Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2021, 01:48 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,625,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetGlideSpecial View Post
I agree and thank you. You guys have a really selfless profession. My mother was a teacher for 41 years and loved every moment of it.
I appreciate the kind words, thank you. I love what I do but the support of the public makes a big difference and is much appreciated. Regarding Mom, that's amazing, 41 years. God bless her and I'm sure she made a difference in many lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2021, 01:57 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,449,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmmadude View Post
Agree about context. There is no potential situation where this outcome is appropriate.

When she saw herself starting to go down that road, she should have re-centered herself and refocused the class on the appropriate topic, which in this case was a chemistry lesson. Sorry if I sound judgmental, but it's a sore spot with me, this behavior doesn't belong in the classroom.

Another point: a classroom is a place where all students should feel comfortable learning, growing, and making mistakes. How is a student going to trust a teacher who openly asserts that those who don't think in lockstep with her are lower than dirt? No trust/faith in the teacher, no environment that fosters growth.

Glad she's gone.
I agree. My mom is a teacher and all your points are right.

Old 08-20-2021, 02:22 PM

4,389 posts, read 1,699,999 times
Quote:
I never had any professors or teachers like that. I went to college late in life after serving in the military. This begs the question should teachers me monitored or recorded?
I had a professor like that in college. She was kind of nuts. I actually had two, the other was a guy. He GAVE me a B on an assignment because he didn't like my view of a political situation that we were supposed to respond to. It ended up turning my class grade into a B (we only have like 5 assignments all semester). It was the only B I ever got in college. What a doofus!

Old 08-20-2021, 02:24 PM

539 posts, read 241,262 times
im glad she lost her job . Her job is to educate not opininate . thank you .

Old 08-20-2021, 02:26 PM

4,389 posts, read 1,699,999 times
Quote:
I beg to differ, and I have experience. The teachers union is very strong where I am, Police Unions are not unilateral, some don't have unions or collective bargaining rights. Depends on where you go in the United States. I am trying to get more information about that school district.
this is true with Teachers Unions too. We're pretty strong in CA, but pretty weak in other states, especially if it is a right-to-work state.

Old 08-21-2021, 12:28 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,301,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Folks are only celebrating this because she was fired for voicing an anti-Trump opinion, not because she was ranting about something that has nothing to do with chemistry. The student is also a snitch.
Quote:
1. Still a snitch.
Snitch or Whistleblower? The left loves, celebrates and lionizes "whistleblowers" when they are exposing things they agree with, but vilifies, demeans and prosecutes "whistleblowers" when they are exposing things they don't want exposed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
This incident occurred in a public high school Chemistry class. It is reasonable to assume nearly every high school student has a phone in class and will not hesitate to record and post to social media when the educator veers off script and spouts personal opinions. A tiny percentage of whack job teachers have been filmed spouting various personal opinions about politics, religion, abortion, LBGTQ, etc.
A large percentage of my family are or have been in education as teachers and administrators, including my mother, spouse, aunts, uncles, cousins and then several of their children, a couple of whom are 4th generation educators.

I started my career as an educator and I can tell you that in my experience the vast majority of teachers who are conservatives take pains to hide their views. If they do not, they face discrimination and it damages their careers, especially at the university level.

The percentage of teachers who have been very inappropriate in the class is not small, and it is growing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Like a previous post said, give the level of importance of a child's educational experience we should have cameras in the classrooms.
As much as I'd love to get rid of all the bad, inappropriate teachers, I'd never support such intrusive, intimidating strategies. It smacks of the old Soviet Union or Cuba.

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Some of my old high school teachers were candid about their political beliefs. This was in the early 2000s (2000-2004).
It is one thing to be candid, it is another to proselytize and aggressively confront students about their beliefs.

Quote:
They may fight to make sure she gets her proper severance, but I cant see a fight to get her job back. At least with that school/district. Also depends on Utah recording law. Apparently you can record someone without their consent if you are apart of the conversation. So legally the question is was the student who recorded "active" in the conversation with "her." Just simply being in the same room is not enough.
Were you asking the same questions when Mitt Romney was illegally recorded in 2012? Did you demand prosecution of the snitch?

Quote:
Context is also important.
There are zero circumstances where this would be appropriate.

Quote:
Yeah, I saw they fired her. I agree about context, I would of liked to see more of how it started.
I think people are still missing that the original video shows two, different teachers; one in UT, one in WI. The second teacher should have been fired immediately, but we've seen how strong the unions are in WI. She is merely on "administrative leave" currently; which means she is getting paid for her bad behavior without having to work.

Old 08-21-2021, 12:47 PM

19,635 posts, read 12,226,539 times
I like the student that kept saying "this is a chemistry class"- that would have been me. The student sounds a lot more mature than the idjiot that is supposed to be teaching her. A few of my teachers were wacky like that, we just kind of laughed them off when they went on rants. I think kids now are more influenced by institutions, media, etc. so it is more serious when a teacher goes off like this.

Old 08-21-2021, 07:04 PM

13,457 posts, read 4,292,364 times
Quote:
I agree and thank you. You guys have a really selfless profession. My mother was a teacher for 41 years and loved every moment of it.

Thank God she wasn't my teacher. Teachers are not paid to push their political or religious agendas and lecture their students how to vote. If you are a chemistry teacher them you teach chemistry. Funny, your mom wouldn't find it funny if students lectures her in front of her class in how dumb her politics are. Your mother as a 41 yr. teacher wouldn't put up with that in her classroom for 1 day so why do taxpayers have to? send this crack to KFC.

Old 08-23-2021, 08:18 AM

3,730 posts, read 1,321,057 times
Quote:
I never said he shouldn't have went to his parents. And the overarching point of the thread is whether the teacher was right or wrong. I said from the beginning she was wrong. Literally everything you just typed out at me: I've already agreed with. So stop breaking your backs over one sentence.
So if you agree that the teacher was in the wrong and that the student did the right thing, why would you add that he was a snitch? That's quite a long and winded way to say it was stupid of you to make that comment since it contradicts your statement. LOL just admit that you screwed up, it's OK. You seem more mad about it than me. I literally replied back and explained why and you're throwing temper tantrums.

Quote:
And I'm older now than the last time you told me to grow up, so technically I did.

Nah, you still need to grow up.

Old 08-23-2021, 09:31 AM

5,067 posts, read 1,666,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I like the student that kept saying "this is a chemistry class"- that would have been me. The student sounds a lot more mature than the idjiot that is supposed to be teaching her.

That'd been me too only I'd went further by following it with this is not a CNN hit piece class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies