Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2021, 03:06 PM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is one of the reasons I don't see it as something recent. I know enough about U.S. history to understand that parts of the USA have resembled slums for quite some time, and have been forgotten. Corruption has been around for ages. The free market, well, I wouldn't say the free market per se. I would say mostly corruption. Parts of the Deep South were as feudalistic as plantation societies in the Caribbean.
Maybe the USA is just returning to what it has always been: a corrupt plutocracy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2021, 03:12 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,984,846 times
I would be thinking more along the lines of Venezuela or Cuba.

Two classes seem to be emerging in the US. Liberal left wing idealists and the working class who fund them and do their bidding. I suppose it's a balanced system, one could say. The one side does the thinking, deciding and instructing while the other side does their bidding and labor.

Last edited by 303Guy; 08-22-2021 at 03:53 PM..

Old 08-22-2021, 03:26 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanGuitarist View Post
Yep, about as close to Brazil they can make it. Now if only they can wall in these cities and let the problem sort itself out.
It’s already there- see the rise of the gated community, particularly in the Sunbelt.

And the thing with American optimism and exceptionalism is that so many rush to embrace it because they believe they’ll be the person with the McMansion behind the gate and not the person hired to clean the McMansion’s toilets for $10/hour

Old 08-22-2021, 03:32 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,358,673 times
It’s certainly not becoming Norway.

Old 08-22-2021, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
It’s already there- see the rise of the gated community, particularly in the Sunbelt.

And the thing with American optimism and exceptionalism is that so many rush to embrace it because they believe they’ll be the person with the McMansion behind the gate and not the person hired to clean the McMansion’s toilets for $10/hour
At one time, that was a realistic goal for many Americans. At the very least, SEC movement from working class to middle/upper-middle class was certainly a reachable goal, one I’ve personally witnessed more times than not.

Grandparents who worked as factory laborers or secretarial, kids went to college and moved into professional middle class, grandkids more educated and moved into upper-middle. A select few in the second generation skyrocketed past upper middle class by inventing a valuable product and making sound business decisions.

But that was in a different time period, with different social and economic conditions.

Today? Who knows…so much is different now.

Old 08-22-2021, 03:42 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingna View Post
It’s certainly not becoming Norway.
It was never going to be Norway. And I'm not talking about demographics. I'm speaking about how things are ran.

Old 08-22-2021, 03:46 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,252,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Maybe the USA is just returning to what it has always been: a corrupt plutocracy.
Correct, the USA peaked as a cohesive society in the 30s-90s. That was after a lot of immigration from northern Europe, plus a century or more of cultural exchange, raised the bar for the existing inhabitants.

At this point the only hope for a high-trust, cohesive society is immigration from east Asia. Population pressures are such that northern Europe will no longer supply immigrants.

Old 08-22-2021, 03:52 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
Nordic countries are losing their prestige status as the global elites force feed refugees into those countries also. I mean, I'm not against all immigration, but the force feeding of people who suck from government services without contributing brings a whole host of problems with it. Allowing people to form their own subcultures within countries instead of assimilating with the host culture and learning it's language also brings with it problems.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/11/b...migration.html

The "smart people" simply don't understand science as much as they claim too. They tend to act based on how they feel, and worry about the consequences later.

Old 08-22-2021, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Correct, the USA peaked as a cohesive society in the 30s-90s. That was after a lot of immigration from northern Europe, plus a century or more of cultural exchange, raised the bar for the existing inhabitants.

At this point the only hope for a high-trust, cohesive society is immigration from east Asia. Population pressures are such that northern Europe will no longer supply immigrants.

No, it’s to close immigration completely for a set time period, and for everyone to assimilate by taking the best features of all the cultures in the USA, to form a singular culture underpinning a cohesive, well-functioning society.

But we know that will NEVER happen.

Old 08-22-2021, 04:03 PM

25,721 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Not from where I sit. Sorry if your lives are so rough that's how you feel. Hope things get better.
That can be said in any nation. Even the poorest, most retched countries on earth. It is said by the elites in those nations. There are people in Somalia who can say exactly what you say here. It must be nice, huh? But remember, Marie Antoinette said that as well... and presumably something about eating cake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies