d parade my sharks around it all and keep the airport’s closed. We are going to suffer more deaths. We live in denial and are somewhat arrogant about our freedom. He did say more vaccines are in the works for the kids. In the USA 5 yr olds are in ICUs with covid. God help us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2021, 09:38 AM

5,789 posts, read 3,583,738 times
Quote:
Yes, must be nice to be surrounded by the ocean instead of having a WIDE open southern border that allows un-tapped infected covid illegals to cross over daily and bussed into the interior.
Ahh, Shifting the Goalposts, I see.

Your original post was about lockdowns alone - and your claim that they're an unwarranted intrusion on civil liberties and freedom. You said nothing about illegal immigration into this country. So my implicit claim still sands - not only are lockdowns not a violation of civil liberties and freedom, they are actually vital to public safety. It makes no sense to talk about freedom and civil liberties for the dead, after all.

Old 08-17-2021, 09:40 AM

14,181 posts, read 4,539,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
EXACTLY. I have a friend who spends a lot of time for work in New Zealand, and when you arrive you have to quarantine for 2 weeks regardless. Period.

On the other hand, this virus will get there in time. And they will have the benefit of all the knowledge and techniques to deal with it that the rest of the world has developed. So, smart.

But it will get there.
Except if you are an illegal alien coming in from the southern border. No quarantine there. Oh wait, that’s Biden’s America, not NZ

Old 08-17-2021, 09:43 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,969,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
Ahh, Shifting the Goalposts, I see.

Your original post was about lockdowns alone - and your claim that they're an unwarranted intrusion on civil liberties and freedom. You said nothing about illegal immigration into this country. So my implicit claim still sands - not only are lockdowns not a violation of civil liberties and freedom, they are actually vital to public safety. It makes no sense to talk about freedom and civil liberties for the dead, after all.
Lets not pretend that the recent spikes in covid numbers are not the fault of importing over 1 million people from the third world..... nothing to see here folks. Faucism works and can apply to Americans, but not to thee who walk over our border.

Old 08-17-2021, 09:55 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,292,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
They must be doing something right if they only have 1 case of Covid.
Please read a bit more carefully; New Zealand has had over 2000 cases of COVID -- but the vast majority were ideintifired and quarantined early, (and the country's relative isolation probably helped with this).

The "one case of COVID" actually refers to the only known case of the Delta variant. Assuming this figure turns out to be true, and holds, it provides a unique opportunity to study the threat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
Faucism, unlike fascism, saves lives

Way to go, Kiwi-land, even if geography does give you a huge advantage with pandemic control!!!
And this is precisely why the authoritarian approch won't, and can't work in North America, due not ony to our porous borders, but our instinctive trust of too much authority,

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 08-17-2021 at 10:12 AM..

Old 08-17-2021, 10:07 AM

29,194 posts, read 14,474,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
New Zealand has benefited economically from their strong response to COVID-19.
Just curious, how ? I just read what their level 4 lockdown is, it pretty much shuts everything down. No food deliveries, does that mean restaurants are closed ?

Did they have a level 4 shutdown before ? If so , how long ? I can't see how small businesses were able to benefit from being shut down, if they were.

Old 08-17-2021, 10:09 AM

14,181 posts, read 4,539,249 times
Quote:
Lets not pretend that the recent spikes in covid numbers are not the fault of importing over 1 million people from the third world..... nothing to see here folks. Faucism works and can apply to Americans, but not to thee who walk over our border.
I heard if you travel 2000 miles across multiple countries using ground public transportation packed like sardines and then end up in overcrowded migrant detention camps, you automatically gain natural immunity to COVID-19 and Ebola and HIV.

But if you are an unvaccinated American = COVID-19

Old 08-17-2021, 10:27 AM

4,291 posts, read 1,540,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Just curious, how ? I just read what their level 4 lockdown is, it pretty much shuts everything down. No food deliveries, does that mean restaurants are closed ?

Did they have a level 4 shutdown before ? If so , how long ? I can't see how small businesses were able to benefit from being shut down, if they were.
Yes, they had strict lockdown measures for five weeks in March/April 2020. It essentially stopped the virus from spreading and allowed them to open up fully (international travel apart) much sooner - it was declared "virus-free' in June 2020.

I wouldn't say the economy benefitted at the time, in September 2020 they entered a recession, however, they have rebounded successfully in 2021 due to being able to open up, but the lack of tourism remains an issue.

https://capital.com/new-zealand-avoi...h-2021-quarter

If you' like to read about the financial support for businesses in NZ - it's here. https://covid19.govt.nz/business-and...or-businesses/

Old 08-17-2021, 10:29 AM

29,194 posts, read 14,474,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
Yes, they had strict lockdown measures for five weeks in March/April 2020. It essentially stopped the virus from spreading and allowed them to open up fully (international travel apart) much sooner - it was declared "virus-free' in June 2020.

I wouldn't say the economy benefitted at the time, in September 2020 they entered a recession, however, they have rebounded successfully in 2021 due to being able to open up, but the lack of tourism remains an issue.

https://capital.com/new-zealand-avoi...h-2021-quarter
Thank you, for the rational reply.

Old 08-17-2021, 11:57 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,414,227 times
Rather than making fun of NZ for locking down for 1 covid case, I think the main takeaway should be: they have 1 covid case. But yes less push the fascism narrative. Living in heads rent free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies