Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2021, 07:10 PM

2,916 posts, read 1,500,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Did you not realize that 99% of these loans were already in the red because these individuals had debilitating ailments, and could not work or get jobs that accommodated their disability
Dream on. This is the 1st step to their OPENLY stated goal. Repeatedly stated goal. ALWAYS, repeatedly stated goal. Wiping away ALL college dept.

Been sleeping under a rock and not seeing this on the news for years? Really?

C'mon man....

Old 08-23-2021, 07:19 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,642,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
$5.8 billion is a pittance in the federal budget. I’m not sure you understand how federal student loan forgiveness or public debt in general works if you actually think you’re paying others’ loans. And I’m not sure you understand how money for the working classes has a multiplier effect in the economy that could very well pay for itself. But good luck with the lawsuit. Sorry others’ good fortune is somehow an issue for you.
You think the total bill for student loans is 5.8 billion? It's 1.7 TRILLION. BIG difference there.

On the contrary, you have no idea what you're talking about.

The government has not one red cent to their name. It is ALL tax money.

There's not a money tree that will grow said trillions of dollars to wipe out student loans. It comes from our taxes. Everything comes from our taxes. Every single penny.

Others' good fortune a problem with me? No, but why the hell did I have to pay 50 grand for college if these kids don't have to pay a penny????? I demand 50 grand be cut from my mortgage balance.

Go pay strangers' student loans off if you think it's so just. I'm sure you'll get right on it.

Old 08-23-2021, 07:30 PM

3,637 posts, read 3,755,255 times
Paid off my own. I think others would be better off if there paid their own off. It would improve financial intelligence.

Nobody's great grandchildren will be paying for loans I took out and agreed that I would be responsible for. Disgusting.

Old 08-23-2021, 07:41 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,838,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterShipWreck View Post
Dream on. This is the 1st step to their OPENLY stated goal. Repeatedly stated goal. ALWAYS, repeatedly stated goal. Wiping away ALL college dept.

Been sleeping under a rock and not seeing this on the news for years? Really?

C'mon man....
You are himmin and hawwing over $5.8B, in the meanwhile we spent $2T in Afghanistan and Women and babies are still getting blown up over there.

Why don't the student loan forgiveness haters go after defense contractors with equal vitriol?

Another Bubba Boy just said no amendments in the Porky Pig Bill for Infrastructure unless $50B was given to his Defense contracting buddies

Old 08-23-2021, 07:43 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,838,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
Paid off my own. I think others would be better off if there paid their own off. It would improve financial intelligence.

Nobody's great grandchildren will be paying for loans I took out and agreed that I would be responsible for. Disgusting.
I think many of you simply don't understand just because you were able to pay them doesn't mean others can.

I'll have mine paid off next year and I'm not mad at anyone who couldn't afford to. Colleges should be held accountable for getting grads good jobs or they should have their charters revoked.

The job market is dysfunctional, how can you complain about people who can't pay loans, particularly with a lethal virus still on the loose

Old 08-23-2021, 07:57 PM

4,302 posts, read 1,616,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
You think the total bill for student loans is 5.8 billion? It's 1.7 TRILLION. BIG difference there.

On the contrary, you have no idea what you're talking about.

The government has not one red cent to their name. It is ALL tax money.

There's not a money tree that will grow said trillions of dollars to wipe out student loans. It comes from our taxes. Everything comes from our taxes. Every single penny.

Others' good fortune a problem with me? No, but why the hell did I have to pay 50 grand for college if these kids don't have to pay a penny????? I demand 50 grand be cut from my mortgage balance.

Go pay strangers' student loans off if you think it's so just. I'm sure you'll get right on it.
Who says they “don’t have to pay a penny”? My loans (currently about $72,000) should be forgiven in about a year or two under PSLF. In the meantime, i’ve been paying diligently until the COVID forbearance kicked in. I’ve probably paid about $36,000 on a 60,000 loan, and yet somehow still owe $72,000. That’s quite a bit more than “not a penny.”

Old 08-23-2021, 08:02 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,642,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
Who says they “don’t have to pay a penny”?”
I was responding to a post where the poster was adamant about student loan cancellation.

Old 08-23-2021, 08:12 PM

2,916 posts, read 1,500,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
You are himmin and hawwing over $5.8B, in the meanwhile we spent $2T in Afghanistan and Women and babies are still getting blown up over there.

Why don't the student loan forgiveness haters go after defense contractors with equal vitriol?

Another Bubba Boy just said no amendments in the Porky Pig Bill for Infrastructure unless $50B was given to his Defense contracting buddies
I am not happy about that either. But this is the topic on this thread....

Old 08-23-2021, 09:11 PM

31,875 posts, read 14,860,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Someone who is so disabled that they are unable to work should go into the trades? How does that work, exactly, and how does that pay off the debt they accrued before the disability occurred or progressed to a point where they are not able to work?
I never said anything about the disabled going into trades.

Old 08-24-2021, 06:32 PM

4,302 posts, read 1,616,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
These kids need to understand that college is not for everyone. There are so many trades they can go into and make a great salary
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I never said anything about the disabled going into trades.
Then what “kids” are you talking about? Because the kids who just got their loans forgiven as part of the $5.8B that this thread is about are all fully disabled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies