Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2021, 01:09 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,953,657 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious, trying to figure it all out...

PLEASE keep comments on topic, and try to refrain from attacking me or other responders. Let's see if we can create some kind of consensus of opinion worth reading and possibly even learning from.

So... would you do anything different if covid killed 25% (50% 75% ??) and/or left a large percent of survivors with long term debilities?

If so, what would you do to mitigate your risk?

Would you support an extended "total" lockdown? I mean nobody leaves home, except for emergency personnel. Military air drops of MRE rations or food tossed onto your driveway, or left outside your apt by folks in hazmat suits.

Do you think even several months of absolute lockdown would burn this out?
(We are talking 25% plus fatal, not the current 1-2%.)

Even if massive food shortages and/or scavanger crime resulted? And how should society react to that?

Even if it caused massive economic devestation that might take decades to recover?

Would you self impose isolation? How long?

Would you support euthenasia of the infected? Just in case?

How would you justify it? By that I mean, you start coughing and someone gives you the "Walking Dead" solution? "Oops, he just swallowed wrong and choked... oh well, too late."

What would happen to the world economy, and even our ability to feed the population if there were massive fatalities of 1-2 Billion people?

At what point could population reduction cascade into an extermination event.? 25%? 50%? 90?

How much chance do you think of this or another disease reaching such levels?

And finally, where do we go from here?

Oh, and when do YOU think the worst of the current virus, might pass?

Opinions please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2021, 02:27 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
10-30% of people who had COVID end up with long COVID. It has taken hundreds of thousands in the US alone either out of the workforce or limited their ability to be productive.

But that doesn't make a convincing argument when telling people not to get vaccinated and swinging the real, but rare, vaccine injuries around so no one talks about it.

Old 08-22-2021, 07:54 PM

831 posts, read 333,112 times
Nope. EVERY SINGLE PERSON on earth could die and I refuse to wear a mask or get the vaccine. Yep I am looking out for me myself and I. Don't care if that upsets anyone.

Old 08-22-2021, 08:21 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,474,425 times
Thing is if the Covid 19 were so lethal at 25%, local HC facilities would be quickly over run and we'd all find out real quick what HC is like in the 3rd world. As ER's and hospitals get clogged, and HC workers fall by the wayside, the whole shebang comes down. The economic follows the medical, something even the GOP can't object to at 25%

Old 08-22-2021, 08:36 PM

2,367 posts, read 909,786 times
Asians already went through that with SARS. The fatality rate was 15%, and for those over 65 it was 50%. That wasn't even that long ago, it was real, not an imagined scenario.

In some ways it's better because the high fatality takes the infected out of circulation. And then SARS just disappeared. With Covid, it's a marathon with no end in sight. People were cooperative last year in March and April. But can't do this long term.

Old 08-22-2021, 09:24 PM

10,872 posts, read 4,540,181 times
if covid had a 25% fatality rate, the world as you know it, would not be here. our latest estimates figure an event with a 2% mortality rate, pretty much disable the planet.

Old 08-22-2021, 09:27 PM

27,145 posts, read 15,322,979 times
I wonder if we were only misled and lied to 25% of the time if more people would be trusting.

Old 08-22-2021, 09:33 PM

2,047 posts, read 857,616 times
I do believe we will see a 25 to 30% death rate if not higher from Covid. And I do believe it will be those who took the vaccine that will see that high rate. I could scientifically explain it to you once again as I’ve tried to do many times but I don’t have the energy right now. I don’t think original poster your question will be hypothetical in the near future I just think it will be twisted and how it comes about.

If you watch closely at the statistics in different hot pockets around the country and the world you can see the flip underway as we speak. It’ll come like a big title wave with a new variant hitting at the same time the vast majority of people are finally vaccinated. The people who are vaccinated trained their immune system to look for something else other than what is coming. It will walk right through and run people over.

That’s my prediction and I’m standing by it.

Old 08-22-2021, 09:38 PM

15,848 posts, read 6,547,612 times
Both SARS (9.6%) and MERS (34.3%) had a higher fatality rate. COVID-19 was more "successful" because it has a higher transmission rate. A 25% fatality rate combined with the high transmission rate of the Delta variant would be crushingly scary for everybody.

Old 08-22-2021, 09:45 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,058,679 times
According to worldmeters dot com,

in The United States, the death rate to date is 675,058 which on a population of 330 MILLION is 0.05115819%

If it was 25%, I would be freaking the ***k out, because that would mean 1 in 4 people you know would be dropping over dead. But that's not the case. At 0.5% fatality rate, thats SAD for the people who have died, but 2.8 Million people die of ALL CAUSES in a claendar year, heart disease still kills more people than Coronavirus:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/deaths.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies