Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2021, 09:14 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,524,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
Boycott Brisbane 2032
Look, if all the "but muh freedom" cohort choose to boycott, that would be most welcome I can assure you. You wouldn't be able to carry a gun anyway so your freedoms would just be trampled all over.

We look forward to welcoming all the normal Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2021, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
That's fine. I think you're brainwashed.
Yet you can't put forward anything to support that. You don't understand the words you used and also don't understand the situation or facts of the situation here.

How can a conversation occur when one side refuses to acknowledge words have meaning and truth actually matters. It's like trying to talk to a intersectional theorist or Jan 6 insurrection conspiracy proponent.

But at least you learned something out of this and probably save yourself some embarrassment moving forward.

Old 08-23-2021, 09:19 PM

17,625 posts, read 6,914,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
Yet you can't put forward anything to support that. You don't understand the words you used and also don't understand the situation or facts of the situation here.

How can a conversation occur when one side refuses to acknowledge words have meaning and truth actually matters. It's like trying to talk to a intersectional theorist or Jan 6 insurrection conspiracy proponent.

But at least you learned something out of this and probably save yourself some embarrassment moving forward.
Except you’re the person trying to rewrite the English language and history, not me. It’s OK - enjoy your life of “not lockdown” or whatever you feel the need to call it.

Old 08-23-2021, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I'll be the aussies wished they hadn't given up their guns now that they're being forced to deal with jack booted storm troopers.
Here comes another ignorant...

There are more guns here now than at the point of the buyback. NRA talking points will lead you astray.

As an aside, I enjoy the hyperbole of the jack booted storm troopers. Now tell me are you using this in the German military context or the Starwars context?

Old 08-23-2021, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Except you’re the person trying to rewrite the English language and history, not me. It’s OK - enjoy your life of “not lockdown” or whatever you feel the need to call it.
Your own government defines the word the same way as every sentient human. I even gave it to you

We don't have a word for not in lockdown. It's just normal life. Except no one I know has covid and no one I know, knows anyone who has had it or died from it.

Old 08-23-2021, 09:26 PM

13,423 posts, read 9,955,563 times
Quote:
Sorry, Aussiehoff, you're the one who's changed the meaning of the word. And you still haven't provided one historical example where this kind of locking people in their own houses has ever been tried before. You haven't because you can't.

Listen, you can stay locked down for the rest of your life if you want. I don't live there, thank God.
People aren't being locked in their own houses, ffs.

Jesus you people don't understand anything.

Here's an interesting history of quarantine, where people were isolated for being either in contact with or suspected of being in contact with infected persons:

Quote:
During the first wave of cholera outbreaks, the strategies adopted by health officials were essentially those that had been used against plague. New lazarettos were planned at western ports, and an extensive structure was established near Bordeaux, France (26). At European ports, ships were barred entry if they had “unclean licenses” (i.e., ships arriving from regions where cholera was present) (27). In cities, authorities adopted social interventions and the traditional health tools. For example, travelers who had contact with infected persons or who came from a place where cholera was present were quarantined, and sick persons were forced into lazarettos. In general, local authorities tried to keep marginalized members of the population away from the cities (27). In 1836 in Naples, health officials hindered the free movement of prostitutes and beggars, who were considered carriers of contagion and, thus, a danger to the healthy urban population (27,28). This response involved powers of intervention unknown during normal times, and the actions generated widespread fear and resentment.
That's just from reading the first page. No doubt there are plenty of examples through history where healthy people were quarantined until they proved they were not infected with the outbreak du jour.

This all sounds eerily familiar: (in regard to Spanish Flu)

Quote:
Health authorities in major cities of the Western world implemented a range of disease-containment strategies, including the closure of schools, churches, and theaters and the suspension of public gatherings. In Paris, a sporting event, in which 10,000 youths were to participate, was postponed (36). Yale University canceled all on-campus public meetings, and some churches in Italy suspended confessions and funeral ceremonies. Physicians encouraged the use of measures like respiratory hygiene and social distancing. However, the measures were implemented too late and in an uncoordinated manner, especially in war-torn areas where interventions (e.g., travel restrictions, border controls) were impractical, during a time when the movement of troops was facilitating the spread of the virus.
Given that unfortunately we have no idea who has or hasn't come into contact with infected persons - it's not unreasonable to restrict the movement of whole populations where the virus is present.

Please note there have been no lockdowns or restrictions where and when there is no virus.

Old 08-23-2021, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post

That's just from reading the first page. No doubt there are plenty of examples through history where healthy people were quarantined until they proved they were not infected with the outbreak du jour.
It is fun to watch.

As to the bold, yep, that is one of the two reasons that quarantine was invented and used including to this day by the US government. RowingF knows that but just can't back down from what he read on a FB group somewhere.

Old 08-23-2021, 09:37 PM

13,423 posts, read 9,955,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
Here comes another ignorant...

There are more guns here now than at the point of the buyback. NRA talking points will lead you astray.

As an aside, I enjoy the hyperbole of the jack booted storm troopers. Now tell me are you using this in the German military context or the Starwars context?
I find it absolutely ironic that Americans should chastise Aussies on the relationship between law enforcement and the general public.

Not only that, but we have no (modern) history of the military (National Guard) opening fire on or otherwise injuring their fellow citizens.

Our defense force isn't even armed, when asked to help in a domestic crisis.

Old 08-23-2021, 09:38 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Tell me when healthy people were quarantined before 2020. I'll wait.
It was common practice for shiploads of arriving immigrants to be quarantined on Ellis Island if just one person showed symptoms of diseases like Typhus, Cholera, Diphtheria, Tuberculosis, etc., etc...

It worked because: "America’s population on the mainland had been well protected: no public health outbreak was ever traced back to an immigrant on Ellis Island."1

Old 08-23-2021, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I find it absolutely ironic that Americans should chastise Aussies on the relationship between law enforcement and the general public.

Not only that, but we have no (modern) history of the military (National Guard) opening fire on or otherwise injuring their fellow citizens.

Our defense force isn't even armed, when asked to help in a domestic crisis.
It's just the fringe crazies. But the good news is they aren't going to come to Brisbane in 2032.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies