Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2021, 02:35 PM

57,286 posts, read 26,206,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma-metrowest View Post
I've just been slightly following the Afghanistan saga. Does anyone know how the hell the Taliban wound up with heavy American military equipment? Why in the world, when we gift such equipment even to allies, do we not have some way of disabling it or tracking it, etc? It is our tax dollars, now being used for oppression.

Thoughts?
S0 your worried about military equipment left behind, have you also been worried about what the hell we have been doing there for the last 20 years.

Old 08-22-2021, 02:37 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,711,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Americans wanted us out, every president since Bush wanted to withdraw but the military influenced them to stay. They also wanted to keep a military force in Afghanistan. This thread is about what went wrong in Afghanistan, supposedly we beat the Taliban back in 2001 so what were we still doing there in 2021.

This was always a civil war, if the Afghans didn't want the Taliban in control they should have settled it not the US. Once again we went into a country knowing little about the country think we could impose our values on their system, we have seen this song before.

Our military never met a war they didn't think they could win, they are the last to admit reality. They only need more time, more troops, more equipment and they will win the day.
I've wanted a withdrawal from Afghanistan for several years, I just didn't want to see it done with less competence than the average 8th grader could manage. Unfortunately, the man who has been known as a screwup in Washington for 50 years managed to screw up again.

Obama said it best. "Never underestimate Joe's ability to eff things up."

Old 08-22-2021, 02:52 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Liberalism? In Afghanistan?
Zooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

Straight over your head.....

Old 08-22-2021, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
I've wanted a withdrawal from Afghanistan for several years, I just didn't want to see it done with less competence than the average 8th grader could manage. Unfortunately, the man who has been known as a screwup in Washington for 50 years managed to screw up again.

Exactly.

Old 08-22-2021, 03:08 PM

57,286 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post

We were in Afghanistan far too long, this should have certainly been done under Bush also Obama or Trump. The military was always optimistic, they always just needed a little more time and a few more troops. Anyone who believed that the military or government was capable is either a fool or a liar.

But keep complaining about the withdrawal, I wish people had this enthusiasm attacking congress and the presidents for the last 20 years instead of making believe this was going to end with a great democracy in Afghanistan.

Old 08-22-2021, 03:09 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,045,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Bush2 went wrong as it was his failed war.
[@youtube]y1A2Xln--So[@/youtube]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1A2Xln--So

Old 08-22-2021, 03:26 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,711,121 times
Quote:
We were in Afghanistan far too long, this should have certainly been done under Bush also Obama or Trump. The military was always optimistic, they always just needed a little more time and a few more troops. Anyone who believed that the military or government was capable is either a fool or a liar.

But keep complaining about the withdrawal, I wish people had this enthusiasm attacking congress and the presidents for the last 20 years instead of making believe this was going to end with a great democracy in Afghanistan.
Glad I have your permission to complain about the withdrawal, considering it was a massive screw-up of epic proportions.
I never expected Democracy in Afghanistan, I just expected for our President to not create a hostage situation and a humanitarian crisis in a matter of days and then dip out on vacation while refusing to answer any questions that weren't pre-approved.
But hey, I guess in your mind it's no big deal that the Taliban are using our military equipment to torture and kill people.

Old 08-22-2021, 03:28 PM

Quote:

Changing the rules again (bold), and beleive me NOBODY is surprised, with posters such as you.

You were VERY vocal in attacking president trump in the 4 years he was our president, why are you complaning now?

Old 08-22-2021, 03:47 PM

15,837 posts, read 6,543,563 times
I think it was a Sisyphean task and we were fooling ourselves into thinking we could leave a stabilized Afghanistan. But it did buy us some time to set up our homeland defenses and take out Bin Laden, and for that I believe it was worthwhile. I also suspect that we planted some ideological seeds there that may pay off in the long run. For now though, it's a Dunkirk.

Old 08-22-2021, 04:24 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
[@youtube]y1A2Xln--So[@/youtube]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1A2Xln--So

Nice, a ****ing pro-Biden infomercial!

That solves everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySgRpBap7YQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies