Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2021, 03:57 PM

947 posts, read 297,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Greatest point, I've said this over and over again. No employer is forced to give someone a job. Unless there is a severe shortage in your field, or you have a great resume, you don't get job offers for every position you apply and/or interview for
The jobs are being advertised in every single store window - and at rates at least 50% higher than a year ago. Still, no takers. It's because unemployment "pay" has been made so lucrative that anyone who had earned less than $35,000 a year doesn't want to return to work.

That means that a couple that previously had earned $70,000 combined can sit home and collect nearly that much in UE. Then add in another several hundred dollars for their new government child support check, and they are financially BETTER OFF not working at all. That is the vision the liberal government has in store for America - a country of dependent, unproductive people living off the government trough - and voting for more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2021, 03:58 PM

10,846 posts, read 4,525,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
44% of Americans earning less than $18K per year is pretty meaningless without additional context. How many of these are teenagers or college students who work part time? Or part time people in general? How many heads-of-households earn that little? How many people are in the household? Do they work?

ooo ooo ooo Mr kottah, MR kottah!

my kid earned a little over 6K last year. I know, I did his taxes. It was during his summer job whilst a student.

Old 08-22-2021, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
ooo ooo ooo Mr kottah, MR kottah!

my kid earned a little over 6K last year. I know, I did his taxes. It was during his summer job whilst a student.
Good point. More meaningful would be the percentage of adults with high school diplomas (at minimum) working full time, and earning less than $18,000. Given that only 2% of the population is at minimum wage (or $15,000), the percentage under $18,000 would be similarly small.

Old 08-22-2021, 04:30 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,593,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCDonna View Post
The unemployment rate are those actively looking for jobs. We have a slew of people, content to sit back and collect the equivalent of $15/hr instead of returning to the jobs they had before COVID. Plus, they're not required to pay rent, either.

And the employers are being selective? They are BEGGING for people to take jobs at $17 or $18 hour (whereas before COVID these jobs were $11 - $12/hr). It's because Biden continues to throw money at people. If you add in the money they're now getting from their government child support checks, an unemployed couple with two kids is "earning" (cough, cough) more than they did while working.
How? I'd like to know, because I have 5 years before I retire and I wouldn't mind the government to pay me to sit on my butt for the remainder ... help me, help you to prove your point.

Old 08-22-2021, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
How? I'd like to know, because I have 5 years before I retire and I wouldn't mind the government to pay me to sit on my butt for the remainder ... help me, help you to prove your point.
You already know the answer, so I suspect you're being facetious. You need to be laid off from your job through no fault of your own, and then you get unemployment. Usually UE is around 26 weeks, but people have now been on it since March of 2020. But beyond that, the extended (bonus money from the feds, which for months was an ADDITIONAL $600 per week (!!), much more than many people earn alone, so people have been making out like bandits.

Now, you can't stay on it for five years. Never said you could. But right now, the way the libs are handing out money left and right, lower-end earners are making as much OR MORE sitting on their butt as they did working. That is why employers can't fill jobs at $17 hour that were filled a year and a half ago at $11.

It's not rocket science. The government is bribing people to stay home in order to kill businesses, keep people unemployed and unproductive - and dependent on government handouts. It's the Dems' way of getting votes.

Old 08-22-2021, 04:49 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,593,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Quote:
You already know the answer, so I suspect you're being facetious. You need to be laid off from your job through no fault of your own, and then you get unemployment. Usually UE is around 26 weeks, but people have now been on it since March of 2020. But beyond that, the extended (bonus money from the feds, which for months was an ADDITIONAL $600 per week (!!), much more than many people earn alone, so people have been making out like bandits.

Now, you can't stay on it for five years. Never said you could. But right now, the way the libs are handing out money left and right, lower-end earners are making as much OR MORE sitting on their butt as they did working. That is why employers can't fill jobs at $17 hour that were filled a year and a half ago at $11.

It's not rocket science. The government is bribing people to stay home in order to kill businesses, keep people unemployed and unproductive - and dependent on government handouts. It's the Dems' way of getting votes.
Yes, I do know the answer, that is why I know you made a bogus post. And I'm not alone in knowing that either.

The additional UI can no longer be claimed --- in order to get that the person had to be actively looking for work, even during the pandemic. If the employer did a call back to work and the person was a no show, they were an auto drop for benefits ... if the person turned down a job they were an auto drop ... if the person was sick and not available to work they were an auto drop ...
ps: poor people don't vote. the problem you have is with sympathetic earners paying taxes.

Old 08-22-2021, 04:52 PM

5,632 posts, read 1,768,109 times
Everyone needs to pay their fair share.

It's time to start taxing the bottom 61%.

Old 08-22-2021, 08:31 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,536,658 times
Quote:
The unemployment rate are those actively looking for jobs. We have a slew of people, content to sit back and collect the equivalent of $15/hr instead of returning to the jobs they had before COVID. Plus, they're not required to pay rent, either.
You understand that we track that number as well right ? Its called U-6 on the Bureau of Labor Statistics employment chart.

Its 9.2. By comparison, in December of 2019, it was 6.7 So about 3% higher, which isnt a lot considering yall believe all these incentives exist.

Quote:
And the employers are being selective? They are BEGGING for people to take jobs at $17 or $18 hour (whereas before COVID these jobs were $11 - $12/hr). It's because Biden continues to throw money at people. If you add in the money they're now getting from their government child support checks, an unemployed couple with two kids is "earning" (cough, cough) more than they did while working.
As someone who is part of the hiring process for one of the largest retailers in the nation, I can absolutely say you are wrong.

We still screen applicants. I have been one of the ones who actually does say we should lower our standards and change the process, but at the moment, you are completely wrong about how all this works.

Old 08-23-2021, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohnson69 View Post
Okay, You are right, Grz. I looked at my old returns and my effective tax rate is basically unchanged pre-2017 to post. 16%. I would have had lower tax burden from the Trump rich person give away if my kids would have stayed in day-care, summer camp, etc., but they grew up, and then I shifted some of my deductions from traditional to roth IRA, which obviously has some effect.

I still disagree with Trumps tax cuts. They benefit the rich (like me) more than anyone. Bogus. Our deficits are getting scary big in large part because Trump loves handing out money to rich people. Biden and Obama also rely on rich people for campaign $.
If they benefit rich people more than anyone, it's because rich people are paying the bulk of the taxes. Example:

1) Person 1: Pays $100,000 in taxes and gets a 5% reduction with a tax cut: Saves $5000!
2) Person 2: Pays $500 in taxes and gets a 5% reduction: Saves $25.

Now, is the complaint that person 1 saved $5000 and person 2 saved $25? What you're forgetting is that person 1 now pays $95,000 and person 2 pays $475. Person 1 is still paying 200x as much as person 2.

And our deficits are getting larger and larger because Biden is spending us into oblivion. His out-of-control spending is creating inflation (I, unlike you, am not rich and went to the grocery store on Friday - yikes!), and then handing out more money to those he decides are deserving to cover the additional food costs. All that does is drive up the food costs, since producers know government will help pay for it, and the cycle continues.

Old 08-23-2021, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
You understand that we track that number as well right ? Its called U-6 on the Bureau of Labor Statistics employment chart.

Its 9.2. By comparison, in December of 2019, it was 6.7 So about 3% higher, which isnt a lot considering yall believe all these incentives exist.

As someone who is part of the hiring process for one of the largest retailers in the nation, I can absolutely say you are wrong.

We still screen applicants. I have been one of the ones who actually does say we should lower our standards and change the process, but at the moment, you are completely wrong about how all this works.
That's YOUR experience. In my experience, I went to an ocean resort in the beginning of the summer, and the restaurants were all half-closed. I was there a week, and asked restaurants owners/managers repeatedly why they aren't opening up all the closed sections, and the answer was the same: People won't work because they are getting so much on unemployment. At one place, there was ONE waitress for the entire restaurant!

And I saw ads all over the place advertising $16 and $17 hour. I had to stop in at ACME (it's a hardware store) while I was at the beach, and the line went OUT THE DOOR because they had one cashier. They too had a sign in the window, offering $16 an hour. No takers.

The final example was at the Dunkin Donuts. Again, long line for a donut, and the sign in the window was ALSO offering $16/hr. Again, no takers.

And why? Because people are "earning" $15 an hour from the government, and they don't want to work for what would amount to $1 (after losing the UE pay).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies