Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2021, 01:56 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,784,418 times

Advertisements

I avoid the news media on the whole. I never watch any of the news outlets on TV and only rarely read a news article. I get more news than I need from just coming on this forum and reading the posts. However, today was one of those rare occasions. I just finished reading a news article about Biden and the Afghanistan situation.

In the beginning of the article the author says Biden (unlike his erratic, self-absorbed predecessor) brought foreign policy seasoning, adults-in-the-room judgment and a surfeit of empathy to the Oval Office. (GOT to get that dig in at President Trump). He's seemingly making excuses for Biden's actions in this catastrophe (I say this one since I believe there are more to come on the horizon) and generally making it sound like he's whitewashing all of it and giving Biden a free pass.

Well, okey dokey, that's typical liberal "journalism" for you. But then he turned about face, taking a stronger stance and said that during his speech Biden made assertions seemingly at odds with reality just as he had done all week,

He wrote that Biden largely disavowed any errors but instead pointed the finger at his predecessor, Donald Trump; the now-deposed Afghan government; the vanishing Afghan security forces and even Afghan civilians. Earlier in the article he seemed to be praising Biden for saying the buck stops here. So which is it? I always understood when one says the buck stops with me they mean they are taking full responsibility for the decisions and any consequences that might occur from their actions. Does this writer even recognize the contradiction here? I'm one of those either you do or you don't people, so which the hell is it?

Now that he is on to taking a harsher stance it seems against Biden as he goes on to mention when Biden was asked about pictures of fleeing Afghans packed into planes and some even falling to their death after trying to sneak aboard, that he interrupted, saying “that was four days ago, five days ago.” The writer goes on to say it was in fact two days earlier and hardly made less horrific by the passage of a couple of sunsets. Well, I certainly agree with that. My question is, "What about this empathy you said Biden brought to the Oval Office? Did you forget you said that at the beginning of your article"?

He finally ends the misery of this piece of contradictions by saying the Biden team’s cold political calculation is that the outrage expressed by the Washington political class and the ghastly images shown by the national news media will have little lasting effect on Americans. That they will soon forget the messy departure but remember that the president got the United States out of a failed war. He then comments they might be right since by Friday several large city newspapers had no stories about Afghanistan on their front pages.

The entire article was actually a mess of contradictions. Puts me in mind of that old idiom like rats fleeing a sinking ship. It is almost comical watching the liberal press squirming to crawdad their way out of the mess they have created for all of us. I say comical, but actually not one bit funny. It's tragic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2021, 02:02 PM

3,161 posts, read 2,744,408 times
I thought I'd seen it all when last summer's rioting was continually dismissed as "mostly peaceful protesting" by the media.

Biden, Afghanistan and the media's coverage are not surprising.

Old 08-21-2021, 02:05 PM

27,715 posts, read 16,217,191 times
What Afghanistan? That was so 5 days ago. Covid id's are the hot new thing.
I catch an evening broadcast once in a great while. Nothings changed. Subterfuge mixed with a dash of half truth and 2 scoops of omission.

Old 08-21-2021, 02:40 PM

27,216 posts, read 15,393,148 times
What is going on now in our nation is revolting, disgusting, and void of any virtue whatsoever.
When anything goes you wind up in the sewer.
The stench is overwhelming.

Last edited by bluesjuke; 08-21-2021 at 03:29 PM..

Old 08-21-2021, 02:51 PM

52,823 posts, read 34,710,167 times
where is the article in question?

Old 08-21-2021, 03:24 PM

2,367 posts, read 913,520 times
If politicians are contradicting themselves, why not journalists? The two are closer than ever. The Secretary of State Blinken used to work for CNN. When journalists submit questions for the WH press conference ahead of time to Biden's staff, they're just putting on a show. It's fake, staged, like a Hollywood movie. The press was supposed to keep an eye on the politicians for us. But now they no longer work for us, they work for the politicians.

Old 08-21-2021, 03:55 PM

12,200 posts, read 7,253,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
I thought I'd seen it all when last summer's rioting was continually dismissed as "mostly peaceful protesting" by the media.

Biden, Afghanistan and the media's coverage are not surprising.
Yup. Riots, looting, fires, murders all across the country by BLM and Antifa were portrayed by the liberal media as “the people exercising free speech” or “peaceful protests.”

Meanwhile, a bunch of people mostly taking selfies during the January 6th march—who by the way had no intention of staying in DC and taking over the government—were labeled an “insurrection.”

The pro-Leftist bias from the mainstream media is so obvious but half the country believes all that propaganda from them.

Old 08-21-2021, 04:04 PM

327 posts, read 212,290 times
Those night time tv shows such as d bag Steve Colbert and try too had Sam Bee have not said a lot on this topic and when they did they never mentioned the current administration from screwing up. Had it been trump they would have been all over this saying trump killed all these people etc. hypocrites, all of them.

Old 08-21-2021, 06:49 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,784,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
where is the article in question?
It was hot as heck outside today so I was staying in the A/C and browsing the internet. At times I was using Google and clicking on things that looked like they might be interesting and then straying off on various click baits and don't remember where I saw this.

It was intriguing to me though, seeing as how it was so back and forth and all within a few paragraphs. I'm use to politicians talking out of both sides of their mouths and the liberal so-called "journalists" damning Trump and loving up on all the lefties antics. But this struck me funny as it seems even they are now starting to throw a little shade since it's so obvious their beloved libs are going down and going down hard. Pitiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies